Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm sure that helps many of you sleep at night.

Guessing ain't my thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Steelhead, I may be crediting you with something you didn't claim. Are you the same fellow that said you regularly shoot sub one inch groups with 22 rimfires at 100 yards using bulk ammo?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shooting50
Originally Posted by mathman
It depends on how well the reticle/target/magnification/distance combination works. With an appropriate target I can shoot sub-1" groups at 300 yards with a straight 6x Leupold on my 223.

WOW!!!!! I sure like to see that!!!!

I can do you one better. Go to a NRA High Power Rifle Match and go help pull 300yd rapid fire targets for one of the High Master shooters. Some of their 10rd rapid fire groups will embarrass you. It will at least let you know what's possible with Iron Sites much less a 6x scope...........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still, sub-inch at 300 is good in any book. That's .33 MOA or less.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Still, sub-inch at 300 is good in any book. That's .33 MOA or less.

Here's what will do it if I lay off the coffee. grin

Leupold M8 6x42AO target model, parallax dialed out

Large diamond shaped target, approx. 6" on a side drawn with about 3/4" thick lines

Typical front and rear bag rests

Remington 700 LTR, factory trigger tuned to 2 1/4 pounds, action lug area bedded, bolt lugs lapped in, barrel recrowned with a recessed 11 degree cut

Lapua brass, FL sized with slight shoulder bump
Remington 7 1/2 BR primer
N140 (can't recall charge, don't have records at work)
Berger 75 grain VLD, seated out for single load only

All loaded rounds have less than .003" TIR measured on the bullet 1/10" forward of the case mouth. Most have less than .002" runout.

The best part is I haven't really fine tuned the load.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Go to a NRA High Power Rifle Match and go help pull 300yd rapid fire targets for one of the High Master shooters. Some of their 10rd rapid fire groups will embarrass you.

I'm not on the same shooting planet as those guys. In the field I'm not going to be in Steelhead's league either. I don't get to shoot at those distances, or in varied terrain. I just like to piddle around in my reload room and pop caps at the range. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I'm NOT a High-Master shooter either (yet smile ) but I have seen enough embarrassingly small groups to at least see what is possible.
A month or two ago I shot an F-class match. The shooter on the target next to me put 5 consecutive shots into a group at 600yds that could have been covered by 1 paster! I probably wouldn't beleive it unless I saw it happen. When I was shooting there was mirage running a Minute either way. I shot a score that would have been a Master class high-power score and came in next to last. Some people can really shoot! Just maybe not always me smile .............................DJ

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That weren't me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
An optical phenomenon may shed a little, uh, light on this. The human eye can generally perceive about 1 inch at 100 yards. That's with "normal" 20/20 vision, whether your own eyesight or corrected. This means we can differentiate between black and white lines 1/2" wide (a black line and a white line together equal 1 inch).

This means that a 4x scope of decent optical quality allows us to perceive about 1/4" at 100 yards, a 6x scope about 1/6", a 10x scope about 1/10", etc. So the difference in "aiming ability" with a 4x scope is about .15" (.25" minus .10") worse than with a 10x scope, so our groups should be average about .15"

Of course all this theory does not take into account parallax, the aiming point, and our own ability to shoot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can do you one better. Go to a NRA High Power Rifle Match and go help pull 300yd rapid fire targets for one of the High Master shooters. Some of their 10rd rapid fire groups will embarrass you. It will at least let you know what's possible with Iron Sites much less a 6x scope...........................DJ

Just did that Sunday before last. Three different shooters put all ten shots in the X or 10 ring with boring regularity. None of them were High Masters and one was a fifteen-year-old girl. Made me realize just how much practice I need. grin

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use a 8-32x variable for load testing at 600. I generally am on 24 or less due to daytime mirage, and have shot groups down to almost an inch at 600(IE 1.25 basically, we just tossed a ruler on it before we tossed the target). Some days I'm down to 12-18x. Some days I can use 32. But its rare. I think the high end scopes take a LOT of getting used to and I dont' like all the extra mirage dancing around.

As to low power, it used to bother me till I started in highpower mathces with irons. It doesn't bother me anymore. Though for precision shots I"m still not averse to having 20x available if the conditions allow its use.

Irons, I've shot more than a few half inch 100 yard groups give or take size wise. ITs not hard to do. We do a lot of reduced course shooting at 200 and 300, my prone slow fire groups are 22 shots and generally a 200-12-15x which means with iron sights out of position with a sling, you can ding some tight groups. And honestly if there is no wind at 300 and the light is right to shoot a 5 shot group of an inch or so isn't hard to do. ANd I'm using service sights, not match irons. Shooting them all inside the 10 ring from 100 to 600 either slow or rapid is easy.

A LOT of it is in your brain, you have to know you can do it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This was shot with a leupy 2.5x scope at 100 yds, actually magnification is closer to 2x. Not a fluke as I've repeatedly shot similar size groups with the same scope on my 350 rigby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh, and that 350 rigby just shouldn't shoot, as it's built on mauser military action, with a wood stock, and the military trigger.

I've used 3-9 variable and fixed 6x, and somehow the groups dont' get smaller.

[Linked Image]

Some people try and make guiding a bullet way more difficult than it needs to be, and they simply don't understand the purpose of a scope. A rifle sight, iron or optical sole purpose is to allow one to consistantly hold the rifle in the same position when you shoot it. It's purpose isn't to examine the target. And for shooting paper, I like to use the square block targets and I nestle the square into the corer of the reticle. Makes for a good solid hold at 100 yds.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It obviously works for you 458.

