Hop To
#2424749 09/09/08
W
wsmnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
This was a new experinece for my reloading career. At the range this morning with my son's Model 70, 270 wsm. We have fired several hundred rounds through this rifle with no trouble. Federal 215m large rifle magnum primer. I couldn't believe it that all I heard was a click. I even tried to pull the trigger again! I ejected it gently, looked at the normal dent in the primer and tossed it in the range DUD receptacle.
I do my priming with clean hands and in a clean environment.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dud

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wsmnut,

I had that problem once. I gave it to a friend who put it on his shelf for display. It was a .30-378 Weatherby.

I called Sierra and asked if they had heard of it. He told me he had one and put it up on the shelf. About fifteen minutes later it fired. The fellow to whom I gave the shell called to tell me it went off while sittingon his shelf.

If I have anymome, I will make sure it is horizontal so the primer can blow out of the case.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I taught a friend to reload this past spring; the very first shot of his first batch of reloads, click - dud! That was a Remington 9 1/2 primer, all the other primers in his test batch fired. I also bought a brick of the Remington 9 1/2 from the same lot, so far I have used 50 and all have fired. Who knows?

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a random dud. I hadn't had one for thousands of rounds and then this summer, "click". It was on a cast boolit .260 Remington round and I figured I might have missed charging the case. I took it home after tossing it down by the target bank for the rest of the session and pulled the boolit. Full charge of powder, just a bad primer. Look at it this way, they don't happen very often, just be glad it didn't happen on a hunt! smile
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

W
wsmnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks folks.
Selmer, that was precisely the thought I had!

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have reloaded thousands of rounds over the years and have had a few where the primer failed to detonate. When this has happened, I have always dismantled the round and then loaded that primer in a round for my Model 98 7x57. I can only remember one that did not fire when this was done! This leads me to wonder if most of the trouble with faulty primers is not caused by weak and/or dirty firing-pins. When this has happened with my own rifles, I have taken the bolt apart and cleaned things up, and, as far as I can remember, this seemed to take care of the problem.

IMHO, there are a lot more weak and/or gummy firing-pins out there than there are defective primers!

M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have had a fair amount of Federal primers that have been dudes lately...I say a fair amount, because you hardly ever seen them...

but I'll bet out of the last box of 1000 Fed 210 primers I had a dozen or more duds in it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.