-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm struggling with what cleaning technique I should use for cleaning my BLR. I didn't realize that the bolt doesn't come out so I can't clean it properly like my Malin. So far I've just used a bore snake but was wondering what I might do to be a little more aggressive in cleaning with out damaging the crown. Is there some sort of bore guide to use from the muzzle end?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a Dewey brass muzzle guide for my levers. Has a rubber gasket that helps protect your crown. They come caliber specific for .30, .35, .44 and .45 for certain. Not sure about others. My son has a BLR in .308 so .30 works fine.
Very useful for cleaning BLR's or if in the field, even Marlins. Of course it does mean you are pushing crud toward the action so I just hold rifle upside down. Helps to put a cleaning patch inside the action to catch some of the crud.

Guides are about $6-7 from Brownells or Sinclair Intl etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two BARs. Yes, you need a bore guide. I use a brass one. Cabela's calls them a "muzzle guard." However, if you are gonna run a BAR for some time, its important to learn how to strip it down. The bolt DOES come out, but of course, you still clean it from the muzzle when the bolt is out. The gas port is important to be kept clean. I always clean the gas port, etc. after I use harsh bore cleaners like copper removers. Your owner's manual should have the instructions for stripping the rifle down, but if you are uncomfortable with the process, go to a gunsmith and watch him do it. If you have no manual, get one from Browning. I've used my .270 BAR (I also have a 30-06) for close to 30 years, keep it clean and it has always rewarded me with excellent service (about 80 deer with it). Usually didn't need much of a cleaning but when it gets wet I like to clean it well. A BAR is well worth keeping in good working order and N. MN is a great place to put one to work. Enjoy! smile

There are many copies.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
BLR, nor the BAR..... but d has a great point... if you want to learn how to take it apart it takes about 2 minutes to strip. 1.7 hours to put back together the first time smile there's a few extra parts in there and it is timed so it needs to go back just right.

it isn't rocket science and you can learn it so dont be shy. just make sure if it wont go back together you have some local help to show you the way smile

once apart you can really scrub and lube.

good luck....

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woofer
BLR, nor the BAR.....
woofer

Bwaaaahhhahaha grin blush
Dang, I'm gettin' old.
I love my BARs.

There are many copies.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I cleaned the BLR 243 by tying a loop in 25 lb monofilament fishing line and pulling patches through the bore.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I clean from the muzzle with the brass guard thingy also.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looks like I'll have to order one up. I think it was only like $7 which is much cheaper than a new crown

J
JAL Offline
J
You fellers never heard of the Otis cleaning kits? A fancy pull-thru set-up that cleans from the chamber, with patches,brushes,bells and whistles.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
get a brass or plastic punch set, remove the bolt and clean from the bolt end. First time will take a bit of figuring going back together. Note the timing of the mechanism when removing. I had a bore guide machined for mine from deriln.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.