-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm thinking about getting a solo tent and getting rid of my bivy b/c of condesation issues with my down bags. I have noticed a trend where tents that would fit a 6'5" guy are not plentiful smile

Is anyone in the same boat? What would you recomend.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm only 6', but I've played with alot of tents. I think the one you're looking for is a Hilleberg Akto. This is a double wall single man tent, that I believe will take care of someone your height. I've been trying to make single wall tents my focus, though, and of the choices, I've run into several that you should avoid, including the Black Diamond Firstlight, the Integral Designs MK1, and the Rab Summit Extreme, as these are pushing it for a six-footer. I don't hear much about the Mountain Hardware EV2, but I've got one, and it's LONG and narrow. I've yet to have condensation issues with it, but have heard some reports of this with all the single walled tents. Ventillation is KEY for these types. Of course there are any number of tarp-tent models from Henry Shires, they are light as heck, for instance the contrail. I just like something more substantial. Oh, and don't forget the Hammocks and then there is the Kifaru paratarp/paratipi........Lots of choices!
Don

Last edited by docdb; 09/02/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One other thing, if you are used to bivy camping, but condensation puts you off, you might give the eVent bivys from Integral Designs a try. They breathe like no other and are a significant improvement over goretex!
Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 6'4", and the Hilleberg Akto fits me fine lengthwise. It's a little short on height (head brushes the inner lining when sitting up), but it's very workable, and you're not going to find a better brand. The Hilleberg Unna is taller, but lacks the HUGE vestibule the Akto has. The headroom would be nice, but I wouldn't switch.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys, I know the Hillbergs are spendy but you do get what you pay for. I'll check it out.

IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
FYI, Akto's are out of stock at Hilleberg USA until October for the green ones and November for the red ones.

Charlie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kifaru paratipi for a man of your stature is another good option. Its alittle bigger than the other's guess it depends on how much room you really want or need. Just my opinion but being tent bound due to weather in one of the cacoon style tents drives me nuts in a hurry . The para tipi affords me a little wiggle room and the ability to sit/kneel and stretch. YMMV depending on what you are really looking for .

PS I dig the stove thing too.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 6' and have room for my day pack and boots in my Integral Designs Mega Sola.....no problems at all for length...

Actually pondering selling it to buy something a bit different...if you wanted to go that route it is in as-new condition....

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Might want to check out the Kifaru Super Tarp. Tons of room in there while being light (16 oz) and offering many pitching options and good ventilation to prevent condensation. - -

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.