Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now that's funny...and a good idea!
It could be called,SUCCESSFUL AMERICAN GUNS AND RIFLEMAN LOONY MONTHLY.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 08/20/08.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I already subscribe so guess I better renew when the time comes. Is Venturino going to make you wear any of his Hawaiian shirts?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I can run faster than him, so no.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I can run faster than him, so no.

grin grin grin
And, no suspenders either???? grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'll be buying Guns magazine now. Congratulations!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With you AND Taffin on staff and articles by Cumpston I guess now I'll subscribe again (after many years of buying only an occasional copy).

PS I told them this in the comments portion of my order!

Last edited by Hobie; 08/21/08.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey JB, look like you have a whole new audience to educate on the merits of the 6.5x55 and 7x57. Their lives will never be the same.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations JB - I've done several articles in Guns and AH. Jeff and Roy are nice to work with and have always treated me very well.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One interesting thing about GUNS lately has been their choice of assignments for their regular writers. John Taffin had an article on the Savage 110 in 250-3000 in this issue, and it wasn't bad! He even ended it by musing over the same gun in 6.5 Swede... Hopefully Roy Huntington gives JB the space he needs, and we want, to do some interesting work.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My subscription to Handloader is up in December, so I got the usual billing from Wolfe. Here is the letter I enclosed with the subscription form (and no check):

Dear friends at Wolfe Publishing,

I�ve subscribed to Handloader, Rifle and Successful Hunter from Issues Number One. Probably that is not a big deal to you folks, but it was important to me.

Somehow, you managed to lose Johnny Barsness. Frankly, he was the only thing going for you.

I have no idea if it was a power struggle, a money thing or a personality clash. Whatever, you had an enormous, monumental and deadly brainfart and should never have let him go.

So I had to ask myself, �Steve, why would you possibly want to keep re-subscribing to the Wolfe mags?� The answer is that I�m not.

By the way, I have to ask a question: Why the Hell did you dirty your pages with the likes of Clair Rees? That man is a fool and ALL of your readers know it.

Anyway, please let my subscriptions lapse. There is nothing for me at Wolfe Publishing now. Considering the fact that my writing career started at Wolfe, I am really disappointed in you.

What a damned shame.

Yours very sincerely,

Steve Timm

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Steve, my friend, there's no need to be subtle. Why didn't you tell them how you really feel about the situation? confused laugh

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Steve, my friend, there's no need to be subtle. Why didn't you tell them how you really feel about the situation? confused laugh

Subtle I ain't. Screw it.

I'll never write for Wolfe or any other magazine publisher again, so I don't have to be PC (not that I ever was grin).

Today, I am simply a subscriber who spends his money for his favorite interest magazines. I was never "comped" to free magazines, I paid just like everyone else. It genuinely pisses me off to see my collection of over forty years ended. And it was probably because someone did something incredibly stupid.

Editors and publishers just love to mess with writers. I had that happen myself and I just plain quit forever.

Anyway, Wolfe just doesn't have enough left for me. Hey, it just gives me more money for the school scholarships and that is a really great thing!!!!!

I would imagine Scovill will look at the letter and say, "Holy [bleep], Steve is really pissed." He can holy [bleep] all he wants to. The fact is that either he, or someone very close to him, screwed up in a really royal fashion. Whoever it was, that act lost this long-time subscriber.

What a waste.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats John! Steve, I am going to get to use those Geovids quite a bit this fall. Got a moose hunt to help with and for myself 2 elk, 2 deer and 2 antelope tags. When you coming out?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm down to producing one or two articles a year. I thought I wanted to be a gunwriter and I was probably well on my way when I realized that it was a whole lot of work for very little pay. What's more, it was very difficult getting assignments for topics I'm really interested in.

I've written for a whole bunch of magazines, but Dave Scovil wouldn't give me the time of day. I offered to sort of fill the vaccum for vintage guns left open by the departure of Ross Seyfreid, but he wasn't in the least bit interested. Then every time I opened the cover of Rifle or Handloader, I wold just shake my head at the content wondering how Scovil could find all that stuff more interesting. Claire Reese and Al Miller?? They may be great guys but the copy they turn out is for elementary students. There have been more than one issue where JB's article was the only thing worth reading.

Either way, I don't see me calling Scovil back.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Great News, John! Like Steve, I've got every Rifle, Handloader, and Successful Hunter to date. Like Steve, I've gotten my re-up letter. And like Steve, it'll go back with a condolence note, but no check. GREAT GUNS! Respectfully. TD

It must be an omen.

I only just received my first edition of Guns last week after subsribing.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Timing is everything. Well, that and location. Oh yeah, and opportunity and........

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thought some of you might like to know that I have firmed up a deal to be a staff writer for GUNS, where I'll mostly be covering handloading and rifle stuff, along with an occasional piece on shotguns and maybe even handguns. Apparently they plan for my stuff to be in every issue, which is fine with me!

Good! NOW, quit writing about drillings; you're driving up prices... mad

grin wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=luv2safariGood! NOW, quit writing about drillings; you're driving up prices... mad
grin wink [/quote]

LMAO!!!! grin

Steve Timm,

Most excellent letter to Wolfe; my kind of letter, with no mincing of words. There's time and place for tact and diplomacy. This ain't one of 'em..

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Best to you JB. Hope it works out just fine.

William Clunie
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.