Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
rain and snow are great hunting..until my ass gets wet.them im done.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
First I should say that I am a hunter.....not a collector....even though I own 11 Savage 99's. My guns were bought to use not look at, even though I consider the '99 to be the sexiest rifle ever built and a work of art.

Of course I take my '99's out in the rain. In Texas, it's often hot and dry during the deer season. The days when it rains and cools off (particularly if it's one of those slow, drizzly rains) is the best time to sneak through the woods and surprize a buck out enjoying the weather.

I do wax the stocks and oil and clean everything after a day in the wet, but I don't treat my '99's any different than my other guns. No safe queens at my house!!

I have come to the point that I realize the value of true collector-grade '99's. In years past I have "ruined" several almost perfect rifles with scratches and wear from hunting.....and all of my rifles are drilled and tapped soon after I get my hands on them.

The only thing I do differently now than in years past is when I come across a rifle that is untouched and "too nice to hunt with"......I trade it to a true "collecor" who appreciates the condition, for a '99 with lesser condition that I can hunt with (plus an appropriate amount of cash!!). Works out quite well.....they get a "pretty" rifle they want, and I end up with a great "shooter"......sometimes basically "free".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...My 99F in 284 Winchester is a pet of mine and goes afield only on special occasions. In inclement weather I carry my Brown Precision "High Country", hardchrome throughout, it is impervious to wet weather with it's Kevlar stock (also 284 Winchester).A trick I've used for years to keep water and debris out of the barrel, is to roll a small party balloon over the muzzle. When a shot is fired on game the balloon simply 'disappears.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A popular shooting magazine did extensive testing with the balloon on the end of the barrel and wound up with the conclusion that the balloon actually improved accuracy considerably. The difference would not be a big deal for hunting, but was an extreme difference for match shooting. To bad I can not remember the magazine!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll generally pull out a condom and slip over most of my rifles if it starts to drizzle.

Some of my rifles have ft. sights, some are magna-ported, in any case a condom will fit over all without tearing. Combined with a rubber band to hold, it�s not going anywhere unless I pull the trigger. A lot of us will carry a condom in the wallet, so it's always there when needed

But, if it starts to rain before I get out in the field, I would rather stick around camp, do the camp chores & catch up on needed rest.

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Texas & Lauren Your right 100%. We've shot our biggest bucks on rainy day's.Perfect still hunting weather.On rainy day's, instead of the oldtimers taking their Springfields and 70's they would grab the 94, Marlin or 99.Not get a 99 wet,you must be joking.Instead of being pansies under the blanket's,take your Savage out,you may be surprised what happens

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hunting season Starts in 2 days and last 6 months, 6 tags. Type in sitka by the sea, on the google and check out the second web site with live cam. We may not have a chicken in every pot but we have a skiff in evey driveway. We hunt in rain or shine. It's not the rain that gets your firearm, it's the salt spray that's a killer. Never used a balloon but have put scoth tape on for 30 years.

You, fat man, speak up. - Will Munny, Unforgiven.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It was a real soaker for last year's Pa. deer opener. As I sat there with my 358 Brush Gun, eyeballing my son's new Rem 700 SPS, it made me go HMMMM. Add in the nearby gunshop that had a Brush gun listed at $1800 and the wheels really were turning. When my wife said she would buy me a new rifle for my birthday, I said OK, stainless and synthetic, here we come.

I now own a Tikka T3 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 for crappy weather hunting but if I'm out with the 99 and a rain comes up, well, its just gonna get wet like it has for the last 30 years. Same as my Dad's done for over 50 years with his 99F. They dry.

Dale

This space for rent

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I'm sorry Lord, that ain't right

You, fat man, speak up. - Will Munny, Unforgiven.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it were me, I'd get that nice SRC back inside right quick eek

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is my T out on a wet day. It has been reblued, d&t, etc so I just see it as just a good deer gun and an interesting conversation piece with other hunters.
[img]http://[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/circuitrider46/101_0468.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/circuitrider46/101_0473.jpg[/img][/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My post is definitley a second to Dale's rainy Pa Deer Season last year cry but me and my boy were still out there crazy smile

A rainy day hunting is better than a dry day most anywhere else.

CR

PS
Hey guys say a prayer for my motherinlaw she is having a heart valve replaced right now in Pittsburgh Pa. I'm online at the hospital and they let me on the fire smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug
Prayer Sent For Your Motherinlaw.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
ditto to Dale and C-R........in 45 years of PA openers that was the worst I can remember but my EG was with me. I buy them primarily to hunt but have a couple closet queens also.
BTW, C-R - prayer outgoing, I hope all goes well.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Steve she is doing well we're just waiting for the bone cracker to wrap it up.

CR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope everything goes well,Padre!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rain, snow, sleet, hail or high winds, anytime you can beat the ears or nose on a deer you got an advantage. Whether with crossbow, muzzle loader or rifle (yes even a 99)I'm out there. Soft drizzle is a personal favorite to still hunt.

Just make sure to properly take care of your firearm thereafter. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always taken very good care of my rifles. I was never a collector in any means until I started my obsession with Savage 99's. Even now, when I do have a few pristine rifles saved away for the future, I still do not hesitate to take out the "good ones". Just be diligent with how you take care of them in the wet weather and everything will be just fine. (By the way, the white Russians have taken over)... grin grin grin

Mike...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rusty75

Savages are Like any-other Guns with Blue and Wood. We are Only Caretakers of them. Whether you Shoot,Hunt or Collect Them They are meant to be cared for and used. And After all Savages have Been in the Woods,Field,Snow,Rain,sun Shine, for well over 112 years and will continue to do the same for a long,long time.

I Use My guns no Matter How Good Or Bad it Is. That's why they Call it Hunting.
Mine Where In Snow Rain in 2006 and 2007 Snow-Wet Fog.
I also have an all Weather Savage in 1899/99 that will take about any-kind of weather. J.M.O.

2006 Snow-Wet.
[Linked Image]

2007 Snow-Fog
[Linked Image]

all Weather Savage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (1lessdog, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 18,123 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,166
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.