-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those of you that wasn't aware, like ME, Remington has a Safety Modification Program for all Model 721 and 722 rifles.

Full info here:

http://www.remington.com/safety/safety_center/safety_modification_program/models_721_&_722.asp

Collectors?? HOW is this going to effect the VALUE of an old mint model 721 or 722?

Hope this is useful info to anyone here that have one or more of these fine old Rems!

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why would I pay $20 to have my rifle modified? My 721 and 722 will be staying here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for your opinion. Supposedly a "safety" issue? I was unaware that they had any issues being unsafe.

No offense meant.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All that recall was for was to remove the bolt lock feature so you could open the bolt with the safety on.

Not saying it never happened, but I sure don't recall any lawsuits or complaints about AD's with 721-722's.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Steve692 - none taken...at all.

Just odd how long has passed since production ceased on 721's and 722's and now they need to be modified for a safety issue? It is very nice of Rem to step up to the plate on this.

My 721 is a full boogy varmint rifle - Hart heavy/taper barrel and a light trigger. They would take my trigger off of this rifle...bet on it. smile

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would rather have the bolt lock feature. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickB
All that recall was for was to remove the bolt lock feature so you could open the bolt with the safety on.

I pretty much understood that to be the case but the first question that popped up in my mind was "WHY THESE MODELS?"

Every single earlier 700 is exactly the same way and the saftey must first be OFF to open the bolt.

Thanks for all the feedback. Just offered it as info for those that may be interested, even if it confused me as to why they limited it to 721 and 722 rifles.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They also offered the same thing for early 700's.

My only point was that this wasn't a "safety recall" per se...it was an offer to remove a feature if the owner didn't want it. The 700 receivers to this day still have the slot for the bolt locking lever if a guy wanted to put one on.

Personally, I have never seen or heard of a Remington accidently firing a round when either opening or closing the bolt with either type of safety.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by acloco
Why would I pay $20 to have my rifle modified? My 721 and 722 will be staying here.

YEP.....

Unload out of camp with the muzzle pointed down at the ground, fingers nowhere near the trigger as the bolt is cycled.

Safety still locks bolt down while hunting with game in immediate vicinity.

Hunt with mag filled and empty chamber/striker down till game is spotted.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
+1

I won't be participating in their trigger/safety campaign for my 722's.
They want to change the entire race car fleet because one of the driver's is a midget....(midget mentality)

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't presently have either a 721 or 722 rifle so do not remember what the safety design looks like.
On an early model 700 I once owned it had the safety that required you to put the gun into fire mode in order to open the bolt. I didn't like this design and modified the safety with a little judicious filing to operate like the newer models.
I'm no gunsmith but had no problem figuring out what had to be done and it took very little time to make the change.
Over time I know there have been two very vociferous camps concerning which type of safety is considered best. In my case I preferred the safety that allowed the chamber to be cleared while in the safe mode. I never had a bolt come open when carrying one of these 700's in the woods. Others may have had other experiences.
Jim

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The problem is that occasionally someone would push the safety to the fire position and the rifle would AD. No finger on the trigger but the rifle fires. Decide for yourself if you want to find out the hard way if yours will do it.

Acloco; no question, they would be taking the after market trigger off (and probably bill you for the "service"). Not hard to understand their thinking if you think about ("Your Honor, when that rifle was last in our possession we made sure that the trigger meet our standards. It has been altered since that time and there for we are not liable for any injuries caused by the trigger currently on it.").

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by chris112
The problem is that occasionally someone would push the safety to the fire position and the rifle would AD. No finger on the trigger but the rifle fires.

ALL remington triggers are guilty of this problem, including the new and "improved" X-Mark. (contrary to what some people say, I had it happen.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my experience if a gun does this the trigger pull weight has been set up far too light and the responsible party is the one who set the trigger up this way.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not on my last gun, it was set at 4 pounds.

The one before was set at 3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"IF" the pull weight is over 3lbs AND the trigger is clean and you get a AD without touching the trigger on a 700 you have insufficient sear engagement. Simple.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.