Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you guys think about a 7X57 in a 1-A but stamped .275 Rigby and with upgraded wood? Shouldn't be too hard/expensive to talk Ruger into this as they already make the exact rifle and would just have to change the barrel stamp and put better wood on. Would anybody be interested?

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A or RSI?

I'd thought the same idea. I've read rumors of a .275 Rigby stamping for a Dallas Gun Club order. I wish my 7x57 had some of the wood the older models have.

Last edited by prostrate8; 07/13/08.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prostrate8
A or RSI?

I'd thought the same idea. I've read rumors of a .275 Rigby stamping for a Dallas Gun Club order. I with my 7x57 had some of the wood the older models have.

I was thinking the 1-A might be more popular. Ruger's website says there were some, somewhere, that went as .275 Rigby. I was thinking of getting really good wood carlo AAA or better. (Even if we have to supply it)

Last edited by SakoAlberta; 07/13/08.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the idea, but in a more practical sense I'd prefer to upgrade the wood myself if Ruger can't save me the coin through volume purchasing. I can see a Neider style case colored buttplate and gripcap. More copious checkering and in a different pattern. Perhaps even an ebony forearm cap. I'd planned that for my current RSI, but money issues (read: birth of baby boy) put the kibosh on that idea. When the boy is ready to hunt he gets my unmodified #1 and I get to pursue a custom job.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, when I said 'we supple it' I meant our retail store. We can get great deals on some good stuff and, I thought we might send in enough for the whole order.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
For clarification, the Dallas Arms Collectors Association Ruger No. 1 is a RSI and is caliber stamped .275 Rigby. They are specially serial numbered with DACAXXX. About 100 were supposedly made; the highest number I know of is DACA079.
I am not aware of a run of the 1A made marked .275 Rigby.
If someone has a serious want for one of the DACA Club rifles, they should PM me and I will see if I can help.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I don't think it would be such a hot idea. Finding headstamped brass would be a PITA, which would make international travel with it, a huge PITA. I'd prefer to see it in a 7x57R, or better still, the 7x65R. Eventually, I plan to either re-barrel, or re-chamber my 1A 7x57 to 7x65R. Single shots and rimmed cartridges, just go together! JMO.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested in hearing more, but since I already have a 7x57 I'd probably pass. A 35 Whelen would be interesting to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
YES!!!! but put an express style rear sight on it, I guess a 1A would be good. I like the idea of a steel buttplate and grip cap too.

i like "classic" cartridges.

although rimmmed or flanged cases are more correct for a classic single shot.

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 07/14/08.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by akjeff
Personally, I don't think it would be such a hot idea. Finding headstamped brass would be a PITA, which would make international travel with it, a huge PITA. I'd prefer to see it in a 7x57R, or better still, the 7x65R. Eventually, I plan to either re-barrel, or re-chamber my 1A 7x57 to 7x65R. Single shots and rimmed cartridges, just go together! JMO.

Jeff

Jeff,

Before you even think of rechambering a 1-A in 7x57 to 7x65R, you should read Ken Waters treatise on the 7x64. It seems that cartridge base diameter of the 7x65 is SMALLER than the 7x57, Which means in effect that one must rebarrel. I have a Pac-Nor already turned to #1-A contour for this express purpose.... smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point Grasshopper. A re-barrel would be in order, and the 7x64/7x65R would benefit from a little longer tube, anyway.

Regards,

Jeff

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got a RSI in 7x57... and often thought I might rather have it in 7x57R because, as AkJeff said, "Single shots and rimmed cartridges, just go together!"

The same might be said of the .275 Rigby stamp... it would be unusual and, therefore, kinda neat to have.

Of course, getting cartridge cases stamped ".275 Rigby" might be difficult as would getting rimmed 7x57 Mauser cartridge cases.

