-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Relieved to hear you and your partner are OK. Too bad for the bear. He is a gorgeous critter though.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool pics, I know that a lot of folks Monday morning quarterback these kinds of events but you did what you did so that you could be alive today and telling us about it. When I shot that buck on Kodiak last year and that brownie came out of the alders at full tilt 200 yards out and coming hard in my direction well....lets just say it all happens real fast. Its way less than a minute and the longest few seconds were of me and my pard with our crosshairs on that bear standing up at 60 yards as he attempted to wind that deer, I would have killed that bear with no reservations if he had kept coming, thankfully the bear did good by us. We all do what we can when in the wild to make smart decisions and overcome tough challenges, but when faced with a fight for your own life against wild animals those decisions are to be evaluated after the threat is over. You dun good as far as I am concerned and glad it all worked out in your favor, sucks on the goat tag but I feel your pain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
May have to change your handle to Bear"stalkee"...grin.

Glad you're OK - that could have been a lot worse - can't help but think about him showing up with different timing, catching you too far from your rifle, slipping in more quietly - lots of ways this could have gone down which might have had us reading your obituary instead of your story.

Thanks to the good Lord for looking out for you.

DJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With your photos, and being well written, have you thought of sending it to Field & Stream, Peterson's "Hunting", Outdoor Life (would make a great "this happened to me, story", ect? Might make up for the tags & trip costs

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love my bear fence. Won't leave home without it. It saved our tators last year.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad everything worked out for you and your partner, regarding the bear.

Art, Can you clarify the new rule regarding DLP and the auction? I didnt know there was a fall out after Gene tried to buy his bear back.

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you didn't get chewed on.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joel
Drop by F&G and talk to the guy at the front desk, Jim Holmes. The rules always said you could not keep or acquire a hide if you shot it in DLP. When Gene bought his and the story got around they were stuck in a hard spot... like the back bidder... wink and they did not go after him and some are not happy about that.

I believe the auction rules were the biggest change. Not all DLP bears end up at auction...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad all is ok!! Thats the main thing, you can live with the rest, and there will be more goat tags!

At least one can't question this one like I read about the guy that killed a brownie charging him, he dropped him at like 210 yards out.....

Good job!

Now as bad as I want a sitka buck off the island, I gotta keep the wife from reading this and keep the bear fence in my mind... Heck I'm working on trying to figure out a "bear fence" to set up on my trailer for leaving teh 4 wheelers when we are in a motel sometimes....

Jeff

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Always said that every goat hunt I've been on has taken a year off my life. I'm thinking you agree Matt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Matt,

Sorry about the hunt. Better times ahead are bound to come.

Nice skinning job!

best,
bhtr

ps. Welcome to the brotherhood

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Scott,

I couldn't agree more.

Forgot to add, other bears were spotted from the air feeding in the rivers and the such. Also, I saw more goats from the air that I can remember counting. They were everywhere!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad everything turned out ok for you Matt. Getting knocked down a notch on the food chain ain't a good thing.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Glad you and your buddy are safe and thanks for the story and pics.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Nice work. Go's to show you all that time and money you put into your guns is well worth it. I just wish I could of been there. You must of been high for hours. Sorry you didn't get to go after a goat. Your mom must of kinda freaked out when you told her, and how come your hunting partner didn't shoot.

Eating meat and wearing fur. it's a good thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reading your story I had flashbacks of my own experience with a determined grizz. You did the right thing and should feel no guilt about what happened. Glad you guys are safe and can hunt another day.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good story...I'm glad everything turned out well.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It is illegal to bid on a bear you shot in DLP... Anyone else can, though. After the infamous GM bear with a Buck knife they clarified that rule.

Art, please clarify for me. GM? and story behind it. When did this happen? Maybe 20 years ago a friend DLPed the second oldest bear on record in Alaska (29 - the oldest IIRC is 33) - I helped salvage and pack it out over memorial Day weekend. He was able to obtain i at auction at that time.

I was not aware that the rule had been changed. It cost my friend $700 to obtain his Kill- a legitimate DLP.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad everything worked out OK.

The first goat hunt I did on kodiak, we were packing down a goat when a sow and two cubs split the sides of the valley we were in and passed within 40 yards on each side of us. I thought for sure we were a goner smelling like dead goat between a sow and cubs. That was the year I ordered the 358STA for Kodiak hunting.

In five years on Kodiak I lost one goat, one deer, and two caribou to bear.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It is illegal to bid on a bear you shot in DLP... Anyone else can, though. After the infamous GM bear with a Buck knife they clarified that rule.

Art, please clarify for me. GM? and story behind it. When did this happen? Maybe 20 years ago a friend DLPed the second oldest bear on record in Alaska (29 - the oldest IIRC is 33) - I helped salvage and pack it out over memorial Day weekend. He was able to obtain i at auction at that time.

I was not aware that the rule had been changed. It cost my friend $700 to obtain his Kill- a legitimate DLP.

I think Art is on Kodiak right now, but believe he was talking about the Gene Moe knife/bear fight... Wasn't too long ago.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 36 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.