Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
My BIL bowhunts Southern IL (Peoria, Fulton Cos.) where he's killed several P&Y bucks. He's never hunted the West and is interested in finding out about areas he might be able to DIY bowhunt in the Milk River area of MT. Would appreciate any leads. Thanks

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Milk is one of my fav parts of the world, it's totally wonderful country.

It is however also heavily leased up and outfitted as well. I really don't have the time but I do have the invite to go up and guide for the best outfit up there this fall. Would love to go just to see it and all it has to offer once again.

Not to be difficult but leads for this country that are truly worthwhile will be tough to come by.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Send me a PM in the morning.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is nice country Dober.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No ma doubt! I have a model perfect property up there that I am looking at listing. B4 I do I'm gonna grab Mac and haul it up there to walk the property... wink

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 09/20/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Dober, when does pheasant open?

And how's the RE market up there?

Last edited by SamOlson; 09/20/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U mean it's not open...<g>

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
laughin'

You made me look.

Just as I suspected. Opens the day before general antelope.

Top 5 weekend of the year!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, I kind of thought that the season for ditch pigeons was always open...grins

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
KFC!

There is an abundance of game back home.

Easy winters.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good H20 and good horns this fall eh?

Dober

If you look at these maps you will see blue sections and yellow sections. The blue is state school trust land and the yellow is BLM. If a road touches the land you can hunt. Most state land will have a small sign saying so and you must get a state land use permit for your hunting license. I want to say again, it must be a road and the land is itself walk in only in most cases for state and established roads for BLM.

Now that I made many Montana hunters mad, good hunting. The outfitters don't lease everything, they just think so. There is also some very good block management areas you can find out about from the regional FWP office. SRM

Public and Private Land Ownership Maps

Block Management-Order Hunter Access Guide

EDIT- Do not wander onto tribal land without a tribal hunting license and regulations or you will be in Federal Court.

Last edited by MontanaVet; 09/28/08.

"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. ..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually there are lots of roads on BLM (pink and yellow) that may not be open to public access based on being landlocked by private lands.

As for State land being signed, I guess it depends on that part of the state you are in. Where I live in the state, along the Milk River, I don't know of any signed State lands. Best to have your map with you.

The only open roads on State lands for vehicular travel must be signed open. Not many of these either.

BTW, your State lands use permit is included in your prerequisite conservation license.

best of luck....

Last edited by mtmiller; 09/28/08.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Milk River is not the only good place in Montana for Whitetails.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
True, but my BIL has never hunted outside IL and has heard so much about the Milk River on the hunting shows this has become his dream hunt. So I'm trying to help him out.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
True, but my BIL has never hunted outside IL and has heard so much about the Milk River on the hunting shows this has become his dream hunt. So I'm trying to help him out.

Hint- Get on the phone and talk to Game Bioligists in the differnt Regions!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Milk is overated, IMO. Its not better or worse than any other 'river' in Montana. B&C bucks don't grow on trees in MT, especially in that country... the majority of the BIG bucks you see killed in that area are in the 140-150 class are at the very top end of what you'll find out there. You will have lots of company on public ground, and I wouldn't expect to kill a wall hanger, I wouldn't pass up a 130" buck either.

Good luck on your hunt.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks to all who responded. I'll pass along the info - quite a bit to get started on.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Another idea for your BIL is to download Google Earth. You can get a view of the area you are thinking about before you go there. If he is hunting during the week you will see let hunters. Talking to the region biologist is never a bad idea. Even the FWP Wardens will answer emails and give you some good advice. SRM

"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. ..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 29 invisible), 14,055 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,110
Posts18,542,067
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.