Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goodnews

Have a Lyman 1200 DPS II. It's ok but takes a half hour warm-up time and emptying the powder resevoir was ill-conceived IMHO but I'm not a high volume reloader so it's ok and I've had none other to compare it to so take this FWIW. It certainly beats the old RCBS balance scale I used to use.

The first thing to go in old middle-age is the memory; the upside is you don't always know it sick grin. I did have a PACT before the Lyman 1200 (the Lymn is definitely better) and it was NBT (nothing but trouble); went back to its maker once and was no better on its return. Again, FWIW.

Last edited by goodnews; 07/28/08.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I would heartily concur on the Chargemaster 1500. Excellent unit...
[Linked Image]
As a matter of fact the picture used in the above link is my picture of my RCBS Chargemaster, RCBS 10-10, and Pact Scale on my reloading bench. As well as a few comments. I should note that it was not intended, nor permission asked, for publication...

That said from a duffers stand point it works quite well...

Regards, Matt Garrett.
757-581-6270

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't go without my Chargemaster. With it I get dead nuts accurate weight and can completely prep the brass, prime, throw the powder, and seat the bullet in around 30 seconds.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
offtoptic,
As an aside I LOVE my RCBS TRIM MATE... The ONLY thing I think could be improved is the following...

1. Take a Dewey Crocogator, cut it in half, and thread both ends to fit the Trim-Mate stations. The RCBS wire primer pocket cleaners have a very short service life. Try to wear out a crocogator...

2. Take a Wilson Outside Case Mouth Deburring Tool and cut it half, drill a pilot hole, and thread for a thread extension. The outside tool is excellent. The inside deburring tool can be found from Lyman as the VLD deburring tool with the handle. Unscrew the handle and screw the business end directly into the Trim Mate...

Should anyone take the time and effort to make the previous products available THEY WILL SELL... I talked to Mr. Dewey, however, he worried about someone beating him to the punch..

fwiw & imho...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw,
I would heartily concur on the Chargemaster 1500. Excellent unit...
[Linked Image]
As a matter of fact the picture used in the above link is my picture of my RCBS Chargemaster, RCBS 10-10, and Pact Scale on my reloading bench. As well as a few comments. I should note that it was not intended, nor permission asked, for publication...

That said from a duffers stand point it works quite well...

Regards, Matt Garrett.
757-581-6270

Matt if I`d known I would not have placed that link. I`ll abstain from drawing attention to it from this point forward.
Sorry.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe,
Not a problem in the least. I was referring to 6mmbr.com not asking for permission not your link. I just found it irritating that they took a post I made on one of the forums, copied it, and tried to pass it off as what appeared to be an actual "test". That said they were kind enough to include my pictures with my text...(grin).

I stand by the observations, however, I never intended it to be anything other than an observation. Their pitch had David Tubb and Brand Cole, the guy who made the Prometheus(dunno if he still does), refuting the "testing" procedure. Found myself in an arguement that I did not intend... So it goes.

Regards, Matt.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a DPS III. I haven't noticed any tendency to drift. Full warm-up is 30 minutes, but you can bail out of the warm-up cycle and start loading if you choose. I haven't investigated that option yet. I would enjoy doing a side-by-side comparison with the Chargemaster. A buddy has an original generation RCBS unit, and it convinced me to wait. Another friend has a DPS II, and I'm glad I waited for a III. Lyman does have a model II to model III conversion available, by the way.

"It is, I think, going to be a very harsh and unpleasant kind of business...and will, I think, require an extremely harsh and unpleasant kind of man to see to it." [Martha McCandles (Maureen O'Hara) speaking of Jacob McCandles (John Wayne) in "Big Jake"]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had my RCBS 1500 for about 6 months now and I wish I'd sprung for one years ago when I saw my first one on display.

Like Matt say's the Trim Mate is another piece of RCBS gear I'll never work without.
One word of caution with the Trim Mate...Dont mount the flash hole reamer beside your case neck brushes.
I managed to spear my finger pretty deeply while scrubbing out a case neck. blush cry

I like it here. They let me swear.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mainframe
Lyman does have a model II to model III conversion available, by the way.

Thanks for your post regarding the DPS III Mainframe. There is an upgrade kit by Lyman , however, I don't know if it makes a DPS II equivalent to a DPS III ... I.E., not sure if it changes any thing other than just the powder metering.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
General note.

I weighed a charge thrown by a Dillon powder measure on a Lyman balance beam scale. Then weighed it on the DPSII. Same numbers.

I then weighed the first 100 or so charges thrown by the DPSII on the balance scale. Consistantly the same. I still spot check charges from the DPSII on a balance scale. Never a variation.

I'm confident DPSII's and Dillon powder measures are accurate and consistant.

O

Too old to suffer fools
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I had a Lyman DPS 11. After about a year of use in which it was very accurate, it lulled me into complacency, and then it began to drift. Almost blew up a rifle with an overload. The Lyman went away. What point is there in having electronics if it cannot be trusted?

J
JAL Offline
J
Sure but they all come with a check wt for a reason. When I used a RCBS Pardner I plonked the check wt. on regularly.
So it checked its self while I tipped the powder in the case.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
JBL..,

I always check the first few charges against a scale. But scales can go wrong too. Got a bad felling about my scale when the check weights didn't match the setting. Cleaned the dern scale up - back to normal. Who'd think a little dust on the beam would make a difference? It did.

O

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got a new RCBS CHARGEMASTER COMBO this spring...cant live without now

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
same with my RCBS TRIM MATE...

Ted
1234 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
my new chargemaster arrived monday. have loaded 50 rounds of 25/06 and 50 rounds of 221 f.b. i am impressed you need your stuff laid out properly in order to keep up with it.well i need to see what other empty brass i can find lying around.
thanks for your imput Ed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (257Bob, 160user, 21, 260madman, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 49 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,345
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.