So the .338-06 came back from the 'smith with the metal work done, the next step is to put a handle on it. normally, a fairly easy decision, but this rifle happens to have a twist. The stock needs to have a low comb for iron sights, and it needs to be either synthetic or laminate.

My current top three choices are McMillan Mauser Classic, Bansner/HTS, or a Boyd's JRS. The McM and Bansner kinda have me worried because they are described as having a comb that can be used with both scopes and iron sights. In other words, they really won't work well with either.

So my question I guess is, anyone have any anecdotes with any of the above with iron sights? Anyone have any other options I may not have thought of?

And since it'd be just plain rude to withhold them, the requisite pics and details:

[Linked Image]

Metal work and cerakote was done by Jef Rice of Rhys Precision Gunworks in Wheatland WY. Action is an Interarms Mark x originally chambered in .270 wcf. Barrel is a #3 countour Shilen with a 10 twist and cut to 23". The rear sight is a Williams FP and the front is a NECG universal ramp. The Interarms trigger and safety were discarded in favor of a Timney featherweight and a 98 mauser flag safety. Currently the rifle has the original Interarms stock that has been hogged out to fit it for testing.