Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Here in NY the reds are moving in and pushing out the grays so there is no protective season on the reds. My son would love to hunt them but we have a rule that you must eat what you kill and I've never tried tree rat and my wife doesn't like the idea of handling them - so they have been safe thus far.

Maybe we should give them a try...?

Any prep or recipe suggestions?

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
in a magnalite pot, brown the 3-5 cut up Squirrels in oil, once browned, take out the meat and put in 2 chopped onions, 1 chopped bell pepper and 1.5 cups chopped celery, 2 table spoons of minced garlic, brown this down, you may have to add a little more oil or water ( don't let it burn), once the veggies are sauted down add your meat back and cover with water, add some Tony's creole seasoning OR salt and pepper, also add maybe 2 table spoons roux. cook at a simmer for 2-4 hours until the meat is tender, during the last hour of cooking add, 1/3 cup chopped parsley and 3/4 cup chopped green onions - cook a pot of white rice, this makes a great Meat Rice and Gravey. cook some white beans & corn as sides, serve with a green salad.

cajun style

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Squirrel in Mushroom Sauce

Cut 1 large or 2 small squirrels in serving size pieces. Preheat oven to 350F. In cast iron skillet add 1/4" of oil. Season squirrel with salt and pepper. Roll squirrel in seasoned flour (seasoned with seasoned salt of your preference). Add 1 onion, chopped to skillet and cook until opaque. Add floured squirrel and brown on all sides. Blend 1 can of cream of mushroom soup with about 3/4 a can of milk and pour over squirrel. Leave squirrel in iron skillet and bake in oven for about an hour or until squirrel is tender and gravy is thick. Serve with mashed taters, salad and a veggie.

Sassy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
an old favorite recipe for Squirrel Stew:
Dress the squirrels
Wash throughly. Cut in to serving pieces. Place in a saucepan with 1/2 cup Cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, 1/4 cup diced onion, and some celery leaves. Cover with water, and let sit for several hours.
Drain, discard all but the squirrel, and place in a roaster pan. Drizzle a little vegetable oil on the meat, and brown in a 375F oven .
Season with salt and pepper. Add two diced onions, and two diced carrots.
Add hot water, to cover and place a lid on the roaster. Reduce heat to 325F, and cook several hours or until the meat is tender.
Mix several tablespoons of flour with some of the liquid, and add back in, stiring, until the liquid thickens.

Serve with buttermilk, fresh collards, corn bread and butter.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mssgn

Here in NY the reds are moving in and pushing out the grays so there is no protective season on the reds. My son would love to hunt them but we have a rule that you must eat what you kill and I've never tried tree rat and my wife doesn't like the idea of handling them - so they have been safe thus far.

Maybe we should give them a try...?

Any prep or recipe suggestions?
Even if there's no legal season, you should wait till the first day it gets below freezing over night. This kills off the diseased ones.

Just make sure you don't eat the brains, which can contain some serous disease even after the first freeze.

You can pretty much treat the meat like chicken.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
like chicken? Come on now. smile

Sam......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Most of all it's better to shoot them in the spring right after the young ones come out they are much more tender

[Linked Image]
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the tips smile

Any other suggestions are welcome.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quick and easy skinnin' video

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Age of the squirrel has a lot to do with how it should be cooked. A young, half-grown Fox squirrel (about the size of a full-grown Cat squirrel) can be just rolled in flour and fried like chicken.....it's pleanty tender as it is. An older squirrel needs a slower cooking and the methods already mentioned are great. Of course there is nothing wrong with using a tender young squirrel in a stew either.....just not nessisary!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One suggestion.......although I love rice (just live too near Lousy-anna I guess), try pouring the squirrel and gravy over cut open buttermilk buisquets......Mmmmmmmm!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And don't forget Brunswick Stew, as a way to use fresh squirrels.

Two onions, sliced
two tablespoons bacon fat or fresh lard
One pound of fresh squirrel, cut into serving pieces
One pound of fresh rabbit, cut in to serving pieces
One pound of fresh quail (or chicken), cut into serving pieces
salt and pepper to taste
three cups water
three tomatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup Sherry wine
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
one pound fresh lima beans
1/2 cup sliced okra
Two cups fresh corn kernels
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup stale bread crumbs

In a cast iron Dutch overn, brown the onion in the bacon fat, and add the squirrel, rabbit and quail. Season to taste.
When the meat is tender, pour off the excess fat, and add the water
Add the tomatoes, Sherry wine and worcestershire sauce. Cover, and cook over low heat for 12 hour.
Add the lima beans, okra and corn. Simmer another hour, and add the butter and bread crumbs. Cook another 1/2 hour.

Sam......

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Squirrel and Dumplings, mmmmmmmm good!

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Now you guys are making me hungry! smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (2UP, 44mc, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.