Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i've drawn a muledeer hunt for matador wma in cottle county near Paducah Texas. (didn't get drawn again for chapparel-darn, i've now have 19 peference points) has anyone hunted there/ any tips would be appreciated.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm jealous! I've hunted around there, but never been on the WMA. If there are any wheat fields I'd hunt around them. See as much country as you can.

I hate rude behavior in a man....won't tolerate it.

-Captain Woodrow F. Call
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1911a1
i've drawn a muledeer hunt for matador wma in cottle county near Paducah Texas. (didn't get drawn again for chapparel-darn, i've now have 19 peference points) has anyone hunted there/ any tips would be appreciated.

Lucky Dog wink.

I have 16 pts built up for Chapperal myself. I don't get disappointed anymore if I don't get drawn, hell I expect not to.

BTW you do know Chapparel burned to the ground earlier this year don't you?

But it should have recovered with all the rain they had this year. Supposedly they didn't lose much wildlife.

Bill

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
never hunted that WMA, but there are some GOOD deer in this area-talk to the game biologist as far as what to expect though. We have had decent rain this year to antler growth should be pretty darn good. they also grow a lot of peanuts in that area so you might keep a look out for that.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Lucky Dog wink.

I have 16 pts built up for Chapperal myself. I don't get disappointed anymore if I don't get drawn, hell I expect not to.

BTW you do know Chapparel burned to the ground earlier this year don't you?

But it should have recovered with all the rain they had this year. Supposedly they didn't lose much wildlife.

Bill

I work with a ranch on the western border of the Chapparel and fronts the highway (5,000 acres). They can't wait this year. Another ranch I've been on is just behind (to the north) and I would assume they picked up business as well.

The ranch to the west the wife of the owner shot a 173" 3.5 year old buck several years ago. He and his wife wound up getting a divorce over it for her shooting a young deer before it's time. Now that's what I call hard core.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
thanks for the input everyone! i quess its not high fenced like chaparal. all the other wma's i've hunted at were not high fenced either. did not know about chaparal burning. i'm glad to hear the fire didn't kill any wildlife. hopefully it didn't damage the habitat too much. bow hunted chaparal 6 years ago. it was a tough hunt. only one small buck shot. i'm now trying to decide which of my rifles to take to matador. thanks again!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 6,620 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,537,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.