Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rusty75
I am considering the following calibers and was wondering which seems to have the fewest problems-

300 wsm
30-06
300 win mag

If I felt it necessary to ask this question before buying, that would be the bottom rifle on my list. smile

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My friend's and my .308 Montanas are perfect. My two .300WSM Classics are not.

Last edited by Fishinado; 08/07/08.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a Montana in a .300 mag. It wouldn't feed from the left side when I got it, especially on a full magazine. I sent it back and it works great now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since you said "trouble free", I'd have to say all my WSM's are/were that. I've had over 20 of these in many configurations and the WSM's were the most "trouble free". A couple of 300WSM's were very accurate and on par with three 308's I had/have.
The LA's I had were very good to.
I think what you are looking for is a trend. That's fine, but each rifle is a mystery unto itself and you'll discover what mystery yours' has after a few range sessions. There are no guarantees - just high expectations.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
i now have it narrowed down to the 300 wsm or 30-06. i am having trouble warming up to the wsm as i have never owned one, but i have not heard of any 30-06 montanas good or bad.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 8400 LA (30-06) Montana feels like a log to me compared to the 84M Montana (308) which feels like a svelt upland bird gun. Also, I much prefer the feel of the 8400 WSM over the 8400 30-06, which has a longer receiver and longer forearm that don't balance well for me... it also weighs more. Others, however, see it differently.

What's the point (use) of this rifle?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
my purpose for this gun would be a true all around rifle. it's primary focus would be whitetails with the option to step up to elk or moose.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you handled any of them?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
i have handled the 84m, which is a little light for me and the 300wsm which balanced well. i have never even seen a 8400 la anywhere, so i can't compare it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jimmy P. The title of this post says it all.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by M. Saenz
Face the fact Kimbers are unreliable and move on to better options.

My experience with five Kimber Montana's is quite to the contrary...

Yeah, I know... Look at how unreliable my POS Kimber 84M Montana in 308 is!!! LOL...

Attached Images
10771-IMG_1850.JPG (93.44 KB, 323 downloads)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Show me about 10 groups like that and it will mean something.

BTW: I really like Kimbers, but one apple will not make a pie.

Battue

Last edited by battue; 08/23/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it interesting that one would consider a brand (of anything) that has a spotty reputation by asking which model gives the least problems.

If I'm considering a vehicle from manufacturer "A" based on the glowing recommendations of one or two neighbors, but discover that about 20-30% of the purchasers overall had significant problems I would give it second thought. Add to that the stories that many of those folks didn't get satisfaction under the dealer factory warranty service. They then had to go and plunk down about 10-20% of the purchase price of the vehicle to have their local mechanic make it right.

Thinking that I would run to the nearest dealer of models "B", "C" etc. and find reliable wheels for 2/3 of the price and have it perform "out of the box."

Unless, of course, I needed to do what my neighbors do.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I acknowledge the controversy on Kimbers others express. My experience with 6 Kimbers (5 8400s - 1 in 270WSM MT, 1 in 270WSM Classic, 1 in 300WSM Classic, 1 in 300WSM MT, 1 in 325WSM MT - & 1 84M Classic in 308) was that all, except the 270WSM Classic, shot <MOA and fed well. The 84M 308 MT was wonderfully light, handy in the mountains and accurate (the reason I got it) but the LOP was too short for me - something I knew when I bought it. On the other hand, the 8400s are well balanced both in handling and for the calibers chambered. If I put emotion aside, this kind of consistent accuracy is only matched by the pre-64 M70s I've owned. I don't mean to stir up controversy or resurrect ghosts, but only base an opinion on my own, albeit limited experience.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B Bob,
Some Kimbers have had some issues and when you're dealing with the internet, all kinds of crap comes up and out. IMO you're not comparing apples to apples, but you are making a mountain out of a molehill, here. We're talking a $1000 gun, not a $30,000 to $50,000 vehicle. 10-20% is $200 or so, but with a vehicle you're talking $3,000 to $10,000! Please tell me which vehicle manufacturer doesn't have recalls, and hasn't had at least one model that has a "spotty reputation". And please point me in the direction where the 20-30% number comes from - always like to see the facts, not the hypothesis. I find it hard to fathom that if Kimber has made, say, 20,000 rifles, that 4,000 to 6,000 have been returned. YMMV.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber7man....

