Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bill: I have owned several Zeiss products over the years and I also keep going back to Leupold!
I have enjoyed the Zeiss products I bought but I am down to just one Zeiss scope today.
I have dozens of Leupold products - never had one fail mechanically and never had one fail to do anything I wanted them to do.
And I come from the generation of Hunters who used to Hunt Wyoming when you could begin Hunting Big Game one hour before sunrise and Hunt til one hour after sunset and the Leupolds I used with complete satisfaction back then are still doing everything I ask of them today.
I don't know if Leupolds scopes are "better" than Zeiss scopes or not - I don't really care.
I do try to buy American as often as I can though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmint Guy, you know me, I used to be heliflyer on RFC.

I probably have 30 Leupold scopes mounted on rifles.

Bill

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Passport: I went to the new Leupold site and that scope adjusts for parallax down to 10 METERS!
What ever that is?
I think that is 11 yards or 33 feet???
Save your energy - that answers my question.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well, just for the halibut, a meter is 39.54 inches the last time I checked. So, 10 meters is 10 yards and, 35.983333 inches. smile smile smile

Anyone want to round it off at eleven yards? grin grin grin

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 08/20/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the EFR Leupold 3-9 parallax adjusted to 50yds? I'm looking at one in my Cabelas's catelog and it doesn't say anything about it. It is $370

The EFR is AO ...

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VarmintGuy, questions on the Leupold 3x9 EFRs with AO. Do you know if the rimfire and ultralight models are the same scope with the exception of finish? The specs appear the same.

I'm asking because I'm considering one but heard somewhere that the ultralight models are their old compact model with a name change. I bought a 3x9 compact model the last year (5 or 6 years ago) they were made and had Leupold set the paralex to 50 yards for rimfire use. It looks good on my 77-22 but I don't think it compares in brightness and eye relief to the standard model Leupolds including the VXI. Do the more recent 3x9 EFRs have improved optics?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Rimfire 3-9X EFR's are VX-II's, better coatings, click adjustments. The Ultralight version is identical but offered in a medium duplex with a gloss finish. I've used them on a couple of rifles, but I keep going back to the VX-II 4-12X AO. It parallax adjusts to 25 yards (really about 17 for me) but is quite a bit better in lower light situations than the Rimfire or Ultralight..at least to my eyes. Also, keep in mind the 3-9X EFR has about an inch shorter eye relief and the eyebox is bit more critical. That may or may not pose a problem....

That's my take.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB ... Thanx fer the idea ... I wouldn't have thought about that scope for a rf .... checked it out and saw it had fine duplex ... got my mind all churing now. I do/did have plans for a rf EFR sometime in the future .... mebbee the 4-12 maybe a better fit.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
George, it's about the size of a regular 3-9X Leupold, ring spacing is about 5.3 inches. It is too much for some rifles, but seems to be about perfect for the likes of a 77/22 or something similar. JB

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JB in SC
The Rimfire 3-9X EFR's are VX-II's, better coatings, click adjustments. The Ultralight version is identical but offered in a medium duplex with a gloss finish. I've used them on a couple of rifles, but I keep going back to the VX-II 4-12X AO. It parallax adjusts to 25 yards (really about 17 for me) but is quite a bit better in lower light situations than the Rimfire or Ultralight..at least to my eyes. Also, keep in mind the 3-9X EFR has about an inch shorter eye relief and the eyebox is bit more critical. That may or may not pose a problem....

That's my take.
i think you mean vari-xII the vx II are all click adjusments

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The comparison was to the older Compact line 3-9X EFR in answer to 43Shooter's question, which were Vari-X II's with friction adjustments.

Keep in mind the rest of the Rimfire line still has friction adjustments (VX-I 2-7X Rimfire and the FX-I 4X Rimfire) and don't have the improved coatings.

Oddly, the ultralights are VX-II's and FX-II's with the better coatings and click adjustments. Go figure....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. JB. It looks like they've improved the internals with better optics and click adjustments on the 3x9 EFR but are still using the old compact tube so it still has less eye relief and a more critical eyebox.

If it's not too big for the rifle the VXII 4-12 AO sounds like a better value, even at $50.00 more. You get better eye relief and eyebox with 25% more magnification.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

If it's not too big for the rifle the VXII 4-12 AO sounds like a better value, even at $50.00 more. You get better eye relief and eyebox with 25% more magnification.

Rightly or wrongly, that's my thinking...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Leupold A/O
Swift A/O
Sightron A/O
Nikon A/O

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VA you forgot Weaver AO. I have one of there rimfire 3x9x33 AO on another Kimber I have and its real nice.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Guys: Pardon my slow reply - I fell off the earth there for a couple of days.
Looks like all the questions have been answered satisfactorily.

43shooter: The shallow range/distance of eye relief would not be a problem on a rimfire - would it?
Are you worried about scope set-up initially where there may be a problem somewhere in scope placement in the rings?

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it's more the "eye box" of the compact tube on the 3x9 EFR not being as quick or comfortable to get on target with as some scopes. I've got a 2x7 VXI that I had the paralex set to 50 yards on for use as a rimfire scope. The ocular lens is noticibly larger in diameter than the one on a 3x9 compact that I did the same thing with. The VXI gives me a more relaxed spot weld and is more comfortable to shoot.

I guess it gets down to what you're going to use them for and what works best for each indiviual's vision. There's no question the 3x9 EFR with AO and it's ability to focus finer at all ranges with greater magnification has more user flexibility.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
VA you forgot Weaver AO. I have one of there rimfire 3x9x33 AO on another Kimber I have and its real nice.

I can't find this scope on their website .... do they still make it?

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by passport

I can't find this scope on their website .... do they still make it?

I dont think they do, but Im not sure. The only reason I say that is because I could not find it on there site either.

There are still a few around and if you google it you should find some, but I rate it almost as good as my Leupold.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have been very pleased with my Sightron S2 6x hbr with fine cross hair on top of my .22
very bright, very good contrast and very reliable adjustments, with good tracking. i can't say enough about it. however i don;t know if it qualifies as high quality or not, it is not a 600.00 scope............. but it sure does like to act like one. has a good warantee too.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 08/28/08.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought one of the Weaver 3-9x AO's about a month ago at Midway. First one I bought at Sportsman Warehouse and they quit carrying the 3-9x, only the 2.5-7x similar to the Leupold. So, Weaver may well have discontinued that scope. I may just have to check around and order another one if I can find one before they are gone.

Optics Planet have them listed in their catalog.

Last edited by slingshot; 09/05/08. Reason: Added info
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.