Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I read some threads from 2-4 years ago about poor or rough quality in certain instances. Anyone have a MRC 1999 from the last year or 2? How is it? Smooth? accurate?
Would you buy or build off of one nowadays? Lemme know

Last edited by SAKO75; 10/20/08.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older one that looks good and works great. nice and smooth. Had Pacnor make it a 7X57AI, they didn't have to do anything to the action. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got another one in July. It is stainless, so I dont think it is any rougher than any other stainless rifle I have owned or worked the action on. I know they improved the look of the lettering on this one versus the one I got in 04. It looks laser engraved, even the lettering on the action looks better. The first one looks like a child punched the letters for the letters on the barrel with a punch set, one letter at a time, they are not lined up. Barrel doesnt seem to foul up to quickly, cleans up pretty easy too. This one is dead nuts accurate. Its a 308 Norma, and it shoots so good it is almost boring. Just bloodied it on 3 speed goats in WY a couple of weeks ago. No complaints here.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one from the Classifieds here. It started off as a Serengetti 358 Norma Magnum and was later placed into a McMillan Edge and re-barreled to 264WM. The rifle shoots everything I've tried sub-MOA but I had some problems.

1) The Bolt Stop was not switched out for the 264WM.
2) The extractor wasn't changed out for the 264WM.
3) The Mag Box and follower were also for a 375H&H and had to be exchanged.
4) The chamber was cut very roughly and had a step at the shoulder.

The only issue that was MRC's fault was the chamber and that was done prior to the current ownership and to their credit MRC stepped up and re-chambered the barrel for me at no charge. I had to buy all of the 264WM bolt and mag parts but they were also replaced free of charge and the original 375 length parts were returned to me.

I really like the smoothness of the action and would do business with them again.......In fact a 375H&H Mannlicher is planned for the near future.

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 10/21/08.

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There was a big thread on this a few months ago. There is a lot of bad blood left over from the father ran things. (Myself included) The son has seemed to step up the quality but don't expect a Stiller type action. You also still hear of complaints now and again. A lot of the complaints also has to do with organization as well as the action itself.

I see the qualilty kind of like Kimber's. People love them for the most part but there is always that dud. The action even provokes the same emotional response. Even though I have had several horrible experiences with them I thought about giving them another try since I need a 338 Win Mag.

One thing that is holding me back is the price. For what a bare action goes I could purchase a used Win 70. Their actions do fill in the left handed and stainless niche. Also, getting them in the hands of a good smith, such as Serengetti, brings out the full potential of the action. But your going to pay.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny you should mention Stiller. If I told you my story about my experience with Stiller, you probably wouldn't consider one of his actions for a hunting rifle. But, I guess the point is there is a horror story to be told about everybody by somebody, and you must judge the quality on your own experiences. Sometimes that is an expensive lesson.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Has anyone seen the MRC 1999 Professional Hunter action. Have any been delivered to the pre-production buyers?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have two Montana 99'S one in 264 Win Mag and one in 243 Win. The 264 has a # 4 contour barrel and the 243 has a Pac-nor # 3 barrel . I have had zero problems and love both rifles. I restocked the 243 in a McMillian Edge and the 264 in HS Precision . I also have two Left Hand Model 70's 270 and 270 WSM.
I believe the Model 70 is a smoother action than the Montana.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.