-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A friend has a rifle i believe to be a Weatherby. The only markings on the barrel is a stamped oval with a R and a W. The same stamp is on the action and the only other markings on the action is Winchester with the serial number 184179. It sits in a nicely figured stock that also appears to be a Weatherby and has the diamond on the pistol grip cap like the Mark Vs.

Local 344 Retired

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
-Thomas Jefferson-
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Model 70 Winchester, with a aftermarket stock?

Just because the stock is a "calafornia modern" style, dosn't make it a weatherby

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Just because the stock is a "calafornia modern" style, dosn't make it a weatherby]

Exactly.

The year before last, I restocked a rebarreled 7x57 Argentine M-1909 Mauser with the rollover cheeckpiece stock off an older H&R M-300 - that was virtually a "drop-in".

Your friend's rifle has most likely been "custom assembled", too.

Have either of you taken the barreled action out of the stock & inspected the barrel further?

I once bought what I thought was a nice .222 Sako L-46, until I dismounted it and found "Remington" on the bottom of the barrel, from where someone had replaced the Sako barrel with one from a Remmy, installing it upside-down so the Remmy inscription would be hidden inside the stock inletting.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by skamaniac
The only markings on the barrel is a stamped oval with a R and a W. The same stamp is on the action and the only other markings on the action is Winchester with the serial number 184179.

The oval is likely the Winchester proof mark. The letters are a superimposed P and W.

--Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Before reaching a conclusion as to what it really is you may want to do some checking on Weatherby history, I seem to remember reading that some early Weatherbys were built on Winchester actions. I know for a fact that some were built on FN actions because I owned one once.

The way I remember it is that when Weatherby was first starting he was building his rifles on Winchester actions because they were common and inexpensive at that time, he later made a deal with FN and used their actions for a while.

You may want to "google" Weatherby collectors and find a board that specializes in them and pose your question, and perhaps a picture, there.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The serial number comes up as a Winchester Model 70 1951 mfg.

http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
Before reaching a conclusion as to what it really is you may want to do some checking on Weatherby history, I seem to remember reading that some early Weatherbys were built on Winchester actions. I know for a fact that some were built on FN actions because I owned one once.

The way I remember it is that when Weatherby was first starting he was building his rifles on Winchester actions because they were common and inexpensive at that time, he later made a deal with FN and used their actions for a while.

You may want to "google" Weatherby collectors and find a board that specializes in them and pose your question, and perhaps a picture, there.

Before Roy made the FN deal he used whatever action was available (or provided by the customer) for building rifles.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, the proof marks are identified as Winchester. The question is why the barrel has only proof marks and no other markings regarding model or caliber.

Local 344 Retired

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
-Thomas Jefferson-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,792
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.