Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From the action and stock.

Is there an easy way to do it? The smear factor on this stuff seems pretty high.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mineral spirits.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AHHHH....I knew there had to be something. Thanks.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
You can turn a can of the keyboard air cans upside down and give it a blast. The liquid will freeze it and then you brush it off with a tooth brush. Also works well when you find a black widow in the corner of your reloading bench smile

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
You can turn a can of the keyboard air cans upside down and give it a blast. The liquid will freeze it and then you brush it off with a tooth brush. Also works well when you find a black widow in the corner of your reloading bench smile

Freezing it and the toothbrush is a neat idea!

In the future, go buy an "egg" of Silly Putty and use that instead of modeling clay. It sticks to itself and comes away totally clean! The Silly Putty lasts forever too.

John

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I'll try the silly putty next time, good idea.

This was my second bedding job, same rifle both times. The first one was with a ADL take-off for practice. I've got to say the finished product is MUCH nicer the second time around.

I took pics of each step this time and will post them when I get everything cleaned up.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use carb or brake cleaner in a spray can, but don't get it on wood. A good supply of old dental picks are invaluable. Also go to a medical suply houseanbuy a bunch of the cotton swabs on sticks. They use to be about $10/case( 1000 or so)

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/18/08.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I, too, had problems with the greasy kids' stuff until I switched to the type of modeling clay sold in art supply stores (don't recall the specific brand). I don't know what's in silly putty, but I'd be very careful to avoid anything that contains silicone. It is real hard to remove, and it plays heck with adhesives and finishes, as it prevents them from adhering.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer mineral spirits over rubbing alcohol...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul39
I, too, had problems with the greasy kids' stuff until I switched to the type of modeling clay sold in art supply stores (don't recall the specific brand). I don't know what's in silly putty, but I'd be very careful to avoid anything that contains silicone. It is real hard to remove, and it plays heck with adhesives and finishes, as it prevents them from adhering.

Paul

Good point Paul. I have not encountered any problems after using Silly Putty, but one should avoid silicones on guns if at all possible. I will try to find out what is in Silly Putty before using it again.

John

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Without starting a new thread...

What all do you oil / lubricate when you put everything back together?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like to put a couple of coats of Johnson's paste wax on the barrel and action before I drop it back in the stock.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster
I like to put a couple of coats of Johnson's paste wax on the barrel and action before I drop it back in the stock.

+2

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Craigster

+1, except I use Min Wax furniture wax which is what I use as a release agent for bedding. Brand truly doesn't matter.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do the same Bob, using paste wax as a release agent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What all do you oil / lubricate when you put everything back together?

Assuming a THOROUGH cleaning since you've got everything apart anyway, Brownell's Rust Preventive #2, blown around so it gets everywhere and excess blown off with an air hose or wiped off. Very little quality oil where moving parts pivot (needle tipped oil bottle). THIN coat of moly grease where parts move against each other with pressure, so little you can't tell it's there at a glance. RIG where metal may contact wood.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Throw it in your parts wash tank (or equivalent) for a few hours and use a paint brush on the remnants.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,132
Posts18,502,651
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.