Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Looking for opinions on baits for river smallmouths. Please identify your favorite: A) Live Bait .... B) Artificial Bait.
I'll go first: Favorite live bait = stonecats .... Favorite artificial = bucktail streamer in crawdad colors.

Your turn,
GPA

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rooster Tail spinner, 1/8 oz, brown/black with gold blade. grin

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mudpuppies (illegal in some places, check your regs). 4" straight tail slider worm on as light as possible weedless spider lead head.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for a Rooster Tail, but orange flo with a gold blade or brown with a gold blade...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A. Live Crawdads. B. Articicial Crawdads.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Live bait nightcrawlers, artificial, lead jighead with a white curlytail grub. Everything above as posted will work great. If you've never fished the particular river, do a recon and find out what others are using.

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
What....nobody likes hellgramites? They are my second favorite live bait: easy to collect and deadly on most gamefish.

Some here like Rooster Tail spinners. I do, too, but have had more success with Mepps.

Whatever you catch them on.....nothing fights live a river smallmouth.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Kind of a generac answer, but what ever they're biting on. Here we have quite a few rivers with smallmouths in them. Minnows and crawlers would be my first choice under a slip bobber. The smaller rivers and streams I seem to have good luck with small mepps spinners.

Really like a #3 spinner and smaller. Usually the best one seems to be a plain gold spinner with the brass weights on it with no tail or feathers. Second place would be the #3 Mepps with a gold spinner and yellow feathers. For some reason with the yellow feathers I seem to catch a lot of northerns too, but it seems to work when they are not biting anything else.

In the WI River, which is pretty big, minnows and crawlers are still #1 on the live bait. But for artificials craw colored Shad Raps and jointed craw looking baits that bang off the bottom. When the craw type baits don't work, which is not very often, I throw minnow type baits usually on the smaller side 2-4".

In the small rivers and streams I like the deeper pools off of a good rapids, they seem grab the minnows and grubs that race down them. In the larger rivers and lakes nothing beat a good rock bar. Trees and wood come in a close second.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sorry, I went a little deeper than what I think you were asking for.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My favorite live bait is live minnows hooked through the lips using circle hooks.

As for artificials, I have caught more smallmouth bass on a 1/4 oz blue/silver Little Cleo spoon than any other lure I've used.
In fact, I must be the only person to do so as most smallmouth anglers seem to chuckle when I mention the Little Cleo spoon and smallmouth bass.

I also have good success using Zara Spooks, small Rapala Husky Jerk and 3 inch Berkley Power Grubs(Pumpkinseed and Pumpkinseed/Chartruse) on 1/8 oz jigheads.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I grew up fishing Maryland and Virginia rivers for smallmouth, and Dad still fishes a couple times a week. For MD/VA/WV smallmouths, tube jigs in some version of green or pumpkinseed, usually on a 1/8 jighead. Second choice would be a Rebel crawfish.

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
No you didn't. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GPA

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I, too, like the Little Cleo....though I like the Wobl-Rite better. Zara Spooks are among my favorites as well.

Thanks,
GPA

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Not my favorite, but a buddy uses a 6" "Zoom" Lizard (pumpkinseed color) with 1/8th oz worm sinker and worm hook.

Fished where there is enough current to cause the bait to tink, tink along the riverbed as one raises and lowers their rod tip.

I have seen him take black perch (never would have guessed that they could get it in their mouth) with it when searching for Smallies.

My favorite does really well and did account for the biggest Smallie I have ever seen alive. You know how long it takes to land a 27 inch fish on 4 pound test line?

Best part is he is still there unless someone else has caught and kept him. It is a great fishery and I have enjoyed many hours there.

Where is this section of water many ask. I am always quick to share my favorite fishing waters with each and every person that does ask. Hey it is right there, below the dam . . . somplace

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
So....What IS your favorite??

YUP....My favorite smallmouth water is just below (relative term) the dam, as well!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=JRaw]I grew up fishing Maryland and Virginia rivers for smallmouth, and Dad still fishes a couple times a week. For MD/VA/WV smallmouths, tube jigs in some version of green or pumpkinseed, usually on a 1/8 jighead. Second choice would be a Rebel crawfish. [/quote

The green pumkin tubes are still catching smallmouths in the Potomac...especially this year.

Doc

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
OK.....Different slant on this topic: How do you guys fish those tube jigs? My jigging experience is practically nil (Been known to kick up my heels in a gin mill after a couple of beers, but that ain't what we're talking about here.), and every time I do try jigging, I end up catching bottom more than anything else. Got any tips for me?

Thanks,
GPA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a 27inch smallie,i have to see that to believe it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
BS meter is going off big time. The world record for a smallmouth bass is 27 inches and 11 pounds. The somewhere this fellow mentions is "in his mind."

William Clunie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,552
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.