Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JRaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thought I'd post this here, rather than the Knives Forum, since it's a little broader in scope.

I bought a Benchmade High Country Hunter NRA model from Sierra Trading Post, and low and behold, it's not even marked as Benchmade. Oh sure, the box has one small word in fine print. But the blade is marked "Hinderer Knives." Anyone know the deal? Is Hinderer any good? I'm not real fond of the handle design but the blade and D2 steel was attractive.

"Benchmade" at STP

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am betting its not a genuine "Benchmade" nor is it a genuine "High Country Knife"...the trading name of the company making this knife is "Benchmade High Country" and given its RRP of $100 and its actual price of $65, I am guessing its Chinese made, and they are cashing in by using a similar sounding name...I also bet Benchmade's butterfly logo is not present on the blade either???

Last edited by Pete E; 09/16/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That knife looked awfully familiar so I did a little searching..

It very much reminds be of the Gerber Freeman fixed blade

[Linked Image]

While looking I also found that Hinder has designed knives for Gerber too...

JRaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pete, no there's no butterfly on the blade...first thing I noticed. It was $50 when I bought it, but now second-guessing my decision.

I was really hoping to find a all-around BIG game (ie not just deer) knife for $100 or less, with a nice rounded skinning blade. But maybe it's impossible to get around paying $200 and waiting for a Dozier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JRaw
I was really hoping to find a all-around BIG game (ie not just deer) knife for $100 or less, with a nice rounded skinning blade.

[Linked Image]

Maybe a Fallkniven F1 would fill the bill? They're about $100, or just a tad over.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
JRaw

pm sent

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
An all-around knife for big game might be tough to find in a fixed blade. You might want to consider a big two-blade, folding trapper. Though no longer in production, the Camillus Double Lock Back Trapper should work. (You can still find them, if you look hard enough.)

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I kinda like that knife....Source??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an F1 which I use primarily for deer stalking...Do not get the leather sheath though...first time I but the knife back into the sheath, the blade sliced right through it!

Did I mention they are scary sharp when the come from the factory? grin

When i bought mine, you could also get a Kydex (sp?) sheath and that is what I ended up buying..

Edited to add I just found this site which sells these really cheap compared to what we pay in the UK!

Premium Knives

Last edited by Pete E; 09/17/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRaw
Pete, no there's no butterfly on the blade...first thing I noticed. It was $50 when I bought it, but now second-guessing my decision.

I was really hoping to find a all-around BIG game (ie not just deer) knife for $100 or less, with a nice rounded skinning blade. But maybe it's impossible to get around paying $200 and waiting for a Dozier.

How does the knife feel in the hand?

Although I dislike the copycat marketing approach, as a factory knife it looks like its well worth $50...The acid test will be how well the heat treatment has been done...D2 is an excellent steel and if they've got the temper right, it should perform admirably.

As beautiful and functional as custom knives are, I haven't gone that route yet as I am sure I would loose it while hunting! While $50 is still $50, I would rather that go missing than a quality custom knife...

IC B3

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the info......May just buy one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GPA,

The only thing I would say to be careful about is the profile of the handle seems pretty "skinny" and I suspect best suits somebody with smaller hands..

To give you an idea, I've snapped the pic below with the F1 next to my SRK for comparison...

[Linked Image]

I actually like the handle shape and find it nicely proportioned, but I know some people like something a bit more chunky..

Regards,

Pete

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have small hands......just might work for me!

Thanks,
GPA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That knife is from the Benchmade NRA line, and was designed by Rick Hinderer, very much along his signature lines. Rick is a very talented maker who's been around 2 decades or more, and is currently offering probably the hottest tactical folder in the game, the XM-18. I have a Firetac and can say Rick's work is second to none.

Although I fail to see much similarity to the Gerber I would offer that Rick has done several collaborations with Gerber as well through the years, before the Freeman design hit the market.

Back to the Benchmade - I've not seen one in D2. The example I played with was the 12550 in 440C.

About the only thing I agree with on this thread is the F1 - "great" knife in both steels, though a regrind to flatten it out and lose some heft from the prybar thick blade makes it an "excellent" knife...I keep F1s in all my vehicles.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If it is not good enough to carry the Benchmade brand marking it just ain't a Benchmade to me

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a Benchmade, no doubt about that. BM has made knives for many other groups in the past including Leupold, NRA, and others.

If a group is willing to commission 800 or so production knives, BM will make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.