-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, I would fall under the category of "soutpiel" due to the fact that I spent most of my time in Natal (Now KwaZulu Natal) . Don't ask!!!! (I'm sure someone will explain.) Pat, I must admit to being partial to the Japanese machines, hard to beat for bang for the buck. The Suzuki GSX-R Series give me somewhat of a woodie [Linked Image] The Italians certainly have more balanced performance, though, but you can't beat the sound of a good multi-cylinder engine on song. I remember years ago hearing a CBX 1000 with a Cowley 6 into 1 pipe (Cowley was a local South African manufacturer who made IMHO a better sounding and better quality pipe than the Bassani and Kerker offerings at the time). The guy riding the CBX blew past me on my lowly GT 750 3 cyl 2 stroke uphill, in the rain with smoke & steam pouring off his rear tire. The sound.... still raises the hair on my neck [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] badger.<P>------------------<BR>Gun control is good bullet placement.....<p>[This message has been edited by badger (edited April 21, 2001).]

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are spooking me a little here.I truly miss the sounds and feel of riding on the open road but I had to give up my road bike habit a few years ago due to a complete lack of self control when cranking the throttle on a fast mover. <BR>I caught myself going 125 mph (in 4th gear) down a winding country road one sunny day on my bro-in-law's Virago (blowing by a 300SX Nissan that wanted to race) and decided I was about one brain cell from becoming a splat on a phantom truck that was going to pull in front of me sometime. Had to give it up and go back to off road only. Sure miss it, but at least I'm here to talk about it. LOL- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Pat, Re your comments on the sons of the Mikado: 4.0. Highest regards, curmudgeon

