Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'm an occasional chain saw user.

I need some chain oil and I was looking at the old empty bottle, which doesn't have an SAE number on the label, and wondering if it wasn't really 30-weight motor oil with a higher price tag.

Can anybody tell me? Winter's a-coming. Thanks.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can tell ya my Pop has used straight 30W oil in place of actual bar oil for over 40 yrs with no problems.

Bar oil is stickier so if it is 30W it has additives I'm sure.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am editing my original post. I completely missed that you were asking about chain oil. Sorry about that. 30 wt might work, but good bar oils will contain tackifiers that will hold the oil on the chain and bar better.

Last edited by ScoutmasterRick; 08/26/08. Reason: Didn't read the original post closely enough.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been using old used auto oil, 5-30 or what ever for many years. I have worn several chain saws out, but never the engine.
I have used vacuum motor oil, and rigt now I am using vegetable oil in one to cut big hay bales in half ( 3' x 3' x 8'). If I am cutting a lot of fresh geen pine, that has a lot of sap. I mix a little kerosene or diesel fuel in with the oil to cut the sap.
I'm sure thr pros use some special new stuff,but if you are an occasional user as you said, you just need to make sure the oil gets to the chain and it isn't too thick.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/26/08.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
if you are cutting in very cold temps (sub zero) like we often get up here then I know a lot of guys that will run the lighter oil, that bar oil is so heavy & in very cold temps it's just a little to thick & sticky. lighter stuff like 10 to 30 wt would be good in the cold. hard to beat bar oil when it's hot out though, that's when your lighter oils will just run through too fast.

Something clever here.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I'm an occasional chain saw user.

I need some chain oil and I was looking at the old empty bottle, which doesn't have an SAE number on the label, and wondering if it wasn't really 30-weight motor oil with a higher price tag.

Can anybody tell me? Winter's a-coming. Thanks.

- Tom

There was a time when we used leftover bottles/cans of motor oil for bar oil--it's not a good idea. Bars and chains last MUCH longer with bar oil.

Bar oil is "stickier" than motor oil, stays on the bar better, pumps through the oiler better( unless you're running in frigid conditions--where it's better to go with 30w or 20w).

Go to WallyWorld and buy some bar oil--for an occasional user, two quarts of bar oil will last a looong time.

Of course, the chain saw afficionados are kinda' like gun nuts--they'll tell you to buy the best synthetic bar and two cycle oil, blah, blah.

I run my vintage Mac muscle saws with regular bar oil and regular 2 cycle oil for decades now. I have a 1971 vintage Mac Super Pro 60 that has been in the family since new, and it still out-cuts our newer Husky's and Stihl's in the same engine class--especially at altitude........(that outta' light up the Stihl and Husky guys) grin

Casey

Last edited by alpinecrick; 08/26/08.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm with northerdave on this one. Usually when I'm using a chain saw it is in winter. But I was cutting wood last weekend and burned through the bar oil pretty fast in the warmer temps.

Normally I would need to fill the bar oil resivoir with every gas fill in winter. On Sunday, I was loading wood into the trailer and checked the oil on a whim, the oil res. was darn near empty but had a half tank of gas left.

I alway use bar oil, I guess it's cheap enough that I didn't think twice about it.

Using straight 30 in the winter may be a good thing.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks everybody for the quick replies. I'm hoping to do what cutting I need before full winter - and when I say I'm an occasional user, that means I'm not burning through cords and cords of wood.

I didn't know about the "tackiness" additives. Guess when it comes down to it, I'm not going to go broke buying actual bar oil, so I suppose I'll just add that to my Home Depot list this weekend.

- Tom

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Stihl makes a summer & a winter grade. Noticable difference in the viscosity. Those two oils have always treated me well.

Twisted

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Twistedone
Stihl makes a summer & a winter grade. Noticable difference in the viscosity. Those two oils have always treated me well.

Twisted

You're right--I forgot about that. Is it synthetic?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Worst case you are out a bar and chain(s). I use bar oil but will use regular oil in a bind.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always use good bar oil and 2 stroke mix. It's cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Real bar oil, summer weight, is much thicker and tackier than standard oil. You can watch it and see how it clings to the bar and chain. I've run used motor oil myself, and turned my bar from silver to blue. in some very dense beech wood. It pays to buy the real stuff. As long as it says "high tack", or something similar on it. I use what ever the local store has in stock, that is actual tacky bar oil. In winter straight, non-detergent oil will work.
As far as two stroke oils go, I've bought some real junk before, the saws, weed-eater, etc, barely ran, and were much under powered. Name brand only for me from then on. I like the new stuff, universal mixture ratio. 32-1, 48-1, 72-1, all mixed the same. My saws like it, and still last longer than the outside parts like chain brakes and vibration dampeners. Actually, I've never burned up a 2-stroke engine. My sister blew out a dirt bike engine once, but that was because I told her not to try shifting and to watch the tach. She watched the speedo.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Also, keep an eye on your chain tension. New chains loosen up real fast while breaking in. Tightening once or twice per tank of gas for awhile isn't unusual. If the chain comes off, it can bur the chain where it runs in the blade, ans then you get to spend a hour filing the burs down so it'll slide freely. It can also wreak havoc with your drive sprocket, and some are harder than others to replace. If you ever do replace on. Get a two piece one from a dealer. Most cheaper saws cross over to a more expensive brand. Puolon crosses over to Huskevarna's lower priced saws for a lot of parts. It just takes some internet browsing to find a cross over list to make the dealer admit such things are possible.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, I gotta use the castor oil 2 stroke mix.

Nothing like the sound of a rippin' chain saw and the smell of castor oil in the air...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
well on farm we always used the used oil from tractors and cars that we put in barrel and never had a problem now that i don't cut as much i buy both the winter mix and summer oil

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've run a couple saws now for over 22 years and always used bar oil, because the manuals made that suggestion. I have a newer high end saw now, and it will get the same treatment.

Yes, I know folks that run used motor oil too, but I'm not that cheap. No reason to risk screwing up good equipment just to save a buck.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
bar oil is STP thinned. mix 30 wt in summer and 20 wt in winter or just vary the STP with which oil you use to get the thickness you want, the thicker the better . pure STP in summer worked for me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And for lots of pitch, thin with kerosene.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Here's a website I stumbled on to while doing research prior to buying a saw. Just as there are 'Rifle Loonies', so are there 'chainsaw loonies'. Lot's of good advice has already been given, but if you want even more info/opinions, try:

http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=98dbe88acab308c09308d4a0fbf8b410&f=9

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.