-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never ever heard of a Swarovski 8x30 SLC fogging.I don't say they can't, but that is very very rare. This is a very populare binocular in Norway and Scandinavia . And here we have rain, snow, cold and heat. It's not only Alaska that have bad weather! As a matter of fact I live just as far north as Anchorage. And I live in the southern part of Norway.....
Other 8x30/32 binoculars have perhaps better brightness like Zeiss or Leica (they are 32mm) , but they don't have this little Swarovski's field sharpness.No doubt, best in class in field sharpness.

Last edited by Norwegian; 09/09/08.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run the Swarovski EL 10X42's and have used the same one for six seasons now.

I have not had any problems although I must add that I have not used them in extremely damp climate much.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have had a pair of 8x30SLCs for close to a decade,they are great litlle binos that have never fogged or failed me in any way.

One time,I flipped a boat in high water on a local river and a buddy towed me to shore,my swaros were under water for more than an hour in the storage locker. I hosed off the mud and they have been perfect since that day,if that won't fog em,I don't know what will.

I also had a pair of 7x30s and they were just as good,maybe even better,should have kept them but I think I traded them for a rifle that I latter sold.

These are super little binos.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Norwegian, where are you in Norge? I have relatives in Sunndal and can't wait to get back. Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone actually asked Shoemaker what the story is with all these Swaro bino's failing. I wonder how many other Alaskan guides have experienced the same issue. To be completely honest, the only person that seems to be saying that their is a problem is Eremicus through the mouths of others. I have never heard or read of this problem anywhere else but here, which seems strange if there is really a problem.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a pretty typical Optics thread. On it you have 8 posters responding about gear that they themselves have used and give their honest accurate opinions. Then you have one poster with ZERO personal experience relating second and third hand reports about a company that for whatever reason he has a personal grudge against.
Typical internet, you can get some excellent information but you have to filter out the internet BS. It's pretty obvious which is which...................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That fact that Eremicus has a hardon for Swarovski seems pretty clear. The fact that he has repeatedly used Barsness's and Shoemaker's names here and they both post here seem odd. I'm just surprised no one has gone directly to the sources to confirm or deny this issue that has gone on for years here. I hope you don't think that I place any value on Eremicus's opinions.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hell, I don't place much, if any, value on the opinions of someone that I don't personally know.

I know what works and doesn't for me and I only have to make myself happy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would want to besure before dropping 1500 bucks. I don't know you personally, but I get the general impression that if you recommend something, that it is probably because it has survived less than TLC for more than a season or two.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
P.S. You forgot to ask Phil about toilet paper preference. Who cares, use what works for you.

I couldn't care and I'm certainly not going to sell all my brand XYZ items because writer D has had problems with them.

People baffle me.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Only one way I know of to be SURE.

So if writer A says they are 'crap' will that stop you from buying?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
but I get the general impression that if you recommend something, that it is probably because it has survived less than TLC for more than a season or two.

That is generally quick to change if my likes differ from another persons.

Folks enjoy hearing what they want to hear...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he was just a writer, I wouldn't have bothered to ask.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So, if he says they are crap, would that stop you from dropping $1500?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a set of 7x42 SLC's which I've owned for about 15 years maybe a bit longer and I've had zero problems with them. The SLC range is hugely popular with stalkers and birdwatchers here in the UK and has a good solid reputation.

Although perhaps not as wet as Alaska, Wales and Scotland are certainly wet enough to be hell on optics especially when you couple that with our year round stalking season ie high usage..

Like any product they can fail, but those failures seem few and far between.

I know of one that fogged first one barrel, then a few weeks after the repair, the other barrel fogged. However I should add that the bino's had been subjected to a pretty brutal fall in the weeks prior to the first failure. A few weeks ago I dropped my SLC's 15 foot out of a highseat, but touch wood they have been ok up to now...

Last edited by Pete E; 09/08/08.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Besides, it seems the question is based in bagging 'E' than it is in honest consumer research.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
E,

In all honesty you're the only one in the free world that pimps and promotes this story!

If I was hearing it from other sources, seeing it first hand and such I'd put some stock in it.

If the rest of the outfitters were talking this as well, I'd take some notice.

But, I've never seen it, I've never heard it and Phil is the one and only source I've ever heard it from and that has only been thru what you've repeated about something that you read once upon a time.

I'm not saying that Phil is wrong, it could well be he had a string of bad ones, I wasn't there so I can't really say what the story was/is.

His experiences are directly opposite of every one else going and that is kind of interesting. I'm not saying he's wrong, and while I've never met him I do have as much respect for him that I ever do for someone I've not met. I am saying that his experiences with is very different from the rest of ours.

Lastly, if it had happened to you I could see you talking about it, but you always bringing up what JB said about what PS said is a big ridiculous to say the least........

Dober

I have to agree with this post 100%...

E, love ya man, but give the third-hand regurgitation a rest. Please.

I've carried SLC's over hill and dale, from 100+ F to -20F, rain, snow, sleet. Never an issue.

Looked on the backseat of my work partners truck this am, and there lay a pair of 10x42 SLC's... he was out all weekend in the rain elk hunting. Has had them forever. Ditto his hunting partner. He relayed that his partners dog and chewed-up his last pair of SLC's... he sent them back to Swaro with a full explanation of what had happened and asked for a repair quote... instead, they sen him a NEW PAIR FOR FREE...

There's good reason why Swaro has such loyal customers...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he says he seen many crap out, yes....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, from people I actually know, the customer service has been first rate.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If he says he seen many crap out, yes....

So, if 20 people on here tell you they are fine and you believe us (as previously stated about me), and you believe we don't give them TLC and they all work, that means nothing? Another person's opinion (another person you don't know) says they are crap, you won't purchase them?

Sound research.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,615
Posts18,511,779
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.