Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My belt tensioner pulley on my Navistar 7.3 liter diesel has broken once a year for the last three years. It has a fairly weak aluminum case.

Anybody else having this problem?
How do you get/find/buy a more robust part that won't break every year?

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
lOOK ON THIS SITE FOR YOUR ANSWERS:
www.F150ONLINE.COM

Gordy
FM:Hunters Helping HUnters
www.hhh-uas.org
LM:NAHC
MRB:TRCP
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the link. I have not found my answer yet but that is a start. Where can you find about ford recalls? I have heard of others having probs with this part. It is real dissappointing to have it go out in traffic, once a year.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
www.thedieselstop.com there are some really knowledgable guys on the forums over there...and I think every imaginable thing a Ford can do, can be fixed. I learned of a different style of tensioner available for my powerstroke from them, and it's great

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have you tried talking to the guys at the parts department at the local dealership. There is usually at least one guy there who knows what he's talking about and will know if there's a recall or a better, redesigned tensioner.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Accraholic:
Thanks for the link. Here is one a guy at work gave me for looking up safety recalls and service bulletins for all makes and brands. REAL helpful:

http://www.alldata.com/

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
LSU;
Well, I went to three dealerships yesterday trying to do exactly what you suggested but with little success. BUT the guys at the off road custom shop pointed me to the Navistar authorized repair and I went there, Grimes in Frederick MD. They showed me the Navistar belt tension pulley they had on the box, THEN, I went directly to Ford again and looked carefully at theirs, nib. The Navistar was a LOT beefier than the Ford. Later I met a diesel guy who works on the big rigs and he told me they only buy ford parts from Grimes and never from Ford because Ford pawns off second rate parts as factory originals at top dollar, WHICH-- seems to be exactly what has been happening to me. I also found a recall on the all.data.com website that pertains to belt alignment. So thanks very much one and all for the help.

Next time TOYOTA! I learned my lesson. I am kinda pissed at Ford right now, considering how dangerous it is for that belt tensioner to break while in traffic. God Forbid, it should break on the highway at 65 mph and you lose power steering without warning.

I used to be a big Ford fan, but what I saw really educated me. AND they denied there were any recalls on my truck but all.data.com listed about 7 safety recalls and 7 or more general recalls. Ford either was stupid or stonewalled me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (afisher, 35, Anaconda, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.