Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Man shot to death at mall shooting range

August 17, 2008 at 11:39 PM EDT

EDMONTON � Authorities are trying to figure out how a man ended up getting shot to death at a firing range inside West Edmonton Mall on Sunday afternoon.

Police say the man crossed under a protective barrier at the Wild West Shooting Centre and into the target side of the range, but they do not believe it was a criminal incident.

Cody Priddle, who was inside the range and witnessed the shooting, said he can't explain why the man chose to do something so dangerous.

�I don't know why he got shot. I don't know why he went up there . . . I just saw him drop to the ground,� Mr. Priddle told CHED radio.

Acting Police Inspector Darcy Strang said it doesn't appear the firing range did anything wrong, although investigators are still examining the safety angle.

The age and name of the victim have not yet been released.

This is the third shooting at the range in just over a year.

In July, 2007, two incidents occurred, one in which a man shot himself in the face, and another where a man killed himself.

A representative for the shooting centre couldn't be reached for comment on Sunday evening.

When last year's shootings occurred, Wild West owner Ken Kupsch said he had no plans to change the range's rules, but would consult other centres on what steps they take.

He said his staff turn people away if they're not comfortable with them, and that people who appear to be suffering from anxiety or have been drinking are not admitted.

The security office at West Edmonton Mall said that a spokesman for the mall did not want to comment on Sunday about the shooting.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year in Alberta 154 people were killed on the job. Only a few were accidently shot, so it's still safer at the range than on the job. I've been to that shootin centre and they run a first class operation there. I hope they aren't shutdown over this incident.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree. Ken runs a good show up there. I also hope he does not get shut down.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,340
Posts18,526,828
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.