Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
After reloading some 223 rounds my brother and I decided to sort the assembled cartridges by weight (approx 184gr)

We started off with a Lyman DPS 1200 and when I rechecked some of the cartridges the readings were different by up to .4 grains than what the cartridge checked a few minutes earlier.

Thinking it was the scale I got my RCBS Rangemaster and sorted them again, similar results !!

We tried it zeroing on a cartridge then sorting by weight difference and by zeroing the scale and separating by actual weight.

We compared between scales and found they often differred by .2 and once in a while .3 grains

My brothers reloading room is draft free with a very solid and level bench. I have lost all confidence in these scales for anything closer that .4 grs.
Is there a solution or do we have to go back to the 10-10?

Last edited by Vince; 08/17/08.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you are weighing loaded rounds and did not sort your brass and bullets for uniform weight, then I would guess the variance you are seeing is due to the variation in brass and bullet weight more than the charge weight.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
i would have to agree. if you didn't wiegh and seperate the brass and bullets that would be the difference. alot of people make that mistake. all brass cases are not created equal like men are.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I have lost all confidence in these scales for anything closer that .4 grs. Is there a solution or do we have to go back to the 10-10?"

I have the forerunner to your 1010, the Lyman M-5, both made by the Ohaus scale company. I bought mine in '65 as part of my first batch of loading tools. It's as dead-on accurate today as it was the day I opened the box.

I worked as an electonic instuments tech in the space program for about 15 years. There are no digital scales on my bench. There won't be, you are seeing part of why. NO electronic toy scale can be accurate for long without annual check ups and recalibrations, and none will last as long as my trusty old beam scale.

All of that said, I really doubt that a properly developed accuracy rifle reload larger than a Hornet is going to be harmed by a +- .2 gr. charge variation.

Last edited by boomtube; 08/18/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to make sure that you re-zero often, and that no powder has gotten below the weigh pan.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by boomtube
"I have lost all confidence in these scales for anything closer that .4 grs. Is there a solution or do we have to go back to the 10-10?"

I have the forerunner to your 1010, the Lyman M-5, both made by the Ohaus scale company. I bought mine in '65 as part of my first batch of loading tools. It's as dead-on accurate today as it was the day I opened the box.

I worked as an electonic instuments tech in the space program for about 15 years. There are no digital scales on my bench. There won't be, you are seeing part of why. NO electronic toy scale can be accurate for long without annual check ups and recalibrations, and none will last as long as my trusty old beam scale.

All of that said, I really doubt that a properly developed accuracy rifle reload larger than a Hornet is going to be harmed by a +- .2 gr. charge variation.

I don't know about the toy part, but I bought an Ohaus Navigator a few years back now and it works fantastic, way better than a beam scale. I check it every now and then with an RCBS set of check weights and it's never been off yet. I've never had to reset the zero, it doesn't wander.

Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a $20 toy digital scale on ebay to use as a fast way to sort brass. When I place an item on it, it varies by +/- 0.02 grains and repeats this over time.

For $25 this is fine for the intended purpose.

I have no desire to shoot loads that need to have their charges accurate to within +/- 0.02 grains to meet my accuracy standards. Loads this finicky are not conducive to fun times at the range

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had problems with several digital scales sold to reloaders. So, I bought a Denver Instruments APX-153. It is repeatable, and faster than a speeding bullet.
I do not use it for weighing powder however. I use an early Ohaus beam balance scale for that.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 10gaugemag, akrange, 12 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,938
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.