Print Thread
Hop To
J
jwm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I plan to buy my grandson a hunting rifle. I have found one we both like but neither one of us knows much about rifles and there prices. We just think it's a nice rifle. It is on GunBroker Item #108017089. He's 12 years old and been hunting two seasons. What do you experienced men think about a rifle like this. I figure it will last a lifetime and then be handed down to his boy maybe. I'm just looking for opinions. James

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Umm.. not a good choice for a hunting rifle. Nothing wrong with the caliber, but for if you're looking for a long term hunting rifle I'd look for a rifle made pre-1960. Savage manufacturing techniques changed in 1960 from the old hand-made/hand-fitted, to a mass production with much less quality. They can still be good shooters, but in the long run I think you'd come to appreciate a vintage hand made rifle much more.

It does have a distinctive look to it.. but for $895 that model should be new in box and bought as a collectible only. A shooter should run closer to $600, imho.

J
jwm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you very much, Calhoun. It's things like that I need to know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would agree with Calhoun, that would not be a hunter in my book.

I do have a 1935 EG for sale. The set up is classic Savage, IMO. It is the second rifle down in this thread. It is not a perfect rifle, but would make a great hunter.

1935 EG for sale

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
James, if you like the gun, buy it. I saw a guy that liked a G last week so much it went for $5000 on Gunbroker so don't let anyone here tell you anything. One second it's hey good going on the $5000 mint G then it's a no on an $800 gun. It's a bit flashy for a deer rifle and the shine might give the little guy away when hunting but the consensus around here these days is if you like it, buy it, at any price.

Good luck to you and your grandson in the bush! grin

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That gun is certainly on the heavy side if he is going to carry it much. If he's shooting from a blind with it the 24" octagon barrel should be very accurate. So, it depends on what the style of hunting will be for me to make a recommendation.

For a 12 year old I'd look for a post war F in .300 Savage. Wish I still had one...

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
sounds like you are the same as pop and I rifles are special and special rifles deserve to be hunted and make memories,. they say less than 10k of the rifle in question were made not really sure of that but am sure you can modify the rifle to fit the boy and once a memory is made all collector value is nill! that oct barrel will make her stand out forever.
my 2 cents

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The front sight is not original, probably a good thing! This stocks are easily cracked if used. I have seen a couple with the toe broken and the top cracked where the butt plate fits with the top of the stock. Not really a good rifle to start off with in my opinion.

Blair

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mad_dog
James, if you like the gun, buy it. I saw a guy that liked a G last week so much it went for $5000 on Gunbroker so don't let anyone here tell you anything. One second it's hey good going on the $5000 mint G then it's a no on an $800 gun. It's a bit flashy for a deer rifle and the shine might give the little guy away when hunting but the consensus around here these days is if you like it, buy it, at any price.

Good luck to you and your grandson in the bush! grin

Just to set the record straight, Mad Dog is the one of the last ones who'd buy that 308 you pointed out. For some reason he's trying to diss us by giving bad advice to you.

I'll PM a couple links to you on rifles that I personally think are decent bargains. Obviously any choice is up to you and your son. Take your time, a lot of the fun is in the search!

PS: There are many more folks who watch this forum than actually participate. If you post a link to a good auction, you'll actually be pointing it out to a lot of people who might bid it higher than it would otherwise go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
diss us

Did you seriously just use the word "DISS"?

Sorry for saying what I thought Homey. I ain't in the group hug club so I still say what I see around here. If my point of view bothers you I most likely won't lose alot of sleep tonight. Sure I don't like the anniversary, so what? My number one rifle for deer and moose is a 99-375, a post mil tang safety rifle. Just cause it wasn't hand fit don't mean it don't shoot and it's gonna explode in your hands next time it's shot. When did you become the anal retentive "collector" that everyone hangs onto every last word anyways? As usual the statement wasn't aimed at you again yet you felt the need to respond cause someone else had a different opinion than you. Go to your p.m. system, it's where you excel!

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe, actually I really enjoy it when you say what you mean. That's the truth.

Now tell me honestly what 1899/99 you will buy your 12 year old grandson in the future to hunt with if you're working with a budget in the range of $1000. This is the gun he'll always remember that you bought him...

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Ive turned over a # of these in the past..and my goodness,there seems to be a significant appreciation in price in the last 6 months!! I'll watch what goes on with this one before putting my last one up. Most 12 year olds,including me at that age, would find this rifle a real burden over a days hunting on foot..But,the weight does help tame the recoil,-- I'd recommend taking off the orig.stock,and setting it up with a synthetic,shotgun butt, & recoil pad, for actual field use... Idabull

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you are dead set on buying that model then buy one NIB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=107906302

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the only way I would keep one of those in my collection was if I had an 1895 of the same serial number. JMTCW

Blair

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would buy my grandson a really nice 99 EG in 300 savage. They are common enough (in Canada) that you could pick up a nice clean example with an excellent bore for $450 - $500. In a few years time they will be much more collectable. The grandson would have a super cartridge in a quality lever action for the rest of his life.
Second choice 99F premillion in 300 Savage.
BillR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwm
I plan to buy my grandson a hunting rifle. I have found one we both like but neither one of us knows much about rifles and there prices. We just think it's a nice rifle. It is on GunBroker Item #108017089. He's 12 years old and been hunting two seasons. What do you experienced men think about a rifle like this. I figure it will last a lifetime and then be handed down to his boy maybe. I'm just looking for opinions. James

James
Welcome,
1st off i'm not gonna even attempt to or even suggest any-thing,I personally think it is a great rifle that you are considering. I own several my self.
But a Gift for a 12 year old boy from his grandad,buying and giving him a commerative rifle will be cheerished for a long long time.
My dad gave me a Teddy rosavelt Winchester 30-30 when i was 13
shot my 2 biggest mulies when i was 14 in meeker colorado. and it alway has been with me.
As i speak even the past few weeks that gun has meant more to me as the Days Pass.
James
the one light-Foot Mike Posted is Very Nice and has a Box. I think.
Go for It. Your Grandson will always Cheerish that Rifle that Grandpa Gave Him.
God Bless your Heart Sir.
Steven

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
jwm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I would like to thank all of you for your opinions and help. He has really got his heart set on that rifle. It may be a little big right now but he's growing. Thanks again. James

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hey, are you from Texas too??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
James
as Said Before. He will alway Cheerish that rifle as i did Mine with My Dad.
Steve

[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.