-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the Winnie recoils more than the Wizzum - that might make a difference if you are going lightweight on the rifle...Of course I'm partial to the Montana in a 300 WSM.

DJ

HR IC

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
If you need to ask then buy a 30-06.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
If you need to ask then buy a 30-06.

Already have one! Well my wife has one that she loves to shoot. Don't think she'll let me play with it! grin

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
264 Win Mag!!! YEAH!
Aloha, Mark

When fear of death is no longer a major concern--- the rules of war change!! Dramatically.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's the old saying go?... I'd rather say nothing at all. sleep

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Of the two you mention I would chose the 300 WM without question. It's been around for ever and can easily outperform the WSM. If I need a 300 magnum, I want ever ounce of performance. The only reason to go with the WSM is if want a short action. Lou

NRA Benefactor member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
Of the two you mention I would chose the 300 WM without question. It's been around for ever and can easily outperform the WSM. If I need a 300 magnum, I want ever ounce of performance. The only reason to go with the WSM is if want a short action. Lou

I agree with Dr Lou.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
300 roy seems to not be on the short list!

Well then, you need to amend your short list to a not as short short list. :-)

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
.300 Win Mag. Performance-wise they are close, but you can find the win mag ammo anywhere. That is always one of the things I consider when getting a hunting rifle. If I am out of town hunting, can I find the ammo there? For less than a new Buick? Go with the common, proven one unless you need the short action.

-Mb

Him that came down from the trees
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
This has nothing to do with the rifle guys! Only the caliber. I can find the rifle I like in both calibers!

Well Id guess that one is a short action and the other is a STD/Magnum action depending on the model of rifle your looking at. There maybe also differences in barrel length and countour. I

In some rifles there is a significant difference between the 300wsm and 300wm, examples of rifles like these might be the ruger 77 and Kimber Montana. In other models there might be very little difference.

The practical differences between the two cartridges are very slight, but if there is no practical advantage to the rifle in which the 300wsm is chambered I would choose the 300wm because its more common and has just a little more umph.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you don't handload, the older 300 wm has a larger choice of available ammo, some brands like Hornady don't even load for the WSM.

But I like the WSM because I like short action rifles.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It has been my experience that the WSM has a little more oomph in factory loads than the WM. I recently went through the same exact question. I ended up with a Sako A7 in .300 WSM and couldnt be happier. First run at the range and it was less than 1" MOA. It has a little less recoil and a little more velocity than the standard WM. I am not the type of guy who will ever need to buy ammo out of town, therefore that is not something that matters to me. If you are a reloader there may be some differences, but I cannot help you on that front. Good luck, you will like either. But the big difference to me was a little less recoil in a light rifle.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smoother feeding and one more in the mag, I'd choose a........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've loaded for 3-4 300 WSM's and several 300 Win mags(I forget how many of each).The 300 WSM is an easy cartridge to get to shoot,very much like a 300 H&H,and in some instances the loads and velocities are almost identical.The 300 Win Mag takes slightly heavier powder charges,and depending on the rifle,produces a bit more velocity,but this can vary a good deal, rifle to rifle.I see no accuracy advantage or magic associated with short powder columns etc, as has been proclaimed for the WSM's.In hunting rifles assembled correctly, there will be no difference in accuracy between the 300 Win amd the 300 WSM.

I'd take the 300 Win mag simply because I'm ambivalent when it comes to short actions, and prefer M70's,which have been feeding belted cases since 1937,so you can pretty much count on the rifle behaving. My experiences with WSM's on M70's have not been happy one's.

The action that has handled the WSM cases better than any other I have experience with is the Kimber, which I think was designed from the ground up to handle them, unlike the M70.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob , I think Winchester had figured out WSM feeding in the M-70 before they went tits up.....at any rate we have a couple of the later M-70s in WSMs in the family and they both feed very well .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
300 Win Mag because it is easier to exceed factory specs, and it is older and proven many times over.

Sounds quite logical to me, although I don't shoot any mangle-ums!

But consider where you'd buy ammo on a hunting trip if you forgot your supply at home or needed more ..... The fact the .300WM is still the more popular of the two is very significant to me, unless I just couldn't live without the WSM (whatever silly reason that would be).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
sd: Yes the ones I had FED ok; the problem was they would "porpoise" on me,ie the magazines seemed too narrow for the chubby cartridge,and in rapid fire,as I ejected an empty,the next round would fly out of the magazine before I worked the bolt forward to pick up the next round,placing a cartridge in the magazine opening before you wanted it there.Naturally as you work the bolt forward,the bolt face picks up another cartridge. Result: JAM.

I work a bolt pretty hard and fast from the shoulder and this might have contributed to the problem.I have seen some folks work a bolt action like they're handling Chippendale China,and I tend to be a bit rough on them.

I never discovered a cure for the double feeding problem as I got rid of the rifle(s) rather quickly....could be that it was fixed later.Others I know had the same problem; but many others did not.I was not willing to experiment further.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/12/08.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only WSMs I own are a couple of Kimbers and they feed reliably, if not smoothly.

In my limited experience with 300WMs(Winchester, Ruger, Steyr) they feed very well indeed and I would take a 300WM over a 300WSM for that reason alone.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 340boy
The only WSMs I own are a couple of Kimbers and they feed reliably, if not smoothly.

In my limited experience with 300WMs(Winchester, Ruger, Steyr) they feed very well indeed and I would take a 300WM over a 300WSM for that reason alone.

My one first hand experience with a 300wsm is a Ruger and it feeds as well as my 338wm ruger does. The 300wsm holds one less in the magazine but if I can't get it done with three shots of 300 mag..I not very confidant that the 4th shot would help.

When I bought the 300wsm I was worried about feeding there was so much internet talk about WSM feeding poorly. I wonder if it was just the first winchester WSM's that gave the WSMs a bad reputation that has stuck to everything since.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob , we've not seen the jumping cartridge problems with our guns , though I admit 2 rifles is not a big sample....I like to run the bolt hard and fast myself .

I think the "short" M-70 was well matched to the WSM line , not really a short action but more an intermediate length .

But if a guy wants more speed , the handloaded 300 Win certainly has it over the WSM .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 29 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.