-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I likewise have and hunt with a Rem 581L. Had the barrel cut down to 21" and re-crowned. Get 5 shot 2/3" groups on most days at 50yds with the Rem Sub-Sonics. The low noise factor tends not to spook the squirrels too badly, if at all. Terminal performance is excellent.

Got some SGBs from VAnimrod and they were quite accurate in my CZ 452. Plan to try them out on squirrels and Prairie Dogs this Fall. The blunt bullet on the SGBs looks pretty impressive, and I guessing the PDs will be equally impressed.

Steve

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I sight dead on at 25 yds. That gives a point blank range of 50-60 yds. The Subsonics shoot well out of both my 10/22s also. I like the combination of the quiet and the effectiveness of a hollow point. I used to shoot match ammo until I found the Subsonics, but I occasionally lost a squirrel due to lack of shocking power.

Leon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leon, Thanks for the feedback. Also read CCI subsonics are also suppose to have good performance.

Sean, what are SGBs?

Leo

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Small Game Bullet. I didnt know either until this thread.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, BigDaddyK!

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Guys, take it from experiance.....while the subsonics are super accurate, and quiet, as far as performance on squirrels I found them to be miserable as far as killing power.
Trust me I've used them quite a bit and after having a 50/50 chance of recovering a shot squirrel I wont ever go back to them again.
Maybe it was the ones I was using (CCI subsonics) I dont know but I shoot for the eyes on squirrels, while I dont always hit the eye I always do hit the head and after having more than 1 squirrel fall out of the tree and thinking it was stone dead only to reach down and pick it up only for the stupid thing to run off with me in chase. mad
I even had a squirrel in my backpack for a few hours one day, when I pulled him out with the others to clean them 1 was still alive (I was shocked......he had a hole right in his cheek under his eye) anyway he took off running/falling until I gave chase and stomped him to death.
Like I was saying I am not impressed with the subs killing power so I went back to the trusty CCI stingers, they got the job done.
Now I went even further and got a .17hm2 now thats a squirrel cartridge if there ever was one.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Your experience mirrors mine with subsonic soft points, but with the Remington Subsonic hollow points I have had excellent results. They shoot accurately in my three rimfire rifles and are relatively cheap to boot. I buy them by the brick.

Leon

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Y'all must have some damned tough squirrels. LR subsonics are my "heavy artillery" as - generally use CB shorts. Can't recall the last time I lost one either.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe you are just a better shot than I am. grin I need a little margin for error.

Leon

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good idea on wading a stream when squirrel hunting. Sounds like it couldn't help but work.

Started on squirrels when I was 12 years old in 1955 with my first real gun, a Remington 511. Got a Weaver B4 scope for Christmas and I was set.

I always liked to hunt after a rain when the leaves were still on the trees. You could move quietly without much effort but you could hear the squirrels jumping from tree to tree a long way off. Once the leaves were down it was find a stand and wait a while.

The only sqirrel hunting I've done lately is in my back yard. My Lab watches the bird feeder through the screen door. When the squirrels come in to raid the feeder she starts whining. I get the Daisey Red Ryder, turn her loose and the race is on. I'm not trying to kill them. Don't think a BB gun could do it anyway, squirrels are tough but it's fun to hear them cuss and watch the dog try to climb a tree.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
O.k., here's the real test of who's a "real authentic quirrel hunter". Who here eats the heads. smile When growing up I can remember my parents cooking the whole thing, head and all. I remember eating the brains and toungue. My uncles tell me of times growning up when all my mom's siblings fought over who got the heads. Now a days that sounds a bit extreeme. I'm wondering if anybody out there still eats the heads. I would but my wife would absolutely throw a fit so it's not worth the battle, if you know what I mean.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My great granny liked squirrel brains. She could flat climb a tree.

P
pmd Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The best memories I have are from back in the 50's, with my dad, in the woods hunting squirrels. I started out with a single shot Marlin & .22 shorts. Back then we even had enough to sell the tails to Mepps.

On my 16th birthday we shot 16 squirrels which was the limit back then. That night we had squirrel for supper. What an exciting day & memory for me.

Just about every place I used to hunt has now been cleared & plowed under for intensive agriculture, or has a house & hobby farm on it.

When I do go I use a Winchester mod 623 with CCI .22 LR Standard Velocity. That combination does a good job on squirrels & rabbits.

I am going to buy a single shot Henry Cricket to star my grandsons on squirrel hunting. I can't wait until they are old enough.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by pillpeddler
O.k., here's the real test of who's a "real authentic quirrel hunter". Who here eats the heads. smile When growing up I can remember my parents cooking the whole thing, head and all. I remember eating the brains and toungue. My uncles tell me of times growning up when all my mom's siblings fought over who got the heads. Now a days that sounds a bit extreeme. I'm wondering if anybody out there still eats the heads. I would but my wife would absolutely throw a fit so it's not worth the battle, if you know what I mean.

Afraid of mad squirrel disease???

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not any more..., don't eat the heads these days. smile

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I used to eat the heads at a buddy's house. The cheek muscles are really good as is the tounge. I didn't like the brains. they tasted like squirrel paste. I haven't thought about it in many years. He could fry a mean squirrel. We had a lot of fun hunting them too. I sure wish he was still with us.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have ate them sience I was born ,maby thats what is wrong with me.what are the symptions.? bad spelling I bet grin

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been logging on your forum now for a couple of days, as I don't have much to do here in Iraq. I saw this topic and said, "That is something I know a little about". I have hunted squirrels as long as I can remember. My family has always carried a Savage M24 or a 22/410 Stevens. I have both, my favorite is the 22/410. I bought one at the big Tulsa gunshow in Nov. last year and took it home. The next day killed 5, 3 greys amd 2 fox. Turned the foxes into squirrel and dumplins. My little city slicker wife was picking through them and asked, "Wheres the white meat" HA. I did have an Uncle who liked squirrel brains and scrambled eggs for breakfast. I just used Remington standard velosity LR. The ones that are kind of greenish in color.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My back yard is 3/4 acre and heavily wooded. The squirrels are over running the place.
When their numbers get out of hand, I thin the herd. Most of the time its with a Remington 521t and CB longs.

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothin better than a pan full of tender young squirrel.

[Linked Image]

Don't forget the gravy.

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 160user, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,554
Posts18,531,525
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.