Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2388067 08/23/08
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
An article in the paper (dallasnews.com) caught my eye.
Labs were the number 3 in biting people.
I was surprised because every hunting dog I've met has been
a love dog. I mean a pet me till I cry baby.

Have any of you had different experiences? Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Golden reterivers are the breed least likely to bite.

My guess would be that most of the labs that bite are not hunting dogs but pets from poor breeding lines that haven't seen a duck in several generations.

However, I had a friend who owned hunting labs and his line was the quickest to fight other dogs I've ever seen. (It's all in the breeding)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
V
Van Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
You have to remember how many labs there are compaired to other breads, it is a numbers game. I respectfully disagree that it is in the breeding. I believe it hole hartedly falls on the person that raised the dog.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Temperment problems can stem from breeding and the way the dog was raised.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Temperment problems can stem from breeding and the way the dog was raised.

W4B, you just mentioned the classic "heredity versus environment" argument - but with different words.

And I agree with you.

I call Labrador's - 'ford dogs.' They're incredibly easy to train and predict when they come from reputible stock and properly handled/cared-for/trained.

Labs love to please their people and one has to 'work at' creating a failed [hunting] Labrador!

But as for biting, I'd also question if the bites reported are a reflexion on the total number of Labradors in the country.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most hunting dogs raised right can be trusted.

However I've been around a few old school Chesapeake Bay retrievers that will tear into you just for looking at them wrong. Don't even think about sticking or laying your hand on their owner or his property.

With any dog, I try to read their body language before deciding to trust them. Like people a dog earns my trust.

Battue

Addition:
Dogs probably read us better than we do them. I used to have occassion to be around a guy who had need of a top of the line "protection" dog. In a social setting the dog would go around and smell each individual. For whatever reason those he didn't trust would not be able to get next to his owner. He would place himself between them. Kind of cool to watch that dog "work".

I always felt good that he gave me the once over then essentially ignored me. He would always watch me, but if I put my hand down he would let me pet him. Most others he would just stand off and watch.

Last edited by battue; 08/25/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Labs are the number one breed in the country right now so that kind of throws that little bit of info out of the window, if this is true it is only because there are more labs than other breeds surveyed

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 1,984 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.