Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Since Kahles and Zeiss seem to have discontinued their RF specific scopes, what high quality RF scopes are still available?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold 3X9 EFR and 6.5X20 EFR.
Virgil B.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by TomSmith
Since Kahles and Zeiss seem to have discontinued their RF specific scopes, what high quality RF scopes are still available?

Any Leupold scope with an Adjustable Objective (AO) lens...

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SWFA lists a 4x Conquest that is paralax adjusted for 50 yards. Thought Doug had one too ... but don't see it now.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have several of the little Leupold 4x. and would get another.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Leupold 3X9 EFR
Virgil B.

+1

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if they're high quality but IMO the Nikon Prostaff rimfire models seem as good as anything out there without AO. I've got Leupolds on everything else I own. I bought the Nikon based on price and positive opinions of it from other people. It's not a target scope but to me it looks good and has good optics. For a hunting 22LR scope I don't see how you could improve on it a whole lot.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TomSmith: I also highly recommend the Leupold 6x18 with A.O., the 6.5x20 with A.O., the 4x12 with A.O. and the 2 models of the 3x9 with A.O. (the Rimfire EFR in matte black and the Ultralight EFR in gloss black) for rimfire Rifle useage.
I have used all of these scopes on various rimfire Rifles I have owned and now own.
Another scope that has worked out splendidly for me is a Nikon Monarch variable in 5.5x16.5 power range. I use this scope on my newish Remington 40X in 22 L.R. caliber! This scope has a very exacting A.O. on it and to a certain extent I have been able to use it as a rangefinder!
Yes this scope has an A.O. that when the target is in focus I just read the A.O. yardage figure and adjust holdover accordingly.
On my Ruger 77 V/T in rimfire caliber 17 HMR I am now using a wonderfully reliable and optically pleasing Weaver V-16!
This 4x16 variable scope has a fine crosshair with fine dot reticle! It also has the adjustable objective feature.
All of the scopes I have mentioned have done yeomans duty on my high volume shooting rimfire Rifles.
I would NOT even consider a scope for rimfire Rifle useage that did not have the adjustable objective feature - I know they are more expensive but I also know they work out better at the range and in the Hunting fields!
WAY better!
And they are a better investment of ones dollars also - as they resell quicker than non-A.O. models and the investestor gets back a higher percentage of his investment if it needs to be resold.
Best of luck with whichever scope you might choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
For good quality at a nice price, look at the Sightron 3x9 with mildots.... allows you to do hold overs at different ranges which is key with the ballistics of some RF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my Kimber Super America with a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR, I really like this scope on a rimfire.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
That's a great looking Kimber. Beautiful stock.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Is the EFR Leupold 3-9 parallax adjusted to 50yds? I'm looking at one in my Cabelas's catelog and it doesn't say anything about it. It is $370, which seems a little high to me for a Leupold, the fixed 4x Zeiss is about the same amount and I think the Conquest glass is higher quality. Zeiss used to make a 3-9x40 that was parallax adjusted to 50yds but I don't think they make it anymore.

Not that the Leupold is a bad choice, there's a lot to like about Leupold, I just think that between the two, the Zeiss is probably a little higher quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, I would buy your Leupolds here, you wont find a better price. Second I think you're selling Leupold short over Zeiss. I have owned a few and have gone back to leupold every time, not that there bad, I just felt leupold was better IMO.

And go AO on a rimfire, that will address you're parallax issue.

Last edited by passport; 08/20/08.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by passport
First, I would buy your Leupolds here, you wont find a better price. Second I think you're selling Leupold short over Zeiss. I have owned a few and have gone back to leupold every time, not that there bad, I just felt leupold was better IMO.
And go AO on a rimfire, that will address you're parallax issue.

I think it is an Urban Legend that Zeiss scopes are better than Leupold rifle scopes.

Bill

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Passport: You just knocked out one of my eyes with the photo of that exquisitely stocked Kimber Rifle!
WOW!
How does it shoot?
Who cares how it shoots - that Rifle is so beautiful that it would make me happy just sitting in my gunsafe!
I have four of the old Kimber of Oregon high grade models and they do have excellent wood on them!
How close does the 3x9 EFR model adjust its objective lense down to? How many yards?
Thanks for posting the picture of that Rifle its something!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Take a look at the Weaver 3-9x AO rimfire scope and their 2.5-7x rimfire scope. Both are very good. Many like the Mueller APV scope 4.5-14x for rimfire shooting. I have all of these on rimfires. I have two of the 3-9x ones mounted.

I guess it really depends on what you consider "quality". But I like the Weaver rimfire scopes a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks VarmintGuy. smile

That gun is stupid accurate, shoots under 1/2 inch at 50 meters and under 1/4 at 25. Zero flyers with good ammo, Wolf MT is about all I feed it.

As for the scope I think it goes down to 15 yards, but I will need to get my azz out of my lazy boy and look to be sure and Im too dam tired. I will let you know for sure tomorrow.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bill: I have owned several Zeiss products over the eyars and I also keep going back to Leupold!
I have enjoyed the Zeiss products I bought but I am down to just one Zeiss scope today.
I have dozens of Leupold products - never had one fail mechanically and never had one fail to do anything I wanted them to do.
And I come from the generation of Hunters who used to Hunt Wyoming when you could begin Hunting Big Game one hour before sunrise and Hunt til one hour after sunset and the Leupolds I used with complete satisfaction back then are still doing everything I ask of them today.
I don't know if Leupolds scopes are "better" than Zeiss scopes or not - I don't really care.
I do try to buy American as often as I can though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Passport: No hurry.
I thought it would probably be accurate - as well as beautiful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Passport: I went to the new Leupold site and that scope adjusts for parallax down to 10 METERS!
What ever that is?
I think that is 11 yards or 33 feet???
Save your energy - that answers my question.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,824
Posts18,496,551
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.