-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think my threshold is any higher,different maybe.I can tell a difference in my pre-64's in .338 and .375 from the bench,but from shooting sticks,fence post or hind feet,not really,but let's maybe add the 9.3x64,that some gentlemen have thrown in, to the math against the Ruger..really any difference? I do not own the Ruger I shot last week and they were handloads the shooter had at the range.Simple load of 270 grains running 2400fps.My CZ was pushing the same.I just didn't feel any difference.I learned years ago not to let a rifle hurt me twice..........What can I say,I'm an outcast.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by rifle
I do not own the Ruger I shot last week and they were handloads the shooter had at the range.Simple load of 270 grains running 2400fps.My CZ was pushing the same.I just didn't feel any difference.

Well, there's the explanation.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
OK you guys have had your fight now its my turn....:) smile smile

CMG,
I know the demensions of the 9.3 and 375 and thanks for the pictures but in a stopping caliber I personally put a good deal of importance on cross section of bullet and I respectfully disagree with your analysis that it makes no difference..If you think about it the difference in a 505 and a 375 or whatever is very little to look at, but in the field and on big bad black bulls coming your way I will stay with the cross section of bullet as one of the best options to get the job done....

Not saying who is right or wrong but simply stating my opinnion..

Lets keep it civil as it really doesn't make a s--t one way or the other on these discussions IMO. smile smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello Ray,

before I go on, I put my faceguard up. My name is Carl. I am pleased to meet you.

Of course you are right in your analysis, that bigger cross section rules in a stopping rifle.

All I mend to illustrate with the little picture is the difference 9,3 to .375 in cross section as I feel thats pretty much same class or ball park.

Now, .510 and .375 is something different.

I never had big black bulls come my way. I have, however, enough background to conclude - crossection & sufficient weight of a properly constructed bullet at sufficient velocity and, paramount, good shotplacement will sort anything out - big and black, brown and growly, fast and yellow, spotted air or tusks and trunks.

If ever you thing me smart alecky - that may be age-related. Maybe I am to young still. It may also be language related. My english is not mothertrained.

Which ever way, malice or disrespect is not my intend.

All the best,

Last edited by cmg; 01/09/09. Reason: spelling checked.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my experience stopping power comes from first - bullet placement and second- bullet performance and bullet performance is related to it's Toughness, Sectional Density and Diameter,( basically in that order) and finally impact velocity/energy ( if you shoot them hard off the muzzle then that is muzzle energy but otherwise it is energy at the distance where they are shot.

Argueing over the 9.3 and 375 is even sillier than the old 270 vrs 30-06 argument.The bore diameter of the .375 is .366 and if anyone thinks the difference of .009" makes any recognizable difference in performance on game I have some rifles to sell them.
Even Kenya recognized that when they required the 375 for dangerous game - unless you were already using the 9.3.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
458WM,

you have no way of knowing, but mentioning the .270 vs .30-06 debate was my (unsuccessfull)try to avoid being drawn into this debate.

Thank you for your "principle component analysis" on the stopping power ingredients.

I have a 9,3x64 set up quite like "Old Ugly".

Glad for the opportunity to discuss things here and hope to meet you maybe sometime.

Last edited by cmg; 01/09/09. Reason: spelling checked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cmg, I have always thought a M-95 in 9.3x62 would make a pretty fair, very fast operating, DG rifle.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
458Win...I appreciate your comments and respect your background.I have enjoyed your 'been there,done that'stories.I think a teacher to us all.
My comments were not to argue this and that,but simply state that 'my first contact' with the new Ruger was even with my 9.3
and asked for thoughts on a comparision from others...
Where the personal attacks came from,surprises me,but it seems to be the growing nature of the Internet.Some of the things said on this board,I believe would start a hell of bloody bar brawl.
To cmg,I hope your comment was not aimed at my mother.I am proud of her background and heritage,God rest her soul...
To the original poster,my apologies for my part in putting a bend in the river.....rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
458Win,

I agree. Sweet project-if one had time. Occasionally I have hunters tote one in 8x56R around.

