-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found the last Allen Day post on another forum dated 2-17-2008.

The post was well done and typical of Allen as he touted his like for the M70. Thats all there was to it. I read nothing there that would indicate a reason for not posting more.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Too bad Allen no longer posts here, but neither posts above reflect my experiences with him. I don't have, nor would I own an Echols rifle (or afford), and Allen does like is Partitions and A Frames, but he did shoot and experiment with a lot of other bullets & rifles. Opinions are based on experiences and he does indeed have a lot of that, so when he spoke I listened, and he never steered me wrong. He is a good friend but we didn't agree on everything. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last post from Allen was 5/1/08 here.

The man spoke from his experience, which was significant. I didn't agree with everything he wrote, but what he wrote was usually deserving of reflection before answering, because you new he wasn't pulling it out of his a$$. Right or wrong.

I hope he finds his way back so I can sometimes disagree with him some more. grin

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Too bad Allen no longer posts here

I'll agree with that. I enjoyed reading his posts and even posted pictures for him once when he didn't have a host to upload them too. Still, he was set in his ways and did come across as bit arrogant on his equipment choices.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jds44
Anybody else notice MuleDeer's very thinly veiled reference to Allen Day in his Rifles & Woodsmoke column entitled "Sentiment" in Rifle #239? I'll eat my hat if paragraphs 2-4 aren't Allen Day.

Oh yeah, I noticed it. "Thinly veiled" might be overstating the case.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sure would like to see it. Any chance of a scan or PM? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always enjoyed reading Allen's posts at the Fire.

I hope all is well with him and that he comes back soon...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Allen and I had our fair share of differences. We had a lot of off line debates, and never saw everything the same even though we both have a lot of experience in the same areas.

One interesting thing about Allen and I, we saw more the same then we differed on. During a heated debate on line a few years ago we made a few posts through PM's. After a few back and forth posts we found that we agreed on about 90% and what we did not agree on was about 10%. It's funny how people tend to blow off the majority they agree on and strongly debate the little trivial issues.

As it turned out we actually agreed upon much more then 90%. It was this format style, and the differences in small things that influenced our opinions. Allen was a great resource to use for me as a "balance check" If I saw, or experienced something and wanted another opinion that I could trust,..... Allen could provide that for me. And if he said it was so, that opinion came from his heart and his expereince, not a refrence book, reloading manual, some writer, or magazine article.

He spoke about what he knew from significant experience, not from a once or twice eventwith big game, or from someone else's opinion. We did not agree on eveything, but his input to me on many topics was very welcome.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AD has absolute confdience in what works for him. If Echols tuned Model 70 and A-frames put the game down for him everytime, then that's what he's going to tell you works. He's used it.

Someone asks "what caliber and bullet would you use for...", AD is going to tell you what works for him, with passion and authority.
We don't need to all agree. When we do, the threads are short, and thing get boring. We've run off the trolls, and now things have been a little slow. Jorge has had no imposters to ferret out for months now. If this doesn't change, he'll be in a 10 step program at some Arizona spa soon.

I enjoyed AD, and hope to see him back.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jds44
If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Gotta beef you here. I posted about hunting with a Cloward rifle and said that I would one day like to hunt with an Echols like AD has. AD posted back almost immediately with very kind words about my choice of riflemaker. He was truly a gentleman but he didn't suffer fools gladly. I regret that the peckerheads ran him off, and I really wish he'd come back.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I miss his posts too. He's a classy guy with loads of real world experience and the financial means to keep gaining more. I too hope he wanders back to the site and posts some more. I really enjoy his opinions about what works, and what doesn't. He has hunted more game, on more continents than I'll ever have the chance to. His opinions might anger some, but one has to realize that his opinions are based upon more experience than most of us will gather in a lifetime of hunting. I can handle that, and admire his ability to put himself in a position to gather those opinions.

I can also understand his absence though. These forums can take up a lot of valuable time if you let them. I myself do a lot more reading other folks postings, rather than posting myself. I like to read about what folks have to say about their hunting trips, and rifles and cartridges they like to use.

Allen if you read this, the Lord's blessing to you and yours.

Last edited by JBabcock; 08/21/08.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
It's also possible that Allen has no issues with anyone at the Campfire.

Given today's banking situation, dead real estate and plunging property values, he could easily be trying to salvage his portfolio of properties. Trying not to betray any confidences here, that could easily be the case and I surely hope that it is not.

Personally, I own no leveraged investment properties; all of our investments are in stocks and cash instruments. If the Dow and the NASDAQ crashed like real properies have, I would be pretty scarce at the Campfire, as well. Given that scenario, Allen would opine that maybe Ol' Steve got his foot caught in a bear trap. And he would be right.

A guy has to pay attention to what supports him. And maybe Allen is doing just that. Or maybe not ... heck, I don't know.

In the end, we all wish Allen the very best that life has to offer.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The only problem I had with Allen was we agreed about 95% of the time. That made me worry about his judgment. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I enjoyed reading Allen's posts and he actually responded to me a couple of times. Hardly anything lasts forever, but I hope things are going well for him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
We've run off the trolls, and now things have been a little slow. Jorge has had no imposters to ferret out for months now. If this doesn't change, he'll be in a 10 step program at some Arizona spa soon.

He's here from time to time, but I have a bead on him over on the other forum. he's started to post over there again, after he was banned (by the owner for a FIFTH time). The minute he starts with the bullshit, I'll cut his nuts off again. He's pissed me off for life and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. jorge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by hatari
We've run off the trolls, and now things have been a little slow. Jorge has had no imposters to ferret out for months now. If this doesn't change, he'll be in a 10 step program at some Arizona spa soon.

He's here (the Troll) from time to time, but I have a bead on him over on the other forum. he's started to post over there again, after he was banned (by the owner for a FIFTH time). The minute he starts with the bullshit, I'll cut his nuts off again. He's pissed me off for life and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. jorge

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I miss his posting also, although I do not agree with him 100%. He did make me realize that it is better to own less, but higher quality equipment.

I disagree with his $10,000 rifle or nothing mentality. That just is not reality based for most people. That makes him come off a little high brow, which really turns me off as I know plenty of wealthy people. They are just like any other group, good ones, bad ones. Money doesn't make them better, just wealthier.

As far the the Mule Deer article, I laughed out loud when I read it because I knew exactly who he was talking about.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What did the mule deer article say?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was no doubt as to who MD was talking about. I laughed as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope MD doesn't mind me posting this excerpt. Here's the paragraphs in question:

"One such rational hunter posts frequently on an Internet chat room. He claims to be so rational that he grows impatient with people who don�t follow his rationale completely. (It might be pointed out that impatience with other people�s opinions isn�t exactly rational, since we�re likely to run into this odd phenomenon more than once or twice in our lives. But that would be a cheap shot, so I won�t do it.)

It turns out his choice for the perfect hunting rifle is a model built by one particular custom gunsmith, with a custom-designed synthetic stock, top-notch barrel and controlled-round feed action (what else?) worked over into as close to perfection as possible. Even with a plastic stock, each of these rifles costs over $10,000 � and this purely practical rifleman has several.

The fact that they are all chambered for purely practical (meaning popular) cartridges really doesn�t mean this guy is purely practical. Anybody who spends that kind of money, over and over again, on rifles that don�t have beautiful walnut stocks is not thinking like a computer but more like a supermodel on a wig spree."

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 10 invisible), 1,798 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.