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
E4E, I'm not going to get involved in this Pizzin match, just had one with some guy who is out there some wheres. I have ridden Japanese crotch rockets for years. Back in the corner of the garage sits a lonley pair of scooters, The first and foremost one is a 1969 Triumph Bonnie, Complete to the last decal and proper, I spent almost 20 years on this baby. Next to it resides my kawasaki roar rocket, 1980 KZ 1000 with big bore kit 1340 cc and turbo. Transmission is just not up to the task so it sits. But for the best ride and the coolest machine the Duc is tought to beat. I rode a 900SS some time back WOW corners like a Norton on steroids, You had to have ridden a P-11 to know of what I am speaking, very rightious. Do the Duc you wont be sorry.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
E4E Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bullwnkl,<BR>Pizzin match over.Hound had some good points,and I'm a member of the "Vast right wing conspiracy",so peace and a bit of respect extended each way it is.<BR>I kinda miss my old Bonnie for simplicity(Except the clutch nightmares!)and plain old fashioned fun.<BR>Your KZ sounds like it needs a bit of a tranny upgrade.I have this sicko maniac friend that enjoys that sort of weirdness,and does the bike wrench gig for a living.616-468-8600 ask for "Mickey" in the Service dept,and tell Mickey I sent ya,and see if he can't help you out.If he can't directly,His sicko friend with the dyno and drag bike building habits can.<BR>That tranny was never intended to put up with more than 125hp and it sounds like you have exceeded that by 100 or so!!!!<BR>I like it!<BR>The Ducati is a compromise for me really.<BR>I want everything the GSX-R has to offer,except the "Push up" riding position,and the political angle.<BR>The Triumph offerings look good on paper,but I have it on good accord that the Brits(Gawd I did it again [Linked Image])still have a genetic mental block with ignition systems(You have a Bonnie you KNOW what I mean!),and spare parts availability.<BR>The Harley powered Buell X1 is too cool and is actually what I need to do,but the call of the Duc is breaking my eardrums!<BR>Dadgum Italians just know how to make things look good...it's killing me!<BR>I gotta wait 2 weeks now before I can get my Monster,on account of the dealer messing up.<BR>In the meantime I have been second guessing the 750 and thinking of the Ms4 with the injection and 4 valve Desmo motor....<BR>Somebody just hand me the keys,take my money and get it over with before I buy a Supersport limited in angst!<BR>Thanks for the input!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is probably not what you are looking for, but my Honda Valkerie can almost keep up with just about any sport bike out there. 1800+ cc's helps.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
E4E, The KZ is a monster and a money pit. I have many thousands of green dead presidents in it. For now it is parked, I have a set of undercut gears for the tranny that should hold the power. The clutch is good enough but I either smoked the tire or lunched second gear. but when its on its realy on not many street bikes can run with her to 150 or so. I keep my bikes at my folks house as this place has no garage so not a lot of time to work on them. Summers on the way and the Bonnie becons. <BR>you know why the english drink warm beer... Lucas makes refridrators... I learned long ago never ride a limey bike in the rain. I am not PC thank you. On a lighter side , went to Montana for an extended week end to shoot ground squirrels, the 222 was the weapon of choise I used 35 gr. V-Max bullets and vaporized several dozen little furries. i have not shot these critters before what a blast. <BR>The Duc sounds not like a Harley but has a distinctive sound, kinda mean like a hot rod big block Chevy You know it's not your neighbors kids Honda. Desmo valve train is interesting hair pin springs and all, I don't remember if the new Duc's use them or not. It's been several years since i even looked at a new bike. But I am thinking that the time is near soon as i sell the Porsche.<BR>Ride on.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
E4E: I'm not into bikes, though I have ridden dirt bikes on occasion. The street is not for me. At least not in California. When I bought my ATV, my niece who went with me said a friend of hers, a girl we baby sit for, was in the process of buying a brand new Harley Sportster. This girl is 23, blonde and beautiful with two kids. She had this bike 2 months, before a trucker made a wide right turn from the left lane, with out signaling. She laid the bike down and hit the spare tire rack under the trailer. Could have killed her, leaving those two kids without a mother. But she's back up, bike fixed, and going on a run next week. I can think of better ways to spend $17,000 dollars, and to spend a weekend. But then again, probably the only thing that would come close to riding in the country, would be skydiving. Now that I like.<P>Probably the prettiest bike I've seen, would have to be the 72 or 73 Benelli Six, while I was in Italy.<P>Phil<p>[This message has been edited by Greyghost (edited April 24, 2001).]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat, so did you get the Duc yet? I have a buddy with a 900 SS, and have seen a few 916's that generate major drool. The Ducs have it all, performance, style, apeal, sound, sex on two wheels! I never did the sportbike thing, when I got married I told my wife I wanted a scoot and she said OK. Then I was honest with her, and said if I get a scoot, its got to be a fast one, and if I get a fast one, I'll ride it fast, and then I'll probably end up a quad or dead, so, no scoot.<P>Anyhow, the rice rockets are alot of ride for the $, but they got no soul. Kinda like M700's, accurate, but so what? <P>Well, the only rice rockets with soul are the ones we can't get, like the 500 two stroke twins, ooh yeah, I want one! I'll have to look up the web page, there is a guy who built a racing bike using a tulda chassis and powered it with a CR 500 motor. I figure that would be the ultimate hooligan bike, sub 300#'s, ~90 hp (you can get more but the big single lungers tend to self destruct if you get carried away), plenty of torque, and the raucous report of of big two banger. Heck, a 250 twin would be kinda neet as well, you can get NSR 250 twin crate motors, I think out of the crate they are 80+ bhp, mated to a nice light frame they would do the trick.

