Print Thread
Hop To
T
tuff Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So I am going to get my dad a tent for his birthday.

These are the tents I am looking at. Any experience with any of these? I also remember that there is a guy on here that sells Hilleberg and wanted either his website or phone number. Might as well keep the money in the hunting community.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/HL1015

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/HL1012

If you guys have other suggestions I am open to them also.

Thanks Branden

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You wont go wrong with a Hilleberg.
Vigilguy is the name of the member on here.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get the GT version; the vestibules are huge and really nice for storing gear/packs out of the rain. I have the Nammatj 3 GT, which is the same as the Nallo, but it has slightly heavier fabric. It's easily enough for two people plus a foot and a half of space between them for gear/guns. I love mine, but it's limitation is it's not free-standing if you intend to pitch it on really hard ground or rock.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UKdave
You wont go wrong with a Hilleberg.
Vigilguy is the name of the member on here.

Vigilguy is a good man to do business with.
I bought a Hilleberg Akto from him a while back and I am happy.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I absolutely agree to go with the GT, the extra room is a god sent, I just got back last night from a sheep hunt in which we had the Nallo 3 GT pitched on a mountain pass and rain, wind, sleet, none of it phased the Nallo and the extra room for our gear was awesome. The ability to vent it was incredible.It pitches with super speed and ease whether its blowing or not.Its a little noisey inside when the wind is howling but structurally...its the bomb! Absolutely my favorite tent ever and at 6 lb 3 oz it blows away what the Allak offers and at 3 oz lighter weight. Heres a few pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Rumour is that he is a good guy to do business with.
+1 on the Akto!

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have the Kaitum 3 and it also is the bomb. Easy to set up and sturdy as all heck. Worth every penny.

Once you go "Hille" you never go back grin

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You might like to lokk at the Terra Nova Quasaur (spelling) these are also Very highly thought of.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm livin' and learnin' guys, but so far, for me it's Integral Designs MK series......I just love the single walls simplicity, and so far, no probs with condensation. The door on the MK1 lite is not big enough, but otherwise.
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have looked at almost every tent made in the recent years and decided that the best thing going was Hilleberg. After using it in the mountains this last week I am absolutely convinced that they offer so much more than most tents that its simply uncomparable. We pitched the Nallo 3 GT in less than 3 minutes from start to finish amidts getting caught in a narly squall and every single piece of gear we had and us was instantly protected. ID tents are nice, but the big vestibules in the Hillebergs are the BOMB!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I definitely was admiring your Nallo 3 GT. I think if I was out with another guy, I wouldn't want to be ID close to someone else (except the wife). I am set up with a Kifaru 6 man for that, but may have to rethink the Nallo. I like the red, too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doc

If I could find a tent that weighed as little as this Nallo 3 GT does and has the amount of usable space in it that the Nallo 3 GT does and can withstand the weather that the Nallo does I'd buy it right now! I can understand you liking the ID's especially for one person, but man when the chit weather rolls in and your on top of a mountain or riding out 2 days of bad weather trapped in a tent a couple guys need some room I have been trapped in a smallish 2 man tent for 2 days with a pard and theres absolutely nothing worse. Plus waking up to a 20 degree morning with a heavy frost on everything you've got, it so nice to have all your gear be nice and dry and cozy right there in the vestibule with you and your not sacrificing any weight per say with the Hilleberg to get that. Packs and gear covered with flys and covered in frost sucks!.grin

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Fyi folks, starting in January 2009, there will be a price increase on the Hilleberg tents, like everything else. So if you are considering one and the timing is right for you, I would not procrastinate if I were you.

--Charlie

PS-Thanks for all of the kind remarks!

Last edited by Vigilguy; 08/14/08.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Branden-

Another thought on the Nallo tent is that the regular Nallo is a favorite amongst a lot of people due to it's low weight. If your father needs more room inside, he can also partially detach the inner tent and thus expand the vestibule. The amount of "real estate" that the Nallo takes up is shorter than the Nallo GT too. Having said that, I really do like the GT version for the reasons stated by others.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
While I am on here today, I might as well let the cat out of the bag and let you all know that a new eVENT freestanding shelter is due out this fall from Integral Designs! It looks like a low MK1XL with a sloping back, but it is eVENT!!!! Weight of it will be 3+ lbs. It is a two person shelter. You will not be able to sit up in it, but it is long enough for 6 footers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does that tent compare to the Rab eVent tent? I can get comfortable in mine, but no vestibule and low door cramp me a little. I really have to time it just right to camp in Georgia weather that even slightly tests this equipment, but here's the Rab out this last winter:

[Linked Image]

I was snug as a bug inside, with no condensation/frost:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by docdb; 08/14/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, I am a six footer and I can sit up in the Rab tent. Some places on the internet, the interior height is incorrectly reported.
Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Mrs. graced me with a rare accompaniment (first ever) this March. We stayed in a MKIII and the low temp was 25F, with no condensation.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
The new I.D. tent is longer than your Rab. Incidently, Rab is coming out with longer ones this fall. The new I.D. shelter has a huge front door and a back vent up near the top. Kute and I discussed it and he thought that it would make a good one or two night shelter...short term. I really like the weight, just over three lbs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always something new to dang in front of the consumer. I'll be watching the eVent tents closely. Short term is usually the only way I get to go. My longest trips, the outfitter has the tents covered. I really like the vent on the Rab, down lower, with no mesh, for jettisoning at arms length the contents of the gatorade pee bottle that I seem to fill a couple of time per night.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 55 invisible), 12,045 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,644
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.