-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Greetings from sunny (and HOT!) Savannah Georgia. My wife and I will be visiting Alaska and will have 2 -3 days free in Anchorage from 18 to 20 Aug. What would be recommended as "can't miss" in the area? Open to most ideas, including a hunting/fishing store if it's on the way of course.
Thanks for ayour thoughts!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would recommend a glacier tour out of Whittier or Valdez if you have time, there are a number of good comfortable boats to choose from.

As far as Anchorage itself,.... well, it doesn't do much for me to put it mildly. But it is true that when you are in Anchorage you are only about 2 hours away from Alaska!

A drive up to the Park would be nice; might get to see the mountain and timing might be right about then for best fall colors on the tundra.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey 50cal, I'm over here in Lawrenceville (Gwinnett Co.) I pass through Anchorage occassionally on my way to a hunt. I like to stay at the Millenium Hotel. They have a bar/resturant frequented by traveling hunters, and some really cool mounts. I will say, though that time constraints have prevented me from getting anywhere else.
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rent a car, make your way to Valdez and enjoy a beautiful drive. You can do a little salmon fishing while you're there. I took my two boys (then 9 and 11) in early August last year and that was one of the excursions we did. We had a boat but didn't need it as we just fished from the bank near the hatchery. We caught so many we were picky on which ones we kept (all pink salmon, no silvers frown ). There is a marina there and you could probably charter a boat if that is what you desire. IIRC there were not too many hotels so make a reservation if interested. If you're military, Eielson AFB (in Fairbanks) maintains a half dozen or so campers at a campground in Valdez and we stayed in one of them. It is right on the water.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 08/02/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
50cal:
Why go north to visit a city? Don't you guys have 'em down there? Why go 3000 miles just to see a city? If you're gonna be visiting in mid Aug., then I'd do what was suggested above and rent a car & take a drive to Valdez. The silver run should be in full swing then and you could take either a charter or even rent a boat. As I recall, you can get a 3 day non-resident fishing license instead of buying one for the season. Then there's Stan Steven's tours out to Columbia Glacier & Prince William Sound. I'd stay at the Best Western & eat dinner at the restaurant there or at the Pipeline Club. I'd also avoid Mike's Palace at the boat harbor like the plague.
That's just me tho. Have an enjoyable trip regardless of what you decide. Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd drive down to Seward and book a charter with Ninilchik Charters (or anyone going out to the Kenai Fjords or out to Cape Junken), but that's just me. I think the drive to Seward is better, compared to the drive to Valdez, in time and fuel costs versus scenery.... Fishing is better on the outer Kenai Coast versus the PWS, imho....

You get the glacier tour of sight-seeing trip out of Whittier or Valdez, combined with great fishing. A 2-fer...

Also, a trip to Girdwood, with a late dinner at the Seven Glaciers is a cherry on on the sundae, type of experience.

Last edited by DPhillips; 08/02/08.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is another trip (to Ninilchik)that we did too. We fished for halibut with Afishunt charters and we'd go with them again. We got lucky and had a very calm day on the water. Either trip is good. You cannot go wrong.

Here is some motivational pics for you. Top one is my youngest with his first halibut and the deckhand. Bottom is both of the guys with a couple of salmon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice pics himmelrr, you gotta be lovin' life

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (264mag, 2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 325wsm1, 25 invisible), 16,986 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,356
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.