Print Thread
Hop To
D
danl Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a brand new Marlin 39A with a tight chamber that will not extract fired cases. The gun functions perfectly when I cycle live rounds through it but will not extract spent cases when fired. I have done two things to correct the problem. 1. I ordered two new extractors from Marlin and tried both. They both extract live rounds perfectly but do not work on fired cases. 2. I ordered some material from rimfire central that is supposed to react to the steel of the barrel and make it harder and slicker. After three treatments I got the rifle to function perfectly for about 25 rounds, then cases stuck same as before. I am aware of the little tool that smoothes out firing pin dings. That is not the problem. Is there any way that I can enlarge the chamber just a smidge without sending the gun back to Marlin. Squirrel season is in and I would love to be able to hunt with this rifle. Thanks for any help. I'm 150 miles from the nearest gun smith in Albuquerque and those guys stay busy in the off season. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

GB1

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a different brand ammunition. I once had a 39A that would seldom extract fired Federal cartridges, but would extract anything else. The rims were slightly rounder in front on those Federals.

If yours has the bent sheet metal extractor, check the end shape. The shape on the left doesn't work as well as the shape on the right.

Bruce

Attached Images
11235-Marlinextractor.jpg (19.11 KB, 219 downloads)
Last edited by bcp; 10/20/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You could have the chamber polished smooth

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
danl Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
BCP, Thanks for the help! I have tried Federals, Remington, and Winchester, all with the same results. The extractor resembles the one on the right. It has a sharp angle as it slides down the cut out in the barrel. On the original extractor I tried to widen the loop a little and it immediately snapped in half. It was extremely brittle. I guess it needs to be hard and brittle to last any length of time. One thing I have noticed that does'nt seem right is that the chamber appears to be very slightly oval instead of perfectly round. Also, the spent cases at least appear to be a little oval when I push them out with a cleaning rod. Thanks again.

D
danl Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
BEA, Thanks, Could I polish the chamber myself? How is it done?

IC B2

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by danl
...the chamber appears to be very slightly oval instead of perfectly round. Also, the spent cases at least appear to be a little oval ...

I think it is time to call Marlin. The only way to polish/ream an oval chamber to make it round will make it oversize.

Bruce

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 17,157 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,888
Posts18,538,442
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.