E4E Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
458Lott,<BR>You and I think like it would seem.<BR>I want an intermediate(Upright but feet back and a slight forward bias)position,med frame that's stiffer than a cob(Had a flirtation with a Mach III Kaw in Highschool!!!)and slung beneath it all a 1985 KX500 powerplant.<BR>Is that to much?<BR>I did the team green support thing on 125's and 250's and just can't understand the agricultural power delivery of road bikes.<BR>My DR ain't bad,but lacks the "Lungs" my race bikes had,and the ability to loft the front 1st through 4th gear.<BR>The crotch rockets are senseless to me,cuz my track days are over,and I now know what a prostate is!<BR>The speed limit means I gotta have fun below 55mph in most places(Which keeps my body parts in the same time space co-ordinates,thank god!)so that means HOOLIGAN!<BR>The Duc is waiting in Grand Rapids.I gotta get up there again Mon. to do some paper work and drop off the DR....<BR>It's all over but the twitching now!<BR>I rode the DR to work last night...I'm gonna miss it a bit.<BR>I love the look on folks faces when a dirt bike passes them at 80mph.<BR>On the way home I had to remind myself.."No wheelies in the parking lot,no wheelies in the parking lot..."I ripped a 2 shifter on the way out anyway.<BR>Possibly the Duc will settle me down [Linked Image]<BR>NAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!<BR>The thought of the repair bills will however!!!!<BR>Thank god I was broke at 18!<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pat, there goes another Africa trip! Congrats, and happy twistin'. Post a pic, would ya?<P>Talus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,<P>So what did you get, a monster? Maybe someday I'll build the hooligan bike, I think a light race chassis, CR 500 mill and just a quarter fairing would be fine, wheelies in any gear and the hearty ring ding of a two stroke. I used to race karts, nothing like the sound of a two stroke. I still have an old chassis with an even older CR 125 motor.<P>That said, the ducs have the finest exhaust note of any bike. Kinda of a cross between the rumble of a harley, but with the fine tuned purr of a Ferarri. Hmm, maybe when the kids are out of the nest.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Just a QUICK line to say a couple of things.<BR>First, I did not mean for E4E to take the cracks about being a crack smoking white supremicist blah blah personally. It was meant to be taken as sarcasm as was the comment about his smithing ability. I have NEVER herad a bad thing about his abilities nor do I believe that he is in any way a racist hatemonger. He's definitely a straight up guy as everyone who frequents here and at the other site knows. Anyway, I told him I would clarify that last week in our e-mail exchange so, that said, E4E, keep the wheels down.<P>

E4E Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just an update.<BR>The Ducati Dealer is jerking me around on price all of a sudden,now that he has me on hook.things just got expensive in the 10 g's range before T,T,T,&I,for the Monster 900 he talked me into from the 750.<BR>So I got on the horn and yakked it up with the Triumph dealer in Kazoo.....For the same dinero I can get into(Out the door)a Sprint RS triple,lower insurance rates,35 more HP,25 more ft.lbs. of torque,and only an extra 30lbs over the feathery Duc.<BR>Now what?.....<BR>I still want the Duc but the almighty dollar just made it's presence known.<BR>Aw heck,possibly I'll just keep my Jap bike another year and decide next year.<BR>Hound.Thanks for the clarification.<BR>Stick around,there's good folks here.<BR>Cheers and thanks all!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat, maybe you can find a Ducati's R Us site on the internet that sells for wholesale or something. Of course, worse things could happen than having to drive a Triumph- heck, you could end up with a Harley! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,<P>Hold out for the Duc. I think the triumphs are kinda cool, but from what I've read, they are heavy, and it seems that they are mainly relying on the nostalgia thing to sell them. The duc's are the real deal, this shouldn't be a money decision, its not a practicle rational decision, you need to get a monster!

E4E Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks,<BR>Thanks for all the encouragement and the positive comments...<BR>It's over now.<BR>Yesterday I went and test rode the Trumpet...it SHREDS!Yes it is heavy,it's riding position isn't what I was looking for,but the final nail in the coffin was the dealer offering me $2,300 for my 1 year old DRZ that sold new for #5,400!!!Then he recanted his offer to discount the Trumpet,and all the while there was this buzzing thing going on in the Sprints tank...I asked"What the hell is that?"<BR>His reply? "Oh,they do that".Then I went and rode il Monstro in Grand Rapids..I felt like the geek that got a date with the prom queen!<BR>The Duc dealer did me right,and brought the price down to within a couple c-notes of the Trumpet,and tossed some goodies into the pot.<BR>I got home and checked the consumer product safety commision web site under Triumph,and there it was."Fuel level indicator sending unit",causing fires and other hate and discontent isn't my idea of "They do that"!!!<BR>The Monster followed me home and now has a total of 27mi on her,2 from the good folks in Italy,25 from me,and many more to come!<BR>For those wondering? M900s and so red it hurts to look at it,and sounds like sex feels when it's on the pipe.<BR>Front tire wear shouldn't be much of an issue,and the thing handles like it telepathic.Break in rule mean that I cannot wind her above 5750 for 1000KM,so I'm on pins and needles till then.<BR>Thanks again all!!!!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,<P>See, I told you! Maybe when the kids are out of the house I'll get my own red mahem machine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,056
Posts18,501,122
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.