Hop To
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hello all,

Been chasing elk and mulies here in CO for 20 years now and recently started to have an interest in these areas in general based on some scenery pictures I was shown. At this point were looking at hunting here in 2010 or later and just wanted to get a feel for the area. I know there is a lot of hunters in the area but was wondering about camp sites and such since we run a traditional type camp with wall tents. Right now were looking at merging to hunting camps into one for this hunt as many of us are friends, but hunt different spots and seasons. The draw here for us is the scenery and the area in general. We all hunt further to the north in the Gunnison area. Looking thru the statistics shows me that hunting is excellent with good odds of knocking down an elk and a deer in the same hunt. Been a long time since we could hunt both in the same season due to the PP's required to get a tag in our normal unit.

So any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions will be appreciated. No worries on the how to though, as all of us are seasoned veterans here in CO. Thanks for any info.

Kelly

Shut up and hunt!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be in 741 for the first time this year. Have you heard much about that unit? The ones you mention are all around it...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'll be in 741 for the first time this year. Have you heard much about that unit? The ones you mention are all around it...
Well what I do know is that the Units down there do real well consistently year in and year out. That includes 741 although if I remember right off the top of my head it does better later in the year. Deer hunting statistics say anywhere from 67% to 78% thru all the seasons. Elk hunting averages to above average to average in 741 thru the seasons. A guy can't go wrong with getting a tag in the area. Not sure about trophy status or if it applies in your situation. We hunt up north where deer tags are hard to get and the elk hunting is fair or less. Depends on the season and the weather. Did well last year 1st rifle on elk and going to try it again this year. However, can't draw a deer tag until at least next year and will wait and see if they rebounded after the bad winterkill. Been waiting a long time to get a tag so another year or two don't matter much. grin

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think 741 is mostly tied up in private, and Indian, land.

I'll be there 2nd season. Should be interesting! I'm hunting a ranch, just a plain ol' hobby ranch, not a pay-to-hunt place. Friend of a friend.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
You should be in a good spot Jeff. That part of the state is known mulie country. My dad took a 180's buck not far from there over near Cortez next to the tribal lands. More deer down that way than most know what to do with.

Shut up and hunt!
IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I'll be in 75 and/or 751 with a guide for the third rifle season. I can let you know what I see and think of those areas.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.