Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Saw a tricked out 1022 at a gunshow today -- hammer forged bull barrel, synthetic adjustable target type stock -- modofoed trigger group. Looked pretty buff. A little pricy at nearly 700 bucks, but with 300 bucks for the barrel, 175 for the stock and 50 or better for the trigger, what are your thoughts. I already have a 1022 that shoots pretty good, but by the time you add the parts, you're almost at the price of the new rifle.

Thoughts??

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have heavily modified two 10/22's. I prefer my old Winchester 22 rifles, however, the 10/22's are a bunch of fun to personalize...!

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even thought I'm banned from posting there, I hang around RimFireCentral a lot and it's amazing what some people have done to their 10/22s. Who would think a gun that only costs around 200 bucks brand new can eventually become worth thousands with the addition of all the extra parts.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Okay. Old Winchesters. Ever heard of a Winchester Model 69? Have an opportunity to pick up one of those at a reasonable price. How do they work? No scopes, and just standard open sights.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stillwater
I have heavily modified two 10/22's. I prefer my old Winchester 22 rifles, however, the 10/22's are a bunch of fun to personalize...!

Bill

Great minds think a like Bill, I could not have said it better.....

Im down to "only" 2 custom 10/22's custom stocks, Kidd trigger, GM barrel, 8.5x25x50 Mueller scope, ext, ext.....

But Im really hot on the vintage 22 thing right now, no where near as accurate but WAY more fun right now.

As to the question, that sounds like a good buy, who's barrel? Is there any bolt work? CPC does a nice job. I have sold several custom 10/22's and I loose my azz every time, so it could be a great deal as I just dont see much of a market for ccustom 10/22's since there so easy and fun to build your self...

Last edited by passport; 08/17/08.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Okay. Old Winchesters. Ever heard of a Winchester Model 69? Have an opportunity to pick up one of those at a reasonable price. How do they work? No scopes, and just standard open sights.

I have a mint Winchester model 69A, and it's a great shooter. I looked for good one, for quiet long time. For a relatively inexpensive bolt action 22, when they were originally sold by Winchester, they were better than anything else in their class.

Spare magazines are an issue... However, I think the magazines produced for the new Winchester 52's manufactured by Miroku, will fit the Winchester Model 69A.

Bill

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Age of Consent (formerly Maser)
Even thought I'm banned from posting there, I hang around RimFireCentral a lot and it's amazing what some people have done to their 10/22s. Who would think a gun that only costs around 200 bucks brand new can eventually become worth thousands with the addition of all the extra parts.

If you have been banned, how come you were allowed to make this post...? If you were banned, why are you trying to post here...?

RFC is a good place for information on any 22 rifle, especially the 10/22.

Bill

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by passport

Bill

Great minds think a like Bill, I could not have said it better.....

Im down to "only" 2 custom 10/22's custom stocks, Kidd trigger, GM barrel, 8.5x25x50 Mueller scope, ext, ext.....

But Im really hot on the vintage 22 thing right now, no where near as accurate but WAY more fun right now.

As to the question, that sounds like a good buy, who's barrel? Is there any bolt work? CPC does a nice job. I have sold several custom 10/22's and I loose my azz every time, so it could be a great deal as I just dont see much of a market for custom 10/22's since there so easy and fun to build your self...

I like the Kidd triggers for my two modified 10/22's. They're pricey, but, you know you have the best, when you pull the trigger.

My 10/22's have been through CPC and also have Lothar Walther barrels on them.

One place where a 10/22 gets expensive for me, is my insistance on using Leupold scopes, on everything that I have. A good scope to use on a hunting and plinking with a 10/22, is the Leupold M8 6X42AO scope.

Bill

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Not "tricked out" but "personalized".
My Ruger 10/22 or as I like to call it "10/17". (17HM2)
It has a Majestic Arms aluminum barrel and bolt kit for the .17 with a Volquartzen cantilever mount I drilled and tapped for myself and mounted a Leupold Vari X3 1.75x6 on it with Leupold QD mounts, and a B&C thumbhole stock.
I did the trigger work myself.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You have a very good looking 10/22.

I have never heard of that make of barrel before. Can you tell me something about it, such as cost and where you obtained it?

I can really appreciate the use of the B&C 10/22 stock, because that stock and the 10/22 work great when paired together.

Nice rifle, I hope you're pround of what you have accomplished.

Bill

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks Bill,
The barrel manufacturer is also known as Alumi-lite.
Heres where I got it.... Shooters discount.
You can get either a .17HM2 or .22lr in different colors too, if you get the .17HM2 make sure you get the bolt kit (heavy cocking handle) that is required or you could damage the reciever.
The gun has gone through several different stages before I ended here, the only thing I will probably change will be the scope to a higher power.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you have been banned, how come you were allowed to make this post...? If you were banned, why are you trying to post here...?

Bill

I meant I was banned from posting at RFC.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Bill

I meant I was banned from posting at RFC.

You can get banned from RFC really easy. I have seen it happen to a lot of guys.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is mine..........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I like. At the risk of sounding a little crass -- wink -- What ya got into it?

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I like. At the risk of sounding a little crass -- wink -- What ya got into it?

Not real sure, lets see.........

Donor 169
Dirty bore bolt work 99
GM barell 125
Kidd trigger 325
stock, used with custom paint 99 smile
Mueller 8.5x25x50 220
Superior Tactical base and QD rings 70
Bolt handle 55
bolt buffer 5

So what ever that adds up to is about whatI have into it, but I think Im missing some stuff.......

Lets just say they aint cheep, but out of all the ones I have built this one is the most accurare of them all.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Prolly a bit more than I was looking to spend, but very impressive.

Brother Keith

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A couple of mine. Hope you like them. At RFC we call this style rifle a "SuperStock". Not very stock but kinda "stock appearing":
[Linked Image]

Three target shot last week with the Blue Twin. Both rifles avg a touch below .8 MOA at 100 yds
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Vincent; 08/19/08.

It is what you learn after you know it all that is important.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vincent,

Those are nice! (Good shooting too, btw!)

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Waders,

Both have Green Mountain Heavy Sporter barrels (really great barrels) Ruger DSP stocks, Triggers reworks with adjustable sears and VQ hammers, One has a Rimfire Technologies trigger and the the other has a Tennessee Precision Arms (no longer in business)). They have torsion style reset springs wound by myself.

Both rifles are glass bedded using a bedding scheme worked out and tested by me (it is a little odd ball but works great). grin

Both have Talley base ring combinations and Mueller APV 4.5-14X AO scopes.

Both have many hours of testing. I enjoy building, testing and sharing them. It is great fun to let others at the range shoot them and see their minds changed about what they thought of light weight semi autos are capable of.

At RFC we call this style rifle a "SuperStock"....stock appearing but far from stock. Feel free to check us out:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Last edited by Vincent; 08/28/08.

It is what you learn after you know it all that is important.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,218
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.