-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking for new boots, uninsulated, waterproof, <$200, preferably leather so I can wear them at work also.

My problem is that I over-pronate and am recovering from an ankle injury (achilles tendonitis) because of it. I need a lot of arch / ankle support. I have inserts, but they're a pain to deal with, especially for a lot of up-downhill walking.

I've been looking at some Danners...Frontier, Sharptail, Pronghorn. Some of the reviews at Cabela's noted that the Frontiers didn't have very good arch support. I called Danner and the lady said that they should be all the same...???

Any suggestions, I'm sure you guys can help.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would suggest some type of hiking boot. I have had good luck with Asolo's, and Vasque in the past. I currently have a pair of Lowa Banff's that offer a lot of arch support.

Last edited by JMR40; 09/07/08. Reason: spelling

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Do yourself a huge favor and have custom orthodics made. I have the same problem you do, I havd a set of orthodics mande and I ahve absolutely no more problems.

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto what Miller said. Get the custom ortho's made and remember, all custom ortho's are not made equal either. So do your homework and your feet will thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a script from my doctor last week for some custom orthos. For you guys that have used them...

With well made custom orthos, will the amount of arch support in the boot really be a factor to consider?

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Blue: I have the same problem and 3 sets of orthotics and the answer is "no." Take the orthotics with you to get boots that fit well with the orthos, and you're done.

Before I got the ortho's, I used to wear out the instep on my boot soles; now it's the opposite.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, at least this has reassured me that I'm not the only one with freakish foot problems, and it seems that it will get better.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Whites boots. GREAT arch support. Wear forever. More money than you want to spend but in the long run will be the least expensive boot you ever owned.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've been fighting the same issue (excess pronation) for years & have tried all sorts of boots. I tried a pair of the Whites Smokejumpers but ended up returning them (a shame because the quality was outstanding & I really wanted them to work for me). There is arch support built into the boot, but not enough to fully take care of my pronation issue. And with the Whites boot there isn't enough room inside them to be able to slip in an orthotic. - - I had my feet measured at the factory several times, and Whites would have been willing to try to build in more arch. But after seeing a couple different podiatrists I've learned that there is more to it than just the height of the arch. - - I've also found that the volume of the boot and toe box is important. Everyone is different & what might work for me may not work for you. (I need a boot with more volume and a generous toe box too.) Ive ordered a pair of Hanwag boots and will get some custom orthotics made. Expensive, - - but I've spent tons of money on boots in the past which tore up my feet & would have spent less if I just went this route to begin with. (Live & Learn !)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Whites farmer=rancher has alot more arch than the smokejumper. I don't know about volume for orthotics.
Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up some Danner Frontiers. They seem to have a lot of ankle support and room for an orthotic. I'm wearing them for a few days and the salesman said he'd take them back on exchange if they didn't work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,515
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.