T
definitely will do the job with proper placement

[Linked Image]

HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ive hunted in Kansas for years and I have shot many deer with 22LRs,222 Rem. 223 Rem.,the only shot Id make with the long rifle was in the head and it would drop em like a bad habit,with good shot placement and at reasonable distances the 222-223 can complete the task,but on the other hand Ive chased deer all over the friggin woods never to be found that were not hit well with these smaller rounds,I hate sending animals back in the woods to suffer and die from a lack of poor marksmanship...............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be packing a 22 centerfire loaded with Barnes TSX for a hunt this next week. Will post my experience when I get back

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by coyo

I hate sending animals back in the woods to suffer and die from a lack of poor marksmanship...............

That works for whatever cartridge you are using. Far better to have no recoil and watch the events in the scope.

Poor marksmanship will have the same outcome with a 338.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How would they suffer from a LACK of poor marksmanship?

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Death.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you don't shoot so well to me.......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not everybody can hit a deer well enough to kill it with a .224 inch bullet. And some people would try to use it for Texas Heart shots, and wound the deer badly, but not badly enough for it to die quickly. That is why many states have laws against using them on deer. It will kill them deader than snot, but you have to know what you are doing. Large, heavier bullets give you a little bit more margin for error. And remember, most of these laws are not aimed at people who actually put in the hours at the range. They are meant for the wannabes who think that having an AR-15 and a mag full of ammo makes them a god-like hunter who can slay anything they see. Even if they never bother to zero in their rifle, or practice.

My grandfather, who is almost 90, often told us about how fast a .222 would drop bucks in Pennsylvania. He never had one walk away from it. I would assume that any of the more modern .22s would do an even better job. I personally woldn't use them, but that is more a matter of having so many other toys in line in front of them that I would be unlikely to get to a .22 until sometime around 2050.

-Mb

-Mb

Him that came down from the trees
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't legislate stupid, so why try? Nothing stops the same folks from slinging 55gr bullets from their LEGAL 243.

Stupid will always find a way, why should I suffer cuzz of fools?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.223 with trophy bonded 55 grain bullets will exit on broadside shots on Texas deer all day, with predictable results for a deer whose lungs are then the consistency of tomato soup.

I won't bother to repost pictures of all the stuff my son shot in Africa with the mighty .22 Hornet, which makes the .223 look like a magnum. Well, maybe just one:

[Linked Image]

Five more went in the bag over there, with no losses. Placement, boys. Placement.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You heard I'm moving to your area?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a wonderful pic there Steve!

I have a 9 year old Grandson and I can't wait to snap some pics over his first game. He may use my lil 223 for the first ones but being as he's gonna be about the size of magilla gorilla it may have to be something a tish bit bigger in size (my 223 is a petite Kimber SA).

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Geez,

Not this schitt again...
Don't ask, go do it, then report your failures in detail..

Oh yeah, seen more than one deer wounded with one oz. pills here, prolly not as big as Kansas deer 'tho.

Turdburglar logic would dictate something even larger.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Stupid will always find a way, why should I suffer cuzz of fools?

+1

Steve NO,
I always get a kick out of those pictures of your son with the T/C 22 Hornet.IIRC you were using factory fodder as well?

Makes me want to get a Hornet barrel for my T/C!

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While miniature rounds will work much of the time I feel a man should use the largest round that he can shoot well on game. This will on average provide less suffering of the quarry and fewer lost animals.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Guess the kids and gals are outta luck.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99
While miniature rounds will work much of the time I feel a man should use the largest round that he can shoot well on game. This will on average provide less suffering of the quarry and fewer lost animals.

Based on what Don?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now I'm going to have to stick one with my 223AI this year. It's really my varmint gun, but I hate feeling left out. Will likely even use a fireforming load. Wonder how much RL15 I can cram under a 75 in a virgin case?

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree with Savage99... using "poodle-shooters" on big game may seem "cute" or "cool" to full-grown men, but I wonder why they don't use a reasonably sized cartridge.

With smallish, young hunters, the smaller rounds are ok due to the child's inability to absorb recoil and/or possibly shoot accurately with larger cartridges, but once a hunter is big enough, he/she should use an appropriately-sized caliber to hunt big game.

Jus' my 2�... based on 60 years of hunting all kinds & sizes of game from squirrels/rabbits/pheasants/quail/groundhogs/crows to bears/deer/elk/moose with 5-foot antlers using cartridges ranging from .22 long rifle or .410 shotgun to .222 to a .338 Winchster Magnum & a 12 gauge shotgun.

Frankly, I don't understand why a hunter would WANT to use an under-sized cartridge which has a MUCH greater potential to only WOUND big game compared to a larger, more substantial cartridge that will DEFINITELY get-the-job-done!

Go figger, n'est pas?!?

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Steely,

Where you moving to?

PM me if you wish or care to share...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.