However, if you moved out to 200 then 300, a little extra magnification would help you insure you hold the rifle the same way each time more so than magnification in the 2.5X range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Shooting them all inside the 10 ring from 100 to 600 either slow or rapid is easy.

If it's so easy, why don't people shoot 800's? smile .....................DJ

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495
I use a 8-32x variable for load testing at 600. I generally am on 24 or less due to daytime mirage, and have shot groups down to almost an inch at 600(IE 1.25 basically, we just tossed a ruler on it before we tossed the target). Some days I'm down to 12-18x. Some days I can use 32. But its rare. I think the high end scopes take a LOT of getting used to and I dont' like all the extra mirage dancing around.

As to low power, it used to bother me till I started in highpower mathces with irons. It doesn't bother me anymore. Though for precision shots I"m still not averse to having 20x available if the conditions allow its use.

Irons, I've shot more than a few half inch 100 yard groups give or take size wise. ITs not hard to do. We do a lot of reduced course shooting at 200 and 300, my prone slow fire groups are 22 shots and generally a 200-12-15x which means with iron sights out of position with a sling, you can ding some tight groups. And honestly if there is no wind at 300 and the light is right to shoot a 5 shot group of an inch or so isn't hard to do. ANd I'm using service sights, not match irons. Shooting them all inside the 10 ring from 100 to 600 either slow or rapid is easy.

A LOT of it is in your brain, you have to know you can do it.

~sigh~

Easy for you maybe...

The really good shooting I've done I think was the result of getting lucky and the wind blowing all 5 rounds into 1/4 ~ 1/2 MOA groups.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
rost,
You are absolutely right about it being in your brain.
If your rifle will do it, all that is required of small groups is consistency on your part.

If you repeat the same sight picture, you can shoot almost as well as the rifle can do. I was shooting an old Enfield No.4 sniper rifle one day, and banged off 5 into .55 at 100 yards. The group on the firing line, mostly just sighting in rifles and playing, moved out to 200 yards, so I did, too. After settling down, I shot another group of .75 at 200 meters, dead center.

The guys beside me said, "You ought to put a scope on that thing and see what it will really do."

I replied, "Maybe so", but I know it wouldn't make any difference.

I shoot a 2.5x Lyman on my old custom Mauser .270.

That said, I have been using a cheap varmint scope to evaluate loads of rifles, and it is productive enough that I am shopping for a good one, like a Swift, Nikon, or Bushnell 3200 / 4200.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
rost,
If you repeat the same sight picture, you can shoot almost as well as the rifle can do. I was shooting an old Enfield No.4 sniper rifle one day, and banged off 5 into .55 at 100 yards. The group on the firing line, mostly just sighting in rifles and playing, moved out to 200 yards, so I did, too. After settling down, I shot another group of .75 at 200 meters, dead center.

The guys beside me said, "You ought to put a scope on that thing and see what it will really do."

This post raises some suspicions. Having collected Enfeilds for years I seriously doubt that your rifle will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 200meters. Especially since the Enfeild snipers come equipped with a scope..............................DJ

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A friend of mine who collects Enfields has 2 sniper rifles with the issue scopes, one .303 and one .308.

Since you are a collector, here's a little history for you...

Not all rifles set up by any army as sniper rifles are issued, and some are never scoped. I have a 1903A3 Springfield like that, without the front sight, with a new Redfield base and rings, all minty Parkerizing, but never a scope mounted, and never issued.

My rifle, like my friend's .303, is one of 60,000 selected out of 2,500,000 Enfields gone over by the armories after WWII, and after Korea. Of those 60,000 which showed promise, some were scoped and re-issued to sharpshooters or snipers. Mine was never issued, after having been tuned at Holland & Holland and tagged, and sitting in British armory in Ireland from 1950 until 1992.

My No.4 MkI* FTR is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, and I don't intend to deface it by mounting a scope that did not come with it. The same is true of my 1903A3, although I have the correct scope for it from another Springfield. My M1D does have its original telescopic sight, which I now need to clean and rebuild, so I can keep shooting it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My No.4 MkI* FTR is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned,

Maybe but I still have an extremely hard time beleiving that it put 5 shots into .55 into 100yds and then 5 into .75 at 200 (yards or meters you mention both). No other report I've ever read on the accuracy of Enfeild Sniper rifles has reported anywhere near your claims of accuracy.
What markings show that your rifle was "tuned" by Holland and Holland?.....................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not all rifles set up by any army as sniper rifles are issued, and some are never scoped. I have a 1903A3 Springfield like that, without the front sight, with a new Redfield base and rings, all minty Parkerizing, but never a scope mounted, and never issued.

My rifle, like my friend's .303, is one of 60,000 selected out of 2,500,000 Enfields gone over by the armories after WWII, and after Korea. Of those 60,000 which showed promise, some were scoped and re-issued to sharpshooters or snipers. Mine was never issued, after having been tuned at Holland & Holland and tagged, and sitting in British armory in Ireland from 1950 until 1992.

My No.4 MkI* FTR is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, and I don't intend to deface it by mounting a scope that did not come with it. The same is true of my 1903A3, although I have the correct scope for it from another Springfield. My M1D does have its original telescopic sight, which I now need to clean and rebuild, so I can keep shooting it.

Here are a couple good references on Enfield Sniper rifles:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=3511

and especially:

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/ri10c.htm - Titled �Is my Lee Enfield sniper rifle a fake?�

To summarize if your Enfeild "Sniper" rifles doesn't come with a scope and mount it's most likely a fake. Of course it's impossible to tell for 100% sure without careful examination of your individual rifle but your post quoted above has the same air of authenticity as your tiny group size claims.....................................DJ

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,630
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.