Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
what's the best motor in these trucks pertaining to years? Right now I see the Chevy 5.3 Vortex listed most in my area and the Ford 5.4 Triton as popular motors. I am looking for basically a truck that is more dependable and for the American market, these two seem to be fairly good motorwise. But I have last had a Bronco 79 back in college...a good 20+ years ago. I know American trucks have changed so much in 20 years. I have not yet splurged on a Tacoma even though I want one but they are priced sky-high in the new and used market. This truck will be mostly a weekender for me, so I will probably get a used Chevy 1500/Ford 150 and hopefully with the miles around 70-80K. Are the 5.4 Triton and 5.3 Vortex good dependable motors? I do not anticipate doing alot of towing but may tow a light boat or ATV that I look to getting one for my fast growing kids smile Looking for input on who has one etc. Oh, I see some GMC Sierras but know nothing about these trucks. And I will probably put a life on it eventually to get a bit more ground clearance.

So tell me what you know or have had experience with these Chevy/Ford motors or recommend any other better motors. I know I will not get awesome mph, but what da heck...this is going to be used what it is best designed for.

BTW...I like both of these trucks, have a few uncles who worked and retired for GM and I have rode in many Fords so to me dependability is most important than "name-brand"...but not so sure about Dodges although they seem to be more on the road these days whistle

Thanks for your help...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Ford F150 with a 5.4 Triton and a Tahoe with a 5.3 Vortex. Both were equally good.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
our 5.3 vortec took a nose dive at 115,000. Was doing 65mph when the oil pressure dropped. Couldnt get it shut down in time to save it.

Out of the 2 chevys on our work crew this one that lost the motor has given us the least problems, the duramax has been a PITA. However both of them have given us way more problems than all the fords we have owned combined.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I was getting a gas motor in a 1/2 ton truck it would be a Chevy, whether a 5.3 for light use or a 6.0 for medium use. I have owned and seen a 5.3 go 150,000 with little maintenance other than oil changes, saw it the other day ( a yr later) and it's still doing the same.

I have a little experience with Ford gas motors and I wouldn't trust one as far I as I could throw it and that wouldn't be far enough.

All the motors I speak of get a little work, they don't haul soccer moms or haul a little 200 motorcycle to the track, they get used.

Just saying experiences differ.

All that said, my main truck is a Dodge Cummins diesel! LOL

Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 3 toyota trucks & a Camry, the trucks range from 188K-202K, the 93 w/202K has been trouble-free, only repair was a starter @ 178K, the other 2 I can't say, I bought 'em very well used. Used toyotas w/lo miles are spendy, not much more to buy new and get a warranty. I looked at a new Tacoma, 4X4 Xtra cab 4 cyl. 5 spd, for under $22K, not sure what the V6 would be. I've owned all of the big 3, nothing holds up as well as the Toys.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5.3L GM. Most I know with late model GMCs or Chevys in extended cab shortbed 1500 4x4s, will get near 20MPG highway.

In a 2500 series, the 6.0L GM engine is a good one, but comes in closer to 15MPG in the newer ones. A buddy had a new 2001 Chevy 2500 ext. cab shortbed 4x4 that got closer to 17MPG highway, but understand newer ones are a bit worse.

I don't know a soul with an F150 ext. cab shortbed 4x4 that gets fuel mileage anything close to what the GM trucks do. A friend bought a new Ford F150 4x4 within a few months of when I got my 2006 GMC. Both trucks are fairly identically equpped. Mine has done 20MPG highway (often), his Ford struggles to get 18MPG on nearly the same trip to our hunting camps (30 miles apart).

Stopped to make an appointment to get my double axle trailer inspected today. The owner's son has a 2008 GMC 1500 4x4 with 5.3L engine. He says he's getting close to 21MPG, back and forth from south central PA to the Delaware shore. That one has the new fuel management system on it, mine doesn't.

Last edited by dubePA; 08/22/08.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Concerning diesels, my Dmax has been excellent, and I have modded it to the tune of 500ish RWHP and 1000ish ft lbs of torque. The Dmax is a significantly better engine than 6.0 PSD. Of course, the head of the class has always been the 5.9 CTD, though the DMax holds its own. I haven't heard much about the 6.4 PSD or the 6.7 Cummins, other than the 6.7 doesn't get as good of mileage as the 5.9, and though the 6.4 PSD is better than the 6.0, it doesn't seem to be as good as the Dmax.

