Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would like to see any mounts really but especially interested in pics and/or ideas for a mount in a "height challenged" house (8 1/2' ceilings). Someone on here use to have an avatar with an elk who's head was turned and he was bugling, thought that might be a good idea since I have lots of space just no high ceilings. Also would like to see some Euro-mount pics? Hopefully I'll get lucky in New Mexico this Oct and can spend some MORE $$ at the taxidermist!!

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think you would be referring to my elk.
[Linked Image]

R
R
I have a 380 net p/y bull turned buggeling, a 340 net p/y bull turned, and a sneek look bull 365 net p/y but I will have to get some pics on the computer of them.
Where and when you comming to Reserve to hunt?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This elk is mounted on a wall with 10� vaulted ceilings. The bottom of the chest is 5� from the floor. The lowest antler point is 6�2� from the floor. I have maybe 1� from the ceiling. This is not a very large bull. The mount is about 42� from chest to tallest point. The bull has a 37� spread and the mount is around 42� out from the wall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by slush; 08/01/08.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tom264
I think you would be referring to my elk.
[Linked Image]

Is that elk hanging above your bed in your bedroom? grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My sons bed, the other wall has another deer on it too. grin
I dont have much room in my house for all my mounts (living room has a few too) and since I have low ceilings we/she decided the elk should go in his room.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those are nice!!
Tom, that's the one I was thinking of, sounds like your son has the coolest room in the neighborhood!! Thanks for the dimensions Slush, that gives me a good starting point of course I have to get lucky in the woods first.

reserveNMelk, would love to see your mounts also, I drew a unit 36 muzzleloader tag

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome Slush, nice first post dude.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
R
My mounts are in the taxidermy shop here in Reserve, I dont have room in my house, got plans on a bigger home with high ceilings in the works.
I have a unit 15 mid oct. hunt, I also have a white super 91 muzzle loader that im trying to get a load worked up for, since its bore is .504 im planning on using the hornady sst 300 gr sabo along with the jim shocky gold powder? since the bore is a little larger im hoping it will work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There are many ways to work with restricted space. My trophy room is almost one level of the house but, in the basement. I use removable horns/antlers to make handling easier & combination of pedestal mounts & stand mounts. With the big elk racks posted I am almost ashamed to post mine taken many years ago.[Linked Image]The next mount shows the pedestal a bit better.[Linked Image]

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is another appr[Linked Image]oach using a stand.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's cool, I never even thought about a pedestal mount or removable antlers.

I'm having a hard time trying to work up a suitable load for my smokepole. I've been shooting the Jim Shocky Gold and Powerbelts. I was refered over to the Modern Muzzleloader site and there are some guys there who are very serious about their muzzleloaders, almost none of them have anything good to say about the Shocky Gold or the Powerbelts. It's just like a rifle, gotta learn what your gun likes, I'm going back out this weekend with some 777, some BH209, some of the Barnes expanders and some of the Hornady FPB's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even in a house with high ceilings, by the time you lower it enough for the antlers on a traditional mount it ends up at an uncomfortable height. Sort of in the way, and not getting the space it deserves.

A staircase worked good for me.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Those are some nice mounts and don't take me wrong but I hunt for meat,not antlers and have sold every rack I have got plus the Ivory teeth except for the easiest Elk I ever got,I had to save it...

Antlers draw a good price around here as does the ivory teeth and really helps pay for the hunt.They don't taste that good anyway..I just moved and there is little left in the old place except the antlers and a few odds and ends..

To each his own but I hunt only for meat for the winter and thats getting spendy these days.

Nice trophies.

Jayco

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I keep mine in the freezer.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tbear
[Linked Image]oach using a stand.

I just cant believe ya got a stuffed digger squirrel grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is my one and only elk-
[Linked Image]
and a Caribou pedestal mount-
[Linked Image]
JD338

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, hard to believe a taxidermist would use a shoulder form, adapt to a pedestal and then not level the head. Nice animals btw.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's one my taxidermist did... I especially like the realistic treatment of the eyes (grin):

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If that's the new house I recognize that room, sort of....grin

'Euros' rule!
Here's a homemade one that needs the whitening treatment.

I need to read the thread title's as this ain't quite an elk.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/03/08. Reason: not an elk
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.