You are implying that, because they are on the internet, claims of problems are suspect? Using that same logic as you the claims of wonderful results would be suspect just because they are on the internet. I don't doubt that there are many satisifed users. Or can you devine which are true, and which are not?

I did not carefully count or do a nose count on positive vs. negative experiences, but feel those numbers aren't way off. Of course, if you have done a careful analysis of all posts, on all websites and can correct me I would be beholden.

You are picking nits on my automobile analogy. It doesn't matter the actual price of the items in the analogy, but the experience does. Yep, some automobiles get recalls for various things, but would you buy a vehicle if you knew ahead of time that there is a fair chance that your pick has a track record of being recalled for the same repeated issues....and the manufacturer apparently hasn't done enough to rectify those problems?

Again, please provide me with data that shows that I am that far off base in my estimations. I am, of course, glad for all those who have had good luck with their Kimbers, as you obviously have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B Bob,
I am stating that IMO it's human nature that when something is wrong, most people will tell everyone they know about it. However, if the experience is what you expected, oftentimes nothing will be said unless asked. It's that way with work - do a good job and the only ones that know will be those that ask - but do a bad job and everyone will know!
It just seems to me that the same repeated issues have been fixed by Kimber - at least I don't recall seeing a HUGE number of posts in the recent past. I would hope that Kimber has been fixing these issues that you speak of - IIRC most of the problems reported were feeding issues, and it doesn't seem that is an issue on new guns? Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time....
On the percentage of Kimber owners (or should I say former Kimber owners?) with problems, you're the one that stated the number, not I. IMO it's not up to me to prove the number is correct or incorrect. However, I'll agree to disagree and quit beating the horse....
Aurora, huh? know anyone at Walker Process Equipment? We use them a lot in our water and wastewater plant designs.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O.K. Marty, I agree you won't agree with me smile

I've had casual acquaintances over the years that worked at Walker, but no names come to mind at the moment. Good company.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lets face it, your going to have Kimber lovers and Kimber haters, simple as that. For some people, Kimbers just feel so "right" that the positives far outweight the negatives. I fall in that camp. Between my dad, my father-in-law, and I, we have a ton of rifles. Remy's, Winchesters, Rugers, Kimbers, Weatherby's, HS precisions, and Ive had many Sako's up to my shoulder. IMO nothing compares to the way a Kimber feels (OK, my father-in-laws HS precision 270WSM is realy nice, but Im not a big fan of the stock). I'll take my 8400 300WSM over my Pre-64 270 or my Remy 700 anyday. You couldn't give me my dads Weatherby or my father-in-laws Ruger to hunt with. There is just something about the way Kimbers feel. Thats why IMO there is such a huge Kimber following. I had to send mine to Hill Country after the groups starting opening up. Now its a 3/4 MOA gun with everything I feed it. 1/2 MOA with a few factory loadings. You just can't ask for a better feeling and better shooting rifle for the $1300 I have invested in the gun. The funny thing is that I cant wait to buy more rifles, but whenever I dream about certain hunts Id like to go on, I always have my Kimber in my hands..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rusty,
Don't let the lightweight feeling of the 308 Montana (5# 2oz.)discourage you. If you hunt a lot of deer size game, the 308 would be it.
This would also cover an occasion elk trip. But if elk was an annual pursuit, I'd feel a little more comfortable with a 300WSM (6# 3 oz.).
The LA Montana's get a little clubby feeling due to the stock dimensions but not the kiss of death.
Keep in mind there is a noticeable difference in recoil between the 308 and 300WSM.
Keep us posted.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 25 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.