-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We've gotten into the start of the dog days of summer here in the SE. It's time to start night fishing, not as hot and the fish are more active. My boat is rigged with blacklights and i've got white floater lights also. We'll throw out juglines and hang limblines for cats, then fish points and edges for bass. They run alot of night fishing tournaments in this area. Anybody else night fish?

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We do it for Muskies a bit and Walleyes quite a lot. For walleys it works good in the clear lakes where they can be tough to catch durring the day.

Muskies, well they almost always bite better in the evening/dark. We pretty much use head lamps for tying lures and baiting hooks and general moving around the boat. If we're muskie fishing, we will use the high powered spot lights for netting/gaffing and removing hooks.

I have tried to have lights or lanterns on in the boat all the time at night, but it seems to attract more bugs than be much more of a help. If you are manurving a river though, I could see where you need to have light all the time.

Tournaments at night, that might be a riot. Sounds like fun,

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fishing a bass tournament tonight, 6pm-8am, on Sam Rayburn.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why the night tournies? Is it a water temp thing or something else all together?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooler @ night. Summer time in TX is hot, as it is in AL. Supposed to hit 100^ today in Bama. Not to mention night t'ments are way fun.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yesser, hot and still. Saturday night was a long night for me. My partner ws ill, so I fished alone. I caught one small keeper at 8pm, and a 4# ap 6:60am. Lost a couple of good fish,deep in the weeds at daylight. A tremendous mayfly hatch made things messy, too. I did enjoy watching the bats try to catch my lures in the beautiful full moon!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Topwater nite fishing is one of the biggest rushes I have ever experienced fishing.

Just gets the heart a pounding....

Pretty neat when the Northern Lights decide to grace you with a show also....

Last edited by benp; 07/25/08.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I do tons of night fishing for bass up here in MI. Mostly because thats when the kids go to bed and the wife gets home, not all to happy that I am walking out as she i walking in.

Throw moslty buzzbaits if there is a little breeze, just enough for a little chop on the water. About 5 nights out of the whole summer up here, you can catch fish all night, one after another.

For the real still muggy nights with no air moving at all, I throw a black culprit 8" or 6" Texas rig 1/16 - 3/8 weight in 7-18 ft of water till I find them. Most often, a simple verticle jig is what they are after. I have lots of stories about the big one that got away at night....mostly cause the net was at home in the garage...

My absolute favorite time to fish, like it should be, you dont feel as if your all alone of the lake, you know you are!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Another vote for night fishing. My fishing pardner (wife) is afraid of the dark so we don't do enough night fishing.

The best time for catfishing in Idaho.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I love night fishing in western Minnesota. Alone or with a friend, we still have some pristeen/primitive lakes all to ourselves fishing from dark to dawn.

We've night fished in all sorts of weather, wind, rain, even snow, throughout early Spring to late Fall.

It's a different and intriguing world in an open boat out on open water- sometimes watching the stars, meteor showers, the moon rising- the stark silhouetted wooded shorelines- and the anticipation and heart stopping sensation when a Big Walleye takes your shiner, sucker minnow, or Rapala.

It's always been my favorite thing to do. The "night" is always an adventure.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 50 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,495
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.