Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And don't this old gray shooter look ready?

1899B in 303 made in 1900, Marbles tang sight, refinished and repaired stock... but somehow it felt very right to be carrying this old girl around out there. And oddly enough didn't worry for a minute about scratches to the rifle... grin

Ran up to my hunting land yesterday. Checked to make sure the neighbor's kept his horses off my land, made sure the blind is still upright and in one piece, put up the game camera, put down some mineral licks, and did a bit of scouting. High of 80 degrees.. absolutely beautiful! Awfully green for end of August, never seen it anything like this before. Should have some nice fat deer come November.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! Good looking property hope you have a successful season! laugh

I am hoping to get my .303's stock repaired soon, so I can get out and hunt it.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Geesssshhhhh, Calhoun...

Looks to me like you might need a "hunting buddy" there on your place in Nebraska. Make me an "offer"... hahahahaha!!! grin

Nice view you've got... and a vintage "99" to round-out what a lot of us would call "THE" perfect hunting scene.

Deer Season at my bestest hunting buddy's cabin up on the High Plateau among the moutain laurel in the Moshannon State Forest in north-central Pennsylvania doesn't open until December 1st this year... a later-than-usual opening which means we'll probably have a COLD week up at the cozy cabin. (THANK GOODNESS for fireplaces, eh? smile )

Butttttttttttttttt... "cold" is better than "rain".

We'll be hunting at "Dale K.'s" parents' farm on Opening Day this year. Dale posts on the "24-Hour Campfire" and occasionally posts here in our Forum as well.

I'm certainly looking forward to the "Opener"... can't wait to get out in the woods again... just a little over 90 more days... grin

To paraphrase a parable...

"When I was a young man, I thought and spake as a young man"... but now, I am approaching my 73rd year... and I have mellowed� considerably.

While I still hunt, I no longer "like" the killing, I don't mind if others do it as long as they respect the "life" they take... and they eat what they kill or, at least, see that it's not wasted.

But... for me... "hunting" is enjoying the solitude and listening to the sounds of the north-central Pennsylvania woods up on the High Plateau among the pines and mountain laurel� the �moaning� of the wind through the bare limbs of the trees. It's sitting by a warming fire in the cabin's fireplace after the hunt with your favorite beverage in hand and talking about the day's events... or about hunting in general. It's PARTICIPATING in the �tradition" of hunting and reveling in the camaraderie of my sons and my close friends at Deer Camp.

It�s the �clinking� sound of the cartridges as I put them into my rifle�s rotary magazine. It�s the �ta-chunk-clunk... click� sound of the action as I lever a round into the rifle�s chamber and set the safety. It�s the heft of my 55 year old Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle chambered for its 88 year old cartridge (the .300 Savage introduced in 1920) as I swing it onto my shoulder and settle the wide part of the carrying sling in �that place� that God put in a man�s shoulder for that purpose.

Yes, it�s a �man thing�� it�s �tradition�� and thank the Good Lord we have it to enjoy.

You see� �hunting� isn�t about DEATH, it�s about LIVING� and TRADITION� and those things that are so important, but so very private to us all� those things we rarely EVER talk about, but we honor so much. It�s a state-of-being� and a �feeling� more than anything else... and those of you who have felt it, down deep within your soul, YOU KNOW exactly what I mean. smile

Good luck to you, my friend... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Ron well spoken words my friend! that pretty much sums up what alot of us feel, Im thinking! Are bow season opens on Oct. 1st than have to wait till Nov. 15th for the gun! Rory great Pic. of your rifle a looking out of the Blind! John

Last edited by saddlering; 08/26/08.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Your deer seasons sure start late,in B.C.our season starts on Sept 10 and runs till Dec 10.Moose starts Sept 20 until Oct 31.
I believe you have better bag limits though.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, we should be eating fresh venison and Rory will still be cleaning his rifles grin

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That's rifle season.. bow season starts up middle of September. Bag limits vary tremendously by state. In Nebraska you can have two permits that allow you to shoot a buck, but you can then buy as many special permits for does as are still available.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I started early, but it is a lever

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice,Congrats!Someday I will get to Alaska hopefully Kodiak Island MY DREAM (Brown Bear).

Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our deer season starts Oct 5th and runs through the end of the month. Being retired, I can hunt any day I wish, or everyday. It's really fun hunting in 80 degree weather.

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,399
Posts18,506,941
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.