Print Thread
Hop To
C
ccd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My parents are starting to get older and most of their neighbors are up there in age also. I am thinking of buying one for their house.Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to buy/look for in the little automated units?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would ask a good Cardiologist if you have one in the area.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll check tomorrow on the brand we have, it also comes with a practice model. I'd also check with them to ensure they want one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After my heart episode in June, I'd say that's a great idea! Make sure they each know how to use it on the other...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
And...it might spice up their sex lives!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not sure about the good in home brands. My father in law was looking into getting on for his house, but he ended up having one put in his chest due to many heart issues. Once they straightend it out it works well.

I can check what kinds they were looking at if you'd like.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
And...it might spice up their sex lives!

Dan

I know you are a sick dude because that was my first thought, too.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have the Cardiac Science pro model in our buildings at work. They�re easy to use as they have a bot voice talk you through the procedure.

http://www.aedsuperstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=233&engine=adwords!2868&keyword=%28Cardiac+Science%29&match_type=

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have one implanted in my chest. Yet I'm only in my early 30's.

Had an episode where my heart rate was high for an extended period while doing yard work and the thing went off. Talk about a jolt.

I immediately went to the ER and was checked out. There was no issue as the device went off as a precaution rather than emergency

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know much about AED's because I used manual ones when I was a Paramedic (LP 5 & 10).

I've played with a few and I've found most to be very easy to use and just shy of foolproof.

Just for giggles, I saw a few years at the Shot Show that S&W made one. I think it would be cool to have an AED made by S&W.

Seriously though, the absolute best defibrillators in my experience have been made by Physio Control. I have't been a Paramedic for over 10 years though, so that may have changed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen some people who've been saved by defibrillators. There are some LE agencies that have them in their cars in my area, their normally at the scene before EMS personnel arrive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at the Medtronic models. We have one at our sailing club. It is easy to use and basically fool proof, it will not shock unless it has determined the criteria have been met.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Physio Control is who I would recommned. The AEDs are SIMPLE to use. Once you turn the thing on it does all the work. You place the electrode gel pads on the chest and the machine gives commands. So you turn it on...place the electrodes on the chest and side and call 911. THe machine does the rest.

Is there a history of altered cardiac rythem in your parents??? If not, I would re-think putting one in the home. Some old folks are either scared to death of an AED or they think it will fix EVERYTHING related to the heart!! I agree with the other poster who advised checking with thier cardiologist before purchasing one. The safety mechanism is that the AED will not fire unless it analyzes a ventricular arrythmia that is deadly. The person operating the AED CAN NOT make it fire of their own will. THe machine must analyze then it decided if a shock is indicated.
I would also chsck into how difficult it will be to keep it serviced once it is purchased. The electrode pads have expiration dates for the conductive gel that is made into the pad. You would have to monitor exp. dates, ect. on that sorta stuff Im sure.

Should you decide to purchase one, I would want my parent FULLY inserviced on how to apply and operate the thing. Most importantly, if they feel they need to use it, a 911 call should follow IMMEDIATLY.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.americanaed.com/

From this site it looks like they run about $1,300 bucks.

Of the ones listed on this site, the Lifeline looks the easiest to use for the elderly...large buttons...ect...

Last edited by NurseKat; 09/29/08.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.