Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
My client has shot his elephant early in his hunt, and we went back to Windhoek for some plains game hunting. He took a few PG animals, and was ready to fly home. His last morning in camp started like most last mornings in camp, but this time, there was a slight twist�

On the way to the airport, my cook told me that she saw a cheetah next to the road. I reversed, tried to see something, but could not see anything. Then my client alerted me to a leopard that ran across the road about 150 yards in front of us. Thinking that it may have been this leopard that my cook saw (remember, in Afrikaans they call a leopard a tier (tiger), and a cheetah a jagluiperd, (literally a hunting leopard)), I got out of the car to go and look for tracks (without a gun, first mistake). We found a young female leopard lying under a nearby (25 yards) bush, about 60 yards from the car. My client took this picture, and we decided to retreat. One of my trackers, moved about 10 yards to the left, presumably to get a better view. I called him back, telling him that the cat will feel cornered, and that we should really get the hell out of there. He sneaked another look, and I called him again. When he started to move back, the cat charged, and about every one ran for the vehicles. I thought that if I stood my ground, the cat would maybe turn. I reckoned that if I turned and ran as well, that the cat will catch one or more of us before we reach the vehicle. In these split seconds, it is amazing how much time I seem to have had to think! My next thought was to bend down and try and pick up some of the bigger rocks lying around, to maybe throw it at the cat, but my head told me that it will be a bad idea to loose eye contact with the oncoming cat. When she came at me, I kicked her, and with this, she got a hold of my leg with her front claws, and bit me where my buttocks and my leg come together. I went down on her, struggling to wrestle her into a pin down position. Luckily for me, her left back leg was pinned underneath her body when I took her down. I grabbed hold of her right rear leg, and received a few nice scratches for my trouble. I pinned her neck with my left fore-arm, and grabbed first one front leg and then the other with my left hand. I leaned all of my weight into her neck area, trying to suffocate her. This pissed her off tremendously, and made me glad that I had a weight advantage! One of my trackers shouted �Het die baas hom gevang?� (Did you catch it?) from the vehicle, to which I replied something like �Yes, F#@K, come and help me!!!� When 2 of them came to help me, the cat was luckily already dying, but to make sure, I asked one to keep the head down for me, and we ran a knife into the heart of the cat. I got up, virtually in one piece, (I had 27 scratch and bite marks in a fight that lasted less than 1 second), and sighed a big sigh of relief. Luckily the client was a doctor, and he could patch me up out of my emergency kit. I went for tetanus and rabies shots as well, and I am still swallowing my antibiotics.

A few lessons were learned:
1) When in dangerous game territory, carry some kind of fire-arm, in this case I think a revolver would have been adequate. (We were on the way to the airport, the clients guns was in his case; my .450 was behind the seat.)
2) Even though the cat was a small one (about the size of a big Staffordshire terrier), never underestimate them, and NEVER corner them.
3) Always have a well equipped emergency kit handy.
4) Wash all wounds with lots of water, this dilutes the amount of bacteria that stays in the wound, and gives you a better chance to not get infections.

Here is a pic of the cat just before she charged:
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy smokes, thats quite a story, glad everyone is ok.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't Bwana Charles Cotter that strangled a leopard with his bare hands some years ago? That's a pretty select fraternity to join, Karl. I have to ask: did you make a stand because you are the bravest, or slowest? I'm afraid that the trackers would have ALL easily beaten me back to the vehicle. Will you add this to your Safari brochure?

Extreme Leopard!

Are you a man's man? Do you believe that fair chase means taking DG on their own ground without weapons? Then join me has we forgo heavy calibers and hiding in blinds and take leopard the Green way - with our bare hands! Show the woman in your life that you are worthy of her love and admiration. Do it the way our ancestors did it! Back to basics (very basic). If you survive this, you can upgrade your safari to Cape buffalo Matador hunting. No Picadors, no sword, just you and the Dagga boy, one on one. I will film your heroics from the safety of my vehicle, and your final moments on earth will be captured. Your friends will marvel at your bravado and stupidity. Call now, and I'll hook you up for hippo rodeo. How long can you stay on? grin

Karl, glad yo are well. Great story!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story Karl and a great reminder NEVER to go into the bush unarmed, no matter what! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Helluva a story, glad you're ok.

IC B2

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by hatari
I have to ask: did you make a stand because you are the bravest, or slowest? I'm afraid that the trackers would have ALL easily beaten me back to the vehicle.

hatari, I used to do a 100m under 11 seconds, and even though I have gained at least 40 lbs since then, I am pretty sure I would have outrun all but one of the people there. I just figured that someone is going to get hurt if all run, so I stayed, and I was the unlucky recipient of her fury.

I love your sfari brochure "copy", sort of makes MS looks tame, but I can assure you, its not something I would reccommend!

K
OP Offline
K
I have to ask: did you make a stand because you are the bravest, or slowest? I'm afraid that the trackers would have ALL easily beaten me back to the vehicle.

hatari,
I used to do a 100m in less than 11 seconds, and even though I have gained at least 40 lbs since then, I am sure I would have beaten all but one to the car. The problem is, I figured that if we all run, someone, maybe more than one, are likely to be injured, so I stood. This made me the unlucky recipient of the cat's fury.

BTW, I love your safari advertising brocure, makes MS looks tame. I would however never try it again, and as I said to a fellow PH afterwards, (who where also with at the incident, and commeneted that its something unique to have on your resume), I would have been much happier if it did not happen. Also, I felt real pity in having to kill the cat, but there was no way that I would have released my grip on it after I had it under control!

Last edited by Karl_Stumpfe; 09/11/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude! I'm officially impressed. You would make a good Alaskan, and I mean that with all sincerity.

It just never hurts to be tough... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Karl,

100m in 11 sec probably is not in the same league as Ol' Spots. Usain Bolt needs a head start. I understand your pity for the cat, but your actions were essential.

Count me out on that Green cat hunting or buffalo Matador stuff. I'm obviously not man enough. I couldn't do the 100m in11 sec before tearing my hamstring years ago. Now? The leapard wins! Keep well.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Impressed here as well. I am very glad you were able to hold your own and then some.
"Did you catch it?" Classic.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad it turned out ok for you. Don't envy you on that one at all. Although, pictures of your wounds, would be nice, to satisfy, our morbid curiosity. wink

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you're okay

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Now that's what real tales are made of......good job Bud! You now have some sure enough food for future campfire talks with clients and friends. Welcome to the Campfire Karl....I'm kinda new myself.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great story. If a friend of a friend of a friend had told that one on you nobody would have believed it. Coming straight from the horses mouth means a lot. I am glad you are safe!

K
OP Offline
K
I did not take photos of the dead cat, but here is a pic of a simmelar size one that I shot last year, (I am sitting about 1 yard behind it.) Some wounds are on "strategic" places on my body, so I will have to only show the one hand, the deepest gashes where on the inside of my hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Helluva deal! I tip my hat to you for your quick thinking and presence of mind, not to mention your athleticism.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Karl, I think it's safe to say that yep, you mauled that leopard! grin

Good job staying alive.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah heck, that ain't nothing a bandaid won't fix ;o) I wrestled a small cougar a couple of years ago. I simply cannot believe the power they have. It was all I could do to keep a hold of it. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flinch,

Greco-roman or Freestyle??? Seriously, let's her your cat wrestling story!!!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 257Bob, 12344mag, 22250rem, 59 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.