Rifle, no. Though, I do not even know which comment you mean. Basically just bashed myself.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I appreciate the above posts and I know the subject is argueable or so it seems, however I do believe there is a difference in the way the 375 kills as compared to the 9.3x62, at least on buffalo or elephant, as well as I believe the .416 kills better than the 375 on these animals..

Granted I base this on my own personal experience and that may be flawed by circumstance, such as better shot placement with the .375 for instance or a number of other things. But we each fly by the seat of our pants when it comes to stopping rifles or rifles in general for that matter..My head is made up, I will not deter, I am old and sot in my ways. smile smile but I appreciate the good conversation and the quality of expertise that is posting on the subject.

I do respect each of the posts and at no point considered it more than intelligent conversation between gentlemen. That is the way these posts should always be conducted.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ray,
You are entirely correct. My mind is made up about the round-has been for years. Like you I can pick the one I want today. I like the low recoil and penetration. I can shoot a Lott or 450 Dakota or a Rigby but why do I need to unless I'm after buff or elephant(and that ain't happenin'). I like the 375 H&H and have several but just prefer the 9.3. I'm really not into pain and like blonds. Some guys like to be beat up and like redheads. All in your preferences.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ray, I should have known that when I said I had a rifle to sell to anyone who believed that the difference in diameter of only the rifling would make a difference in stopping power that you would call me on it - if only to see what the rifle was. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rifle,

I did not mean to make it personal.

I recently had some difficulty with a couple of other posters and it made me prickly. Consequently your first post (to me) sounded like you have a battle-hardened shoulder and above-average knowledge of how to shoot a hard-kicking rifle. I reacted to that, and shouldn't have. Usually I am much more even mannered.

It turns out that you weren't even really firing a "true" .375 Ruger, but one loaded down to under .375 H&H levels. Fair enough. I wish you had said that earlier.

At any rate, I have been a little out of sorts since my run-in with two serious troublemakers a few days ago on another forum. I apologize for offending you. You were just reporting your experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer, accepted and understood....I was misinformed as well about the loads I shot,which led me to believe what I said.When I called the shooting buddy to ask for a re-shoot this week,I'm bringing some store bought....
Sorry 'bout them other posters

..Keyboard Kowboys seem to be everywhere these days....

Come on America,

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks.

You'll be able to feel those factory loads, especially if they are 300's. One thing I decided about my .375 Ruger (the African model) was that for African hunting (where I'm dressed in a thin shirt) it would need more recoil pad!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

You'll be able to feel those factory loads, especially if they are 300's.

Indeed you will.
I've been shooting some heavy stuff lately and wondered why my usual sore shoulder wasn't there. Today I looked and the recoil pad is "Pachmayr White Line" put on by the previous owner. It is an amazing pad. Very Soft. Best I ever used.
FYI

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
GOOD to know! That's what's on the Fajen stock of the custom 1924 Yugoslavian Mauser I bought yrs ago. It was a .25-06 w/26" bbl but it's on its way back from Clearwater Reboring as a 9.3x62mm w/a 20"bbl.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Phil,
I thought about it and decided it would be out of character for me not to gig you at least once this year and thought I'd just go ahead and get it over with..I supppose the only disagreement you and I have ever had was over that certain bullet, and that ain't never gonna change! smile smile smile smile even if your right! smile what would we have to discuss over a campfire if that ever happened. BTW, those Hornady DG bullets are the berrys, they really work, both solids and softs.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
..... I'm really not into pain and like blonds. Some guys like to be beat up and like redheads. All in your preferences.[/quote] .....I know, I know, but even knowing it's killing you, you can love the trip along the way! One of the proudest accomplishment of my life is that I've survived three red headed girl friends. My 338 Win Mag lightweight rifle is a pussycat next to those gals, who were more just plain p---y... (I sure hope this is an adult forum)..

Last edited by olhippie; 01/11/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ray, I was afraid those Hornady bullets were going to be so good that we wouldn't have anything to argue about. I plan on using them a lot this next season. Some of them in a Jeffery 450/400. Maybe I'll decide doubles are great and you can take the side of bolt rifles and we can still have our tiffs. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.