I've already had a Kipplinger single set-trigger put into my RSI... 'cause it just seems that a Mannlicher-stocked rifle NEEDS to have a "set-trigger"... and a rimmed case and/or a "nostalgic" ("RIGBY") name-plate on it's cartridge case could be a truly desirable addition as well. smile

But... HEYYYYYYYYYYY... a fella CAN "dream", don't cha know ?!? grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Would take a sizeable order and even then it's not a gaurantee. I know from talking with the more promonant folks that contract special runs from Ruger that there's almost zero availability for any additional special runs for a a bit. they're simply too busy. To really make such a run feasable from a financial standpoint believe 1000 would really be needed.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Friend Ron,

IIRC, I talked to writer and gunsmith; Dieter Sturm, of Laramie, Wy about rechambering the #1 for 7x57R. This is easily done. as all that's needed is to make the chamber recessed for the rim. Other than that, the chamber dimensions are identical.

In fact, since the #1 has a spring loaded extractor, I believe that it would chamber and eject the rimless case as well. I guess one would just have to try it. I have been sorely tempted to rechamber my #1-A to the Rimmed version, for the above stated reasons. It just seems like the "right" thing to do. smile

Only reason I haven't, is because I am a "dyed-in-the-wool" medium bore fan. And even tho' I own a 7x57 and like it immensely, it is highly unlikely that I'd ever actually hunt with it. Thus is falls in the category of "Why bother..." smile

I know it seems like a cardinal sin to not hunt with the 1-A in 7x57, but I have a plethora of medium bore rifles that I' ve not yet hunted with. And at my age I don't have an abundance of seasons left to use them. smile

In fact, I intend to have a 1-A in 8x57 Mauser ready to hunt with this year. smile As well as another in .338 Federal. Thus, the 7x57 continues to take a back seat. blush

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My good friend, Grasshopper...

You are, indeed, "EVIL" Sir... (grin) ... to put forth such "temptation" before me... ARRRGGGGGGG... now you are giving me even MORE reason to go for the 7x57R (Gnashing of teeth and a mournful "moan")... what-to-do... Ohhhhh-what-to-do... (MAJOR sniffle)........... grin grin grin

Seriously... I wonder how "available" the cartridge cases with the "7x57R" headstamp are... and what they would COST ?!?!?

Any Members got ANY idea ?!?!? confused

And I just bought another 100 7x57 new (virgin) brass..... (SIGH) !~!~! frown

Shucky-DARN !!! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Friend Ron,

I went thru a period a few years ago that I bought about everything that Midway had on sale that I thought I might ever use. I picked up 20 pcs of Norma brass in 7x57R for the princely sum of $11.99. smile

As above, I'm sure that Graf's carries them and likely Widener's reloading, as well. I do believe that they are somewhat more pricey than standard 7x57 brass. However, for most of us, 50 pcs will last most of a lifetime. Besides, at our age, a few $'s spent can reap a great amount of satisfaction. smile

Take care,

Grasshopper

(PS: Feeling smugly Evil, here...) grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To all,

Its just my take but I think that the 275 Rigby is a regular 7X57 and a 7X57R is a rimmed version of the 7X57.

"The 7x57 Mauser (.275 Rigby)

By Chuck Hawks

The 7x57 was developed by the famous German firm of Mauser in 1892, and adopted by the Spanish government in 1893. Subsequently, several Latin American countries adopted the 7x57, including Mexico. In Europe, Serbia adopted the cartridge, and it became a popular sporting cartridge all over Europe. In Great Britain the 7x57 became so popular that the John Rigby Company adopted it as the .275 Rigby. Many bolt action rifles built in the UK were so marked. Under both names the cartridge was used extensively for plains and mountain game in Africa and Asia. Ammunition is manufactured and sold in Europe, Africa, North America and most of the world. The 7x57 is a true world-wide cartridge.

W.D.M. Bell, perhaps the most famous of all African commercial ivory hunters, killed the majority of his over 1000 elephants with the 7x57. He used the 175 grain FMJ bullet for brain shots, and liked the .275 Rigby (as he called the 7x57) for its accuracy and low recoil and report. ...."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And I beleive the rimmed 7x57 is loaded lighter for the old break action rifles.But with the Ruger action this will not be a problem? I have a brno combination in 7x57R and 12 gauge sitting at the gunshop waiting for the paper work to clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 34 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.