Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Friday evening I asked for and rec�d permission to hunt a local pond that the geese have been frequenting. Sunrise Sunday we snuck up on the pond until about 20 of them saw us and went airborne. I knocked one down with the single shot 12 and it glided down on the far side of the long pond. So we sat down to enjoy a celebratory cup of hot chocolate before starting the hike. A couple geese landed close to my dead one (about 120 yards from us). When we stood up, they took off � and so did my dead one! Lol

We headed home for church and a soccer game, but 20 minutes before sunset we were back and did the same routine. This time I had the old side by side and let go with both barrels when the wings started flapping. I must have been excited because I pulled both triggers together. 3 birds fell. No blind. No dog. No boat. So I went for a chilly swim. The water and the air were each about 50 degrees! But we collected my first geese.

[Linked Image]

God is good

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome, still waiting on mine. Life keeps getting in the way and then there is the start of bow season etc....

Me

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It was a great day. One of the few when my 11 year old and I actually collected game together. but God willing, we'll do a lot more of it as he will be old enough to hunt in NY next year smile

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
M
M
Just a warning, you are dabbling in a VERY dangerous and addictive drug...Get someone to take you out over decoys, and we'll see you in "treatment" with the rest of us....

GREAT JOB!!!!

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If goose proves edible, by next year I'll need a BOAT!

IC B2

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mtgreenheads
Just a warning, you are dabbling in a VERY dangerous and addictive drug...Get someone to take you out over decoys, and we'll see you in "treatment" with the rest of us....

GREAT JOB!!!!

I'm HOOKED. I read a hunting mag and DREAMPT of goose hunting last night! Oh man. lol. Ok where do I go to LEARN a better way to do this than ambushing birds on foot?

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
well as I posted last season - I'm hooked. Bought a canoe and introduced my son to it. He's 12 and his first opportunity to tke game in NY was this past weekend - the opening weekend for NYs early goose season.

Saturday morning we dressed in full camo and went out predawn. We scared some birds away from the near shore of a large pond. We set some decoys and did a little calling trying to get then to come back when the sun came up, but they were not interested. We eventually tried to work around the pond (+/- � mile walk) to get closer to them. We got within about 50 yards when they went up. We tried a couple of shots, but no real surprise that they were without result. Still, my son had taken his first shot at game. I called the day a success.

Saturday evening they came back � after legal shooting time.
Sunday morning we attempted the same ambush on the near shore but, they busted us before we were within range.

Sunday night we checked two ponds. There were no geese on either at the close of legal shooting time.

Monday morning we set up to ambush at dawn on the 2nd pond. There were no geese there when the sun came up.

We proceeded back to the first pond, but since we had been harassing the flock for two days and the sun was already up � i.e. we were visible they busted us at +/- 200 yards and took off for parts unknown (again).

Last night � the owner of the smaller pond called us to come get them as there were geese landing at just about legal sundown. That gave us 30 minutes of legal shooting time. So we piled in the car just as we were � no boots, no camo. I was in jeans and a T shirt, my son in shorts, shirt and sandals! We parked 200 yards from the water�s edge and cut through a wooded area. Then S-L-O-W sneaked the last 75 yards to almost the water�s edge. That put the geese at about 40 yards. My son dropped the sentry bird that was standing up on a small island and looking around with a single shot from the 12 gauge.

It�s his first goose and his first game. Gentlemen, we have another hunter in the ranks

By the time we used the canoe to retrieve the goose and get back home for photos it was full dark. The plan is for roast goose on Friday night�.

[img]http://www.vikingpreparedness.com/forum/download/file.php?id=95[/img]

(can anyone walk me through how to upload the image directly?)

Last edited by Mssgn; 09/08/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,477
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.