Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter
Hell its fun., 0ld school. If you can hit 100 @ 1" you can hit 1000 @ 10".

WRONG!!!

It's this exact attitude that will get you in trouble... especially on game.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
plus 1000

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah I had a few to many beers when I wrote that! Disregard that post.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tightloop
It isn't everyone's cup of tea...IMO, game animals deserve lots more than being shot at from long distance, but to each his own...

Do you really think game animals give a crap what distance they are getting killed from.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pat85...probably not.

IMHO, the internet allows some to enhance their personal abilities past the range of reality, so you might allow me some skepticism till I see it personally. IE: once had a fella tell me he could hit a paper plate at 1000yds with an iron sighted .223 5 of 10 shots...but he couldn't/wouldn't set a time or place to let me see him do it...Tell me you wouldn't have taken that bet.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It isn't everyone's cup of tea...IMO, game animals deserve lots more than being shot at from long distance, but to each his own...

So do they deserve lot's more than to be shot at through brush at 50 yards where the odds of proper bullet placement is even smaller?Do they deserve lot's more than to be shot while cornered after being chased by hounds?In my opinion.they deserve a quick clean end regardless of what distance the shot is taken from.I shoot with several people that are far more capable at 500 yards than the average hunter is at 200 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And do they deserve to not be shot over a bait station, or while being driven via drives, and or.......

I'm with Stubble, this could go on and on.

Those that condem shooting of game at long range really crack me up.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

Those that condem shooting of game at long range really crack me up.

Maybe they're demoncrats. You know demoncrats are mentally ill and can't think reasonably. They arrogantly think everyone is at their level.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tightloop
Pat85...probably not.

IMHO, the internet allows some to enhance their personal abilities past the range of reality, so you might allow me some skepticism till I see it personally. IE: once had a fella tell me he could hit a paper plate at 1000yds with an iron sighted .223 5 of 10 shots...but he couldn't/wouldn't set a time or place to let me see him do it...Tell me you wouldn't have taken that bet.
If he was a marine, shooting competition at camp perry, then no, I wouldn't take that bet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The best long range shooters, the most proficient and well-practiced, are the one's most likely to stay off the trigger if conditions are not right;just like the guy who instantly passes up a moving shot,or takes it because he KNOWS he can hit;or passes on any shot.
If he KNOWS he can hit he usually does.The guy who guesses,or depnds on his technology without verification,is doomed to failure.
Like anything else, the guys that know what they're doing,just know what they're doing...

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/14/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I shot a lot at camp perry, and not being conceited, was a fair enough shot at that time. Also wiht the AR15 service rifles that all the military teams shot.

Hitting a paper plate 50% of shots at 1000 would still be shooting pretty well but in decent conditions, but certainly could be done, after I gave a lot of my load data was given to the army team, they set a record perfect score at 1000 with the AR and irons. So it is possible.

I dang sure wouldn't be against him, but I would also say that with irons it could be about a 50/50 bet maybe. Realistically. A 20 inch paper plate vs an 8 or 10 though, you'd be an ignorant sob to bet against him.

I also called a man at all his bragging at 600 once.... Shooting totally the wrong bullet to do it with. We both learned, I was going to beat him with irons and a sling and him with sandbags and a scope. He learned that I was right about bullets, I learned not to be quite so cocky as to use test ammo in that feat that I had not shot at full distance yet..... we ended up about a dead heat IIRC.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As to the original question "Why?", maybe its because you have to use a totally different skill set to consistently make good shots on game at long ranges. Let's face it, a rifle's killing range is mostly limited by the shooter, not the rifle or ammo.

Still its not for everybody (and that's a good thing IMO).

Good hunting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.