Of course, for every generalization there is an opposing view out there. I see those opposing views all the time in my rear view mirror...... grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll agree with you that the duramax is a good motor. Im just saying that up until our warrenty expired, we never had to wash it because they do that when you drop it off at the shop.

I do like the way the fords drive though. Guess they feel more like a truck to me (theres my biased opinion)

The 5.3 getting 20mpg? I wish ours was doing that. Were getting about 10mpg. Of course somebody decided a good idea was to put that motor in a c3500. Course what we do with it doesnt help

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never liked how Fords drive. Dang things seem to wander all over the road compared to a Chevy. I think that is becasue of the lack of a center "dead spot" in the steering

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They do tend to wander a lil. The chevy is tight and it rides soooo smooth. Still cant warm up to it though.

On a side note though, my ranger has very tight steering and it doessnt wander at all. My 87BroncoII was the same way.

IC B3

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that you emntion it, the Rangers do drive well enough, but they seem lacking in power compared to an S-10. I recented test drove a couple Rangers and an S-10 of the 2002-2003 vintage. Given they were within 10HP of each other, it must be gearing in the Chevy was lower.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Havnt drove the S-10's. My 99 ranger has the 4.0-OHV and 4.10's unfortunantly its got an automatic in it but oh well. Seems to rock along pretty well, and is still impressing me.

I'm looking into a programmer for it though. Its just hard to leave things alone. Im sure you know what I mean by that.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!!! Next time you are in Roseburg I'll take you for a ride.............

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
LOL I'll take ya up on that one of these days.

You ever swing into that lil gunshop called Flying Cloud Trading CO?

I forget the name of the road, but off the southern exit y go across the bridge an hang a right. Its down by the warehouses that are by the RR tracks?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Toyota!

88 4Runner......still zinging along.. just short of half a million miles on it... 490,000 plus...

2200 RE... it isn't a dragster, but it gets there, gets great mileage and is reliable as hell...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
LOL I'll take ya up on that one of these days.

You ever swing into that lil gunshop called Flying Cloud Trading CO?

I forget the name of the road, but off the southern exit y go across the bridge an hang a right. Its down by the warehouses that are by the RR tracks?

I try to stay away from that part of town... grin The best gunshop is Roseburg Gun Shop on Diamand Lake Hwy. There is also an excellent Pawn Shop called Associated Buyers just north of Diamon lake HWY on Stephens.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2200 RE... it isn't a dragster

I don't know if even that is enough understatement..... grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is kinda a sketchy area. He does alot of supplying for the cops. An uncle of mine ownes/operates it.

By the way Blaine, the ranger spanked a chevy last night. He was game though an I think he would caught me once my govenor kicked in (really need that prgrammer)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the Rangers do drive well enough, but they seem lacking in power compared to an S-10. I recented test drove a couple Rangers and an S-10 of the 2002-2003 vintage. Given they were within 10HP of each other, it must be gearing in the Chevy was lower

My better half bought a new '91 S-10 4x4 4.3L w/5spd, wanted to swap it on a new '94 Ranger, until she test drove one. Made me go along and drive it, to see what I thought. 4.0L w/5spd. Ranger was a major doogggg. Salesmen kept pointing out there was only about 10HP difference, told him I could read pretty good too. She wound up ordering a new GMC Sonoma ext. cab 4x4 with 4.3L and 5spd.

Have driven 4.0L Rangers and S-10 variants, had a 2002 ZR-2 S-10 myself for four years. No comparison in performance: 4.3L wins hands-down.

Funny you guys mentioned ride in the Ford vs GM discussion. Friend of mine had several Ford 250 Powerstroke 4x4s over the years, last year showed up in a new crew cab Chevy Duramax 2500 4x4 that replaced his similar Ford crew cab. Said the Chevy dealer made him a much better offer and his daddy had switched to a new Chevy Duramax, the year before.

Only complaint he has about the Chevy, is that his employees think they had more leg room in the back of his Fords. They travel alot to jobs, were used to hitchin' a ride with the boss. He told 'em to start driving their own trucks if they didn't like the back seat. None have so far.

He also thinks his Chevy handles and rides much better than his Fords did, no complaints on power or fuel economy either. Generally hauls a double axle enclosed trailer full of tools and equipment, several hundred miles per week.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The D'max and Allison may be a good combo but at 130k my truck is at the stealer again. As of today I have put more tie rods, U joints and wheel bearings in this truck than every other vehicle I have ever owned combined.
Then there's the holes worn through the leather seats.
Chances are pretty slim I will be buying GM in the future.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,459
Posts18,529,130
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.