Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tag Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have just about everything I need. A few things missing from my kit that i just can't seem to make up my mind. First of all a good day pack. i have a Cabela's day pack now that is OK but I think the Badlands and the Sitka are better. I carry a Barney's frame pack into my main camp and then a daypack for hunting with enough gear for the occasional overnight from camp. Binoculars. I really have nothing. I will be using them for elk hunting in Colorado mostly during archery Elk. Any suggestions would be great.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
optics thread is a good place to check out binos

there seem to be some very good mid priced ones these days, IIRC Minox, Pentax etc. and again IIRC am thinking Phil S. uses some Leupolds for his hunting needs and likes them muchly.

hard to go wrong with the big 3, though I prefer Leica's for the newer offerings, Swaro's always seemed too bulky for my tastes, and while I'm a fan of the Zeiss classics as that's what I have and use, I'm not so impressed with their new offerings either.

then you'll get into power, believe the consensus around here is 8x or less, and it probably makes sense for most folk. I'm used to 10x and have used them so much that I feel handicapped using less. Course I don't normally hunt heavy timber. I most frequently use binocs for looking quite long distances.

believe there are some good choices for you out there, plunk down the cash if you choose with one of the big 3 and you'll probably be happy with em for the rest of your life if they fit you well.

but the same may be true for some of the moderate to cheap ones according to recent reports from campfire members.

only thing I know for certain, good glass is where it's at, hard to kill what you can't find. good luck

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leica or Swaro / anything less you are waisting your $$$$$

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Keep in mind everything is subjective to the user, but here's what I'm using and liking, expecially for the coin.

LL Bean Backpackers Pack. Very comfortable, a little heavy 5lbs 10oz, but rides very well & is quiet. It has compression straps, a water bladder pocket, has a rain fly, removable survival kit & shell holders on the belt. I regularly carry 20-25 pounds in mine and have no problems. It also has 4 anchor points for tying on meat, etc. It is sized for a long torso though, just be warned.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1&parentCategory=8870&cat4=1114

With regard to bins, I'm of the opinion that you buy the best that you can afford, or need, that work with your eyes and hands. I spent the better part of a year travling the country looking for my perfect set of bins. I settled on Zeiss Conquest 8x30s and don't need/want another set of bins. They have an amazing view and weigh in around 17 oz. Keep in mind that everyones eyes AND HANDS are different, so what works for some, does work for others. Anywho - I'd recommend taking a look through a pair. If money is no object, by all means drop the coin, you won't regret it,but keep in mind that once you get over the $500/800 threshold you're spending alot for a small % of increased view now a days. For other mids I'd take a hard look at Minox, Pentax, Vortex and the Meopta/Cabelas in the 42. For the big three my eyes prefer Zeiss, Swaro & Leica in that order.

Check out the optics forum, but it may get a little overwhelming.

Doug has the 8x30 conquests new and demo here. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissconquest523208

Best of luck